Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Age of Officals

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

What is the minimum age of an official in the League. The Touchy in the Brow v Egremont game looked about 14.

HW

#2 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thought he did ok,at least he wasn't afraid to put his flag up,unlike some of his older colleagues I have seen

#3 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yes he did, but as my lad said, he wouldn't be serving him a pint.

HW

Edited by Havenwarrior, 02 March 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#4 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Can an appointed touch judge play in the 2nd team of one of the teams he's officiating? To me this puts him and everyone involved in an awkward position.

#5 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 802 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

What is the minimum age of an official in the League. The Touchy in the Brow v Egremont game looked about 14.
HW

There is a minimum age for the Ref but the TJ will be down to who us available/ appointed although for RFL games it is usually 18 plus

#6 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 802 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Can an appointed touch judge play in the 2nd team of one of the teams he's officiating? To me this puts him and everyone involved in an awkward position.

Should have declined the appointment

#7 D34n0

D34n0
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

There was a very young trio of officials today at Stanningley; don't like to moan about referee's but with 1 minute left to play, two players throwing a single punch at each other surely there is no need for two red cards.

One of the worst refs I have seen at conference level.

#8 merryflagwaver

merryflagwaver
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

single punch each, strong talk and bin both to stop anything escalating in final minute. there ya go job done give us a whistle

#9 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

single punch each, strong talk and bin both to stop anything escalating in final minute. there ya go job done give us a whistle

If you decide to bin them there is no need for talk, strong or otherwise, just show the card.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#10 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

We had a 14 year old touch judge on Saturday. One of our players scored, with lots of bodies around him, so the ref couldn't see him place the ball down, but it was very clear from the touchline. I asked the touchy why he hadn't given it, as the ref did look across at the time for his reaction. He said he's just there for goal kicks and watching the touchline!
Similarly in the Challenge Cup we had a try scored past us from a huge forward pass, and when the touchy was questioned on why he hadn't flagged it he said "It's not my job!"

Makes me wonder why they're there really!

#11 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

We had a 14 year old touch judge on Saturday. One of our players scored, with lots of bodies around him, so the ref couldn't see him place the ball down, but it was very clear from the touchline. I asked the touchy why he hadn't given it, as the ref did look across at the time for his reaction. He said he's just there for goal kicks and watching the touchline!
Similarly in the Challenge Cup we had a try scored past us from a huge forward pass, and when the touchy was questioned on why he hadn't flagged it he said "It's not my job!"

Makes me wonder why they're there really!

And he was right. The referee makes the decison of forward passes, the TJ can give his or her opinion... but they wouldnt do it by raising their flag.

#12 smile

smile
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

And he was right. The referee makes the decison of forward passes, the TJ can give his or her opinion... but they wouldnt do it by raising their flag.

Is this only for challenge cup matches or across the board

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Is this only for challenge cup matches or across the board

Accross the board - a TJ doesnt signal a forward pass by raising their flag.

#14 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

The TJ would stop where the forward pass happened and hold his flag against his chest.

The clubs have to pay these lads and some of them aren't fit for purpose.

#15 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

The TJ would stop where the forward pass happened and hold his flag against his chest.

The clubs have to pay these lads and some of them aren't fit for purpose.

Get some training done , if you need to , then you can get running down the touch line and show everyone how to do it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users