Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington game today

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I was Working today but believe horrendous weather conditions,and pitch was like a bog in some areas of pitch not good I believe, 1 player sent off 1 in the bin but on a positive got the bonus point! Did any one go to the game today that could give us an update about the game

Edited by mickburkes boots, 02 March 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#2 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

I went.....

Firstly I will give massive credit to both teams in awful conditions.

However, I would say today was a s**t game, played by 2 s**t teams, in very s**t conditions!!

It may sound harsh and again credit to the efforts and our fitness but in attack I think were pretty poor. I know conditions limit how a team can play but even taking that in to accout I think all 3 games have been similar.

But maybe its not all bad news, I don't think were to far off so maybe watto and co can fix it and fix it quick. With 5 teams going down we can't make many errors.

I suppose a bonus point today is really a bonus due to a red and a yellow but we definitely, 100 %,, no excuses need to, HAVE TO WIN NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

I think that's a bit harsh Wayne, Wigan and St Helens would have struggled to put any kind of show on in those conditions a very wet pitch which cut up and strong wind and driving rain for most of the game made it almost impossible to stand up let alone run.
It was noticeable how Town scored there points when the pitch resembled a pitch. Plus let's give them great credit for some tenacious defending.
I believe Ritchie Hawkyard may well have torn a groin and the sending off was laughable especially when moments later Town committed a high shot and play was waved on.
We should also credit the lads for never giving up

#4 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

I still find it hard to believe that in the first half we had a driving wind behind us, kicked 3 40/20s but still managed to go in 16 - 6 down at half time. They beat us hands down in the forwards and we gave away penalty after penalty allowing them to get up the field to score. Second half we played into the wind with 11 men at one point, restricted them to just 1 penalty goal and kept them pinned in there own half for a large amount of time by fronting them up in the middle of the park. Go figure!
We had pace to burn out wide with Penny and Riley on the wings but they were never going to get to stretch their legs.

It was a tough trip to play hard rugby on a soft pitch and a bonus point is all we deserved!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Real old fashioned wet and muddy winter rugby conditions out there at Derwent Park today (in days long ago both teams would have donned clean jerseys for the second 40 minutes). In such conditions fast points scoring football was never going to be served up by either side. Two gritty defences proved to be the main winners today. It wasn't pretty but it was effective in coming away with a well deserved bonus point.

Will no doubt do much better as conditions hopefully improve and as the season progresses.

Well done to Watto and the lads.

#6 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

I enjoyed the Workington game but not the result. It was a real battle in the mud and I thought we never gave up. I think we have to have realistic expectations this season. Another great try from Kevin Penny was the highlight of a damp afternoon. I bet we beat Workington when we play at Leigh later in the season.

#7 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Soundslike the old time winter rugby Not good but suppose we stayed in the arm wrestle dug in well done guys let's get a win on Sunday

Edited by mickburkes boots, 03 March 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#8 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Marshy.. I don't think I am being harsh because I did say i appreciate the effort and fitness in them conditions but like someone as said in the first half we had all the ball plus 40/20s and only scored once where as town scored 3 times in the same conditions. So I stand by the fact that in attack we are poor

Wayne

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Marshy.. I don't think I am being harsh because I did say i appreciate the effort and fitness in them conditions but like someone as said in the first half we had all the ball plus 40/20s and only scored once where as town scored 3 times in the same conditions. So I stand by the fact that in attack we are poor

Wayne

Fair comment.

#10 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

A very difficult game due to conditions, and I thought both teams did well to play to the end and keep going. Thought the sending off was a bit harsh but I can see why the ref did it as it was the second bad challenge from your lad, but as I said a yellow would have been enough. Good luck for the rest of the season, I thought both our teams are going to need it.

#11 honest tryer

honest tryer
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I personally feel that the sending off,was a big factor in this game.it came as the swinton forwards were beginning to get on top in a very physical game,played in terrible underfoot conditions.As said in earlier posts,workington fans feel that Morrison was guilty of earlier fouls.But it was his one and only,(alleged foul,)in the entire match! It was J Brown who was put on report,not Morrison.In light of the many fouls,punished and unpunished,that were committed by both sides,I believe the ref acted harshly and hastily.If a Workington player,was sent off in these circumstances,their fans would have gone ballistic.That aside,rant over.well played Workington, (a great family club,) and good luck for the rest of the season.

#12 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

So it wasn't his 2nd foul? In that case it was definitely harsh. I thought the biggest difference was kicking game, ours was non existent while yours was excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users