Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC to axe a TV Channel?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Personally, I don't watch enough of BBC3 or BBC 4 to warrant a hissy fit, but it would be sad to see one go.

http://www.dailymail...C3-BBC4-go.html

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Definitely not BBC4. It's great for music.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I like both BBC 3 and 4, they serve different roles. BBC 2 doesn't seem to have much of a defined role, though.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,787 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

BBC4 is a wonderful thing, even now its budget has been slashed. 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

i'll let them cancel everything else!

just not BBC4

actually stick the RL on BBC4 and i have my own channel!

Edited by Mister C, 03 March 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#6 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

BBC2 is for stuff that's not quite mainstream enough for BBC1.

I like BBC4 - but BBC3 is good for younger viewers. But which is best? There's only one way to find out....

FFFFIIIIGGGGHTTTTTT!!!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

BBC4 must stay. Although it would be quite strange to have BBC4 but no BBC3.

#8 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Foreign language dramas and Victoria Coren led game shows with the odd music documentary wins it for me! the kids are all out happy slapping and sexting each other to really care anyway

Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,635 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

I have a brilliant idea that will save this channel. Why not claw back the £100 million wasted on the failed  DMI project from those responsible?

Actually, the whole thing sounds like sabre-rattling ..there must be some sort of licence review coming up.

Still , thing are looking  up at BBC News And Current Affairs. Susannah Reid is leaving to join ITV!!!

#10 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

merge them and call it "7" ;)

Edited by my missus, 04 March 2014 - 05:12 PM.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#11 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

merge them and call it "7" ;)

3.5?

#12 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

About time. We need another BBC channel to what the people really want. Haven't they wasted enough of the licence fee on ghettocasting?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

About time. We need another BBC channel to what the people really want. Haven't they wasted enough of the licence fee on ghettocasting?

Who doesn't want lots of documentaries on Blues musicians? They are certainly popular on this forum.

#14 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Who doesn't want lots of documentaries on Blues musicians? They are certainly popular on this forum.

Sorry, I didn't put an ironing emoticon in my post. ;)

That's one of the things I love about BBC4.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#15 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

A think tank suggested dissolving BBC4 into BBC as there demigraph is virtually the same, and turning BBC3 back into an experimenal entertainment channel. No one loses same stuff just on 3 rather than 4 channels.

#16 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

A think tank suggested dissolving BBC4 into BBC as there demigraph is virtually the same, and turning BBC3 back into an experimenal entertainment channel. No one loses same stuff just on 3 rather than 4 channels.

If tanks had intelligence, 'think tanks' would be mincemeat.

#17 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

BBC3 shows some absolutely dreadful TV that wouldn't get made on commercial TV because it's so totally asinine.  Essentially, BBC4 ripped BBC3 a new one when Charlie Brooker parodied the mission documentary, a genre which BBC3 has pioneered.  I'm looking at the channels now; Don't Tell the Bride and a hairdressing competition on BBC3, Weird Nature and Billy Elliot on BBC4.  Take them both, seriously.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

People’s general response to BBC cuts is “cut what I don’t watch”, which is wholly unfair.

The biggest mess of a channel at the moment is actually BBC 2. No real identity, no clue what to do with itself outside of primetime – if the channel was higher up the guide it would really struggle to get any sort of audience outside of maybe Top Gear. Say what you like about 3 and 4, at least they have a clear identity and remit.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

People’s general response to BBC cuts is “cut what I don’t watch”, which is wholly unfair.

The biggest mess of a channel at the moment is actually BBC 2. No real identity, no clue what to do with itself outside of primetime – if the channel was higher up the guide it would really struggle to get any sort of audience outside of maybe Top Gear. Say what you like about 3 and 4, at least they have a clear identity and remit.

I think, personally, they need to merge BBC2 and BBC Four (and call it BBC 2).  The latter has some flashes of intelligent programming but so much of it is documentaries that don't deserve the term.  In both cases they should be on BBC 2 - that's what BBC 2 was there for and it's beyond a shame that it's now fundamentally a BBC 1 Lite.  You could then keep BBC 3 for edgier comedy and youth-orientated reality stuff. So, if I were king, it would go:

BBC 1 - Mainstream news, drama, comedy, entertainment, popular sport

BBC 2 - Arts, music, culture, documentary, film, less popular sport, European imports

BBC 3 - 'New' comedy, youth programming, US imports

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

I think, personally, they need to merge BBC2 and BBC Four (and call it BBC 2).  The latter has some flashes of intelligent programming but so much of it is documentaries that don't deserve the term.  In both cases they should be on BBC 2 - that's what BBC 2 was there for and it's beyond a shame that it's now fundamentally a BBC 1 Lite.  You could then keep BBC 3 for edgier comedy and youth-orientated reality stuff. So, if I were king, it would go:

BBC 1 - Mainstream news, drama, comedy, entertainment, popular sport

BBC 2 - Arts, music, culture, documentary, film, less popular sport, European imports

BBC 3 - 'New' comedy, youth programming, US imports

I think that's a pretty fair reflection of things. I also think BBC4 is the new BBC2. I'd hate to see BBC3 go completely as it is a good proving ground and there have been some good show that began life there before crossing over to the more mainstream BBC2 or even BBC1.

Also, BBC3 is the home of 'Being Human' and deserves saving for that alone. :) 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users