Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC to axe a TV Channel?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

In any case both BBC 3 and BBC 4 don't start till 7 pm, IIRC

Instead of developing content to fit the time avaialble, how about developing content to fit the budget?

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

In any case both BBC 3 and BBC 4 don't start till 7 pm, IIRC

Instead of developing content to fit the time avaialble, how about developing content to fit the budget?

The BBC3 and BBC4 frequencies are used for CBBC and CBeebies during the day, even though they have a different channel number on your EPG.

Edited by Futtocks, 05 March 2014 - 10:35 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hmm...

Bh-HicfCMAAocHH.jpg

Edited by Futtocks, 05 March 2014 - 02:44 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

BBC3 shows some absolutely dreadful TV that wouldn't get made on commercial TV because it's so totally asinine. 

You've not watched much commercial TV then?

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

In the digital world I can't see why the BBC can't use it's online presence to debut new comedies and so on.  Anything that turns out to be good can be moved onto BBC2, which often has space fillers on anyway.

In fact, I can't see why the BBC doesn't ramp up the iplayer to make it a proper fee-paying service to people outside the UK.  They have a vast archive of content, much of it of a quality that would blow Netflix out of the water.

That's me.  I'm done.

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hmm...

Bh-HicfCMAAocHH.jpg

Seems a very sensible plan!

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

The BBC3 and BBC4 frequencies are used for CBBC and CBeebies during the day, even though they have a different channel number on your EPG.

Those two channels should be sacrosanct.  It's wonderful to have advert free TV for children IMO.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Seems a very sensible plan!

BBC3 is aimed at a yoof audience, who are the most likely to watch more TV programmes online than any other, so yes.

#29 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

BBC3 is aimed at a yoof audience, who are the most likely to watch more TV programmes online than any other, so yes.

It does seem to make sense.  I can't imagine my daughter ever really watching TV in the way we did as kids - at set times, dictated to by the channel.

I have to admit that we watch less and less live TV.   We're currently working our way through the Netflix catalogue.  Between that, the downloads off Sky, the Iplayer and 4OD probably the only thing we actually watch live is sport.   And even that tends to be on a fifteen or twenty minute delay to avoid ads and the half time dribble.

That's me.  I'm done.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

I must be old-fashioned! To me, television is something of the moment, and I very rarely resort to iPlayer and the like for something I have missed, unless it is something I really really wanted to watch.

Radio, on the other hand, is different. I've spent plenty of time searching out episodes of things I've missed, especially classic comedy shows.

Edited by Futtocks, 05 March 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#31 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I must be old-fashioned! To me, television is something of the moment, and I very rarely resort to iPlayer and the like for something I have missed, unless it is something I really really wanted to watch.

Radio, on the other hand, is different. I've spent plenty of time searching out episodes of things I've missed, especially classic comedy shows.

It's only since I got a set of Airplay speakers at Christmas that I've really found radio to work on the internet.  The new BBC radio app is really good and the whole things works like a dream out of the box.  Frankly, there isn't much radio outside the BBC that's worth a damn, although some podcasts are quite good.

Fast enough broadband to make it possible for someone to watch TV while someone else in the house worked or listened to the radio only arrived in our village late last summer.   Before that, the radio would drop out if an email arrived and TV programmes needed to download for twenty minutes before you could start watching them. 

That's me.  I'm done.

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Frankly, there isn't much radio outside the BBC that's worth a damn, although some podcasts are quite good.

There are some good classical music stations online, from both Europe and the USA. My Dad's a total convert.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Just remembered reading this in October, which could be what will take up BBC3's evening space on the national multiplex: BBC One to launch new +1 channel.

A +1 service is one area where the BBC haven't gone yet, compared to ITV, C4 etc.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Frequencies? How quaint in this digital world.

Still making BBC3 on line is at least a part solution. I wonder how it  will affect programme costs.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Me too. 

#36 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

Still making BBC3 on line is at least a part solution. I wonder how it  will affect programme costs.

Frequencies are quite important in the digital world. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

It's only since I got a set of Airplay speakers at Christmas that I've really found radio to work on the internet.  The new BBC radio app is really good and the whole things works like a dream out of the box.  Frankly, there isn't much radio outside the BBC that's worth a damn, although some podcasts are quite good.

Fast enough broadband to make it possible for someone to watch TV while someone else in the house worked or listened to the radio only arrived in our village late last summer.   Before that, the radio would drop out if an email arrived and TV programmes needed to download for twenty minutes before you could start watching them. 

Frankly, there isn't much radio outside the BBC that's worth a damn, although some podcasts are quite good.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Frequencies are quite important in the digital world. 

quite so, but not in the conventional sense of one channel per frequency. http://www.ukfree.tv...ryid=1107051920

However, the point is that by switching  from terrestrial to on-line transmission is not going to make much dent in the costs, in my view. For the BBC to recover the £100 million it wasted on the DMI , on excessive pay and pay-offs etc, it will have to reduce the costs of producing  content. 

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

quite so, but not in the conventional sense of one channel per frequency. http://www.ukfree.tv...ryid=1107051920

However, the point is that by switching  from terrestrial to on-line transmission is not going to make much dent in the costs, in my view. For the BBC to recover the £100 million it wasted on the DMI , on excessive pay and pay-offs etc, it will have to reduce the costs of producing  content. 

Online production tends to be lower quality and shorter and with less in the way of repeat fees to pay out.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Okay, they share the same multiplex slot on each of the UK broadcast regions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users