Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC to axe a TV Channel?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

And yet it's still less than the BBC used to show.

When did they ever show much blues?

#62 Cookiepuss

Cookiepuss
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

BBC 2 should run a late-night music show each day building up to Later, each time that series is on.

These should be short and genre-specific while Later tries to cover more bases in a longer time slot.

I'm not the biggest fan of Later to be honest but while it's on it should be supported by a stronger music offer.

Something like urban, rock, indie and roots for example. 

#63 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

When did they ever show much blues?

In specific seasons like they do now.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#64 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

BBC 2 should run a late-night music show each day building up to Later, each time that series is on.

These should be short and genre-specific while Later tries to cover more bases in a longer time slot.

I'm not the biggest fan of Later to be honest but while it's on it should be supported by a stronger music offer.

Something like urban, rock, indie and roots for example. 

Hang on.  Later's on BBC 2.  But Northern Sol is insistent that BBC Four is the go-to music station and there's no audience overlap.

- Severus, July 2012

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hang on.  Later's on BBC 2.  But Northern Sol is insistent that BBC Four is the go-to music station and there's no audience overlap.

Oh yeah all music is just "music". Like rugby is just "rugby". Why should you be annoyed that the SLS isn't on the Beeb, you've got the six nations to watch? It's not like there is no overlap and maybe they'll do a rugby league special every decade or so.

BBC4 does blues, r&b, soul etc very, very well. I would not like to see that go just because Later might have the occasional blues band on. That's nice but there's nothing there that I couldn't get from youtube. An excellent docu recently on Chess records.

What does BBC2 offer? TOTP2 with Status Quo!

Edited by Northern Sol, 07 March 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#66 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Oh yeah all music is just "music". Like rugby is just "rugby". Why should you be annoyed that the SLS isn't on the Beeb, you've got the six nations to watch? It's not like there is no overlap and maybe they'll do a rugby league special every decade or so.

BBC4 does blues, r&b, soul etc very, very well. I would not like to see that go just because Later might have the occasional blues band on. That's nice but there's nothing there that I couldn't get from youtube. An excellent docu recently on Chess records.

BBC4 have been showing repeats of TOTP for a couple of years now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

...and BBC2 haven't shown TOTP for ages.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

BBC1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ops_09_03_1979/

BBC2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...TP2_Status_Quo/

BBC4

not found: you can look through the music category yourself:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es/music?page=1

#69 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

BBC1:

BBC2:

BBC4

I don't need to, I've seen it on there myself. BBC4 have been showing 25 year old TOTP for about two years now. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#70 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

BBC1:

BBC2:

BBC4

I don't know what those station idents are doing on the main image, but if you click on the 'more programme information' link, it says both of those were broadcast on BBC4. Odd.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#71 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

I don't know what those station idents are doing on the main image, but if you click on the 'more programme information' link, it says both of those were broadcast on BBC4. Odd.

Probably because they were originally broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2. Those are the channels responsible for making such rubbish. 

#72 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

None of that would go though.  If this had been properly thought through it would have kept what was unique about BBC Three (which much of it is, but you keep calling it "Yoof TV" like it's something Janet Street Porter did) and given their other channels a useful identity.

But they haven't so the issue of exactly what BBC Four's purpose is won't go away and when it next comes up there won't be a sacrificial BBC Three to shut down instead.

- Severus, July 2012

#73 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Strange, that.For as we all now know, its your role model moneybags Blair who is the one who is closest to the  Murdochs.

“Whatever why I’m so so missing Tony. Because he is so so charming and his clothes are so good. He has such good body and he has really really good legs Butt . . . And he is slim tall and good skin. Pierce blue eyes which I love. Love his eyes. Also I love his power on the stage . . . and what else and what else and what else . . . ”

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2014/03/wendi-deng-note-tony-blair

Why do you have to be so personal John?  It's common knowledge that Blair cozied up to Murdoch, but it's also common knowledge that Murdoch wanted the BBC to be hamstrung and Cameron obliged almost as soon as he got into power.  For one man to have such power over our leaders surely must be seen as a bad thing for our democracy.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#74 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

None of that would go though.  If this had been properly thought through it would have kept what was unique about BBC Three (which much of it is, but you keep calling it "Yoof TV" like it's something Janet Street Porter did) and given their other channels a useful identity.

But they haven't so the issue of exactly what BBC Four's purpose is won't go away and when it next comes up there won't be a sacrificial BBC Three to shut down instead.

I think BBC4 is the channel (aside from BBC1) with the clearest identity. I'm not really sure why it is in question.

BBC3 might have stuff that isn't Porteresque but it doesn't float my boat. As far as I can see, it's mainly comedies that wouldn't otherwise have been commissioned. I, for one, do not think Little Britain should ever have been commissioned.

#75 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

BBC3 mades sense as a place to try shows that might be rubbish without bothering decent God-fearing folk.  However, they can use iPlayer for that now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#76 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

BBC3 mades sense as a place to try shows that might be rubbish without bothering decent God-fearing folk.  However, they can use iPlayer for that now.

Which would be great if everyone had fast broadband with no download usage caps with which to access iPlayer. But they don't.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#77 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

I think BBC4 is the channel (aside from BBC1) with the clearest identity. I'm not really sure why it is in question.

BBC3 might have stuff that isn't Porteresque but it doesn't float my boat. As far as I can see, it's mainly comedies that wouldn't otherwise have been commissioned. I, for one, do not think Little Britain should ever have been commissioned.

It was a hugely popular show. Why on earth shouldn't it have been commissioned?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#78 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

It was a hugely popular show. Why on earth shouldn't it have been commissioned?

I find it very lazy. Every sketch is just a version on a theme. For instance the bigot woman who starts vomiting whenever minorities or homosexuals are mention is very funny. Once. But they milk that sketch with a dozen different variations.

Monty Python did one version of the dead parrot sketch. Little Britain (and the Fast Show as well) would have done that same sketch every week with people complaining about dogs, cats, budgies and hamsters.

Though tbf to BBC3, I did like the Mighty Boosh.

#79 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

TOTP on Thursday at 7.30 is great fun, especially if you follow along on twitter. It's up to 1979 now. This week was pretty good. Buzzcocks, Pistols (Legs and Co!!) and a few others.
Great memories of when TOTP was a real important show not to be missed.

Edit: on BBC4

Edited by Johnoco, 08 March 2014 - 12:41 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#80 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

TOTP on Thursday at 7.30 is great fun, especially if you follow along on twitter. It's up to 1979 now. This week was pretty good. Buzzcocks, Pistols (Legs and Co!!) and a few others.
Great memories of when TOTP was a real important show not to be missed.

Edit: on BBC4

I watched it the other night, Sandie Shaw singing "Long, Long Live Love" but they showed the rehearsal, presumably because the broadcast version had you know who on it, up to no good on air perhaps?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users