Have a trip down it!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

If you've never had a trip down Gaping Gill, you've really missed something. It's the largest cave in Britain and can only be entered (other than by experts) via a bosun's chair on a winch.

Definitely an experience for children between eight and eighty!

The Spring Bank entry is organised by Bradford Potholing Club. There is one in August organised by Craven Potholing Club.

http://www.bpc-cave....gaping_gill.htm

Edited by Wolford6, 03 March 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

After getting stuck for 5-10 mins in a thing called the Postbox in a cave in the Brecon Beacons, I have to say my caving days are behind me!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Gaping Gill. I know her well.

#4 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Vaguely remember going down there in the past.

I certainly remember going down Long Churn cave and squeezing through the cheese press. Don't think I'd get through there these days without shedding a pound or two.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Never made it to Gaping Ghyll but those of you who have met me will find it astonishing that I made it through the Cheese Press on numerous occasions... down to the Balcony, across the Greasy Slab  and right down to the bottom of Alum Pot.

GC%20J2-1%20Long%20Churn%20and%20Diccan%

Edited by JohnM, 04 March 2014 - 08:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users