Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gaping Gill

Have a trip down it!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

If you've never had a trip down Gaping Gill, you've really missed something. It's the largest cave in Britain and can only be entered (other than by experts) via a bosun's chair on a winch.

Definitely an experience for children between eight and eighty!

The Spring Bank entry is organised by Bradford Potholing Club. There is one in August organised by Craven Potholing Club.

http://www.bpc-cave....gaping_gill.htm

Edited by Wolford6, 03 March 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

After getting stuck for 5-10 mins in a thing called the Postbox in a cave in the Brecon Beacons, I have to say my caving days are behind me!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Gaping Gill. I know her well.

#4 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Vaguely remember going down there in the past.

I certainly remember going down Long Churn cave and squeezing through the cheese press. Don't think I'd get through there these days without shedding a pound or two.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Never made it to Gaping Ghyll but those of you who have met me will find it astonishing that I made it through the Cheese Press on numerous occasions... down to the Balcony, across the Greasy Slab  and right down to the bottom of Alum Pot.

GC%20J2-1%20Long%20Churn%20and%20Diccan%

Edited by JohnM, 04 March 2014 - 08:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users