Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Eels Vs Warriors Premier Sports

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have read on another forum that this game is going to be free to air on Sunday morning at 7.30 am as part of a taster weekend.

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

I have read on another forum that this game is going to be free to air on Sunday morning at 7.30 am as part of a taster weekend.

Excellent, go the warriors. Got a feeling that the warriors will either be sensational or dire this season, no in between for them.

#3 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

Good news.

Andrew Voss and his speech impediment off sider have the call.

Perenara & Adam Devchich are the Reffs ( don't ask, this is a bottom of the barrell match as far as the NRL broadcasters are concerned, Perenara you all know is a questionable Ref , the other bloke I've never heard of).

Thrown together in round one yet again.

The Eels and the Warriors. The NRL opening round is chosen by putting together the four best combatants ( Manly V Storm , Roosters V Rabittohs ) and giving the Broncos the Friday games. There after , in the same Vein , they come up with the most interesting clashes they could muster till they get to the bottom of the table and find the Eels need an ugly step Sister ( Warriors).

Fair enough to , for too long neither side has deserved higher billing in the scheme of things.

Don't let that Fool you into thinking this game won't be worth watching.

If Sam Tomkins Versus Jared Hayne doesn't float your boat....

What about two big forward packs ( the Eels fire for Warriors games and Fuifui Moimoi and co belt the Warriors ).

The Warriors have responded by selecting their biggest , most physical pack in years, especially for this game.

Tomkins + Johnson , Hayne and Hopoate will have plenty of space to work off the back of those packs.

How about throwing in the return of rising super star Will Hopoate after his two year absence serving his Religious Mission. 

Still not interested ? Well have a Look at the two big Wingers the Eels have gone for , one of whom will go head to head with Manu Vatuvei...affectionately known as the beast.

In the halves unfortunately Chris Sandow has been left out....but young Corey Norman makes his Eels debut fresh from the Broncos.

The Warriors boast Shaun Johnson , but it is likely new recruit Chad Townsend who left Cronulla after not being able to get a start, will make the biggest change to how the Warriors play this season. A structured half to compliment Johnson's Rangi Chase instinctive type half skills.

If you are an Eels fan and your team is right in the contest or leading after the opening twenty minutes , then chances are the Eels bench which is stronger than their run on side will carry them home.

World cup team USA 'Shock the World' Captain Joseph Paulo is part of that handy bench for the Eels and will be an important ball playing forward......

The Warriors have a counter in Feleti Mateo...the secound best offloading forward in the game behind SBW.

This game will be a tough match.

Both teams have a lot to prove , the Eels love playing the Warriors and have a great winning record over them.

The Warriors on the other hand come into this game happy and full of confidence , that's a dangerous combination in Warrior folklore. 

The Warriors are missing the human wrecking ball Konrad Hurrell in the centers , the Eels will be relieved about that....as am i that Lee Mossop won't be out there either.

Both teams have shakey outside defenders and plenty of attacking skill, likely there will be lots of Try's.

Glen Fisiahi our skinniest player went over for two last week off Sam Tomkins shifts of the ball outwide.

Put him down for surprise lead try scorer 2014

Edited by mt smart, 05 March 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Good news.

Andrew Voss and his speech impediment off sider have the call.

Perenara & Adam Devchich are the Reffs ( don't ask, this is a bottom of the barrell match as far as the NRL broadcasters are concerned, Perenara you all know is a questionable Ref , the other bloke I've never heard of).

Thrown together in round one yet again.

The Eels and the Warriors. The NRL opening round is chosen by putting together the four best combatants ( Manly V Storm , Roosters V Rabittohs ) and giving the Broncos the Friday games. There after , in the same Vein , they come up with the most interesting clashes they could muster till they get to the bottom of the table and find the Eels need an ugly step Sister ( Warriors).

Fair enough to , for too long neither side has deserved higher billing in the scheme of things.

Don't let that Fool you into thinking this game won't be worth watching.

If Sam Tomkins Versus Jared Hayne doesn't float your boat....
What about two big forward packs ( the Eels fire for Warriors games and Fuifui Moimoi and co belt the Warriors ).
The Warriors have responded by selecting their biggest , most physical pack in years, especially for this game.

Tomkins + Johnson , Hayne and Hopoate will have plenty of space to work off the back of those packs.

How about throwing in the return of rising super star Will Hopoate after his two year absence serving his Religious Mission. 
Still not interested ? Well have a Look at the two big Wingers the Eels have gone for , one of whom will go head to head with Manu Vatuvei...affectionately known as the beast.

In the halves unfortunately Chris Sandow has been left out....but young Corey Norman makes his Eels debut fresh from the Broncos.
The Warriors boast Shaun Johnson , but it is likely new recruit Chad Townsend who left Cronulla after not being able to get a start, will make the biggest change to how the Warriors play this season. A structured half to compliment Johnson's Rangi Chase instinctive type half skills.

If you are an Eels fan and your team is right in the contest or leading after the opening twenty minutes , then chances are the Eels bench which is stronger than their run on side will carry them home.

World cup team USA 'Shock the World' Captain Joseph Paulo is part of that handy bench for the Eels and will be an important ball playing forward......

The Warriors have a counter in Feleti Mateo...the secound best offloading forward in the game behind SBW.

This game will be a tough match.

Both teams have a lot to prove , the Eels love playing the Warriors and have a great winning record over them.

The Warriors on the other hand come into this game happy and full of confidence , that's a dangerous combination in Warrior folklore. 

The Warriors are missing the human wrecking ball Konrad Hurrell in the centers , the Eels will be relieved about that....as am i that Lee Mossop won't be out there either.

Both teams have shakey outside defenders and plenty of attacking skill, likely there will be lots of Try's.

Glen Fisiahi our skinniest player went over for two last week off Sam Tomkins shifts of the ball outwide.
Put him down for surprise lead try scorer 2014

Konrad hurrell has been dropped hasn't he? Due to being overweight and lack of match fitness? Agree with you about the fish, could be the year of the fish. Do you think he could force his way into the kiwis squad this year mt smart?

#5 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Konrad hurrell has been dropped hasn't he? Due to being overweight and lack of match fitness? Agree with you about the fish, could be the year of the fish. Do you think he could force his way into the kiwis squad this year mt smart?

Yep. Konrad came in 10kg overweight and unfit for preseason training, the word on the street is he lost 9kg ( but these NRL scales are dogey since Hurrell is now 106kg according to them ' his playing weight ' last year his playing weight was around 102).

There is more posted on Konrads weight issues at the Warriors forum than a Womens magazine about the latest diet.

Konrad looks ok on the surface ( saw him a couple of weeks ago ) in person you couldn't tell his is overweight , on the telly he looks tuby, more importantly he ends up blowing hard after a few runs.

Fish making the Kiwis is an interesting one , with Stephen Kearney reappointed who knows. He tends to go for Stalwarts like Nightingale and Manu in his extended squads with RTS all but certain to hold down one wing.

In some ways it would be a shame for Tonga to lose Hurrell and Fis'isahi , but at the end of the day it is their choice.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

Yep. Konrad came in 10kg overweight and unfit for preseason training, the word on the street is he lost 9kg ( but these NRL scales are dogey since Hurrell is now 106kg according to them ' his playing weight ' last year his playing weight was around 102).
There is more posted on Konrads weight issues at the Warriors forum than a Womens magazine about the latest diet.

Konrad looks ok on the surface ( saw him a couple of weeks ago ) in person you couldn't tell his is overweight , on the telly he looks tuby, more importantly he ends up blowing hard after a few runs.

Fish making the Kiwis is an interesting one , with Stephen Kearney reappointed who knows. He tends to go for Stalwarts like Nightingale and Manu in his extended squads with RTS all but certain to hold down one wing.

In some ways it would be a shame for Tonga to lose Hurrell and Fis'isahi , but at the end of the day it is their choice.

Tonga doesn't play enough test matches in a year to be able to keep the likes of hurrell and fis'isahi. I think you're right about RTS and Manu being the starting wingers but if one of them is injured I'd like to see the fish get a run instead of nightingale or even perrett, also Antonio winterstein has been in great form during the trials and Auckland 9's. Anyway back to the warriors this season they need a good start to have any chance of making the playoffs never mind finishing high enough to get a home tie, I just have a feeling that with all the warriors attacking flair that the warriors fans could be in for a season like 2002(I hope).

#7 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:50 AM

Tonga doesn't play enough test matches in a year to be able to keep the likes of hurrell and fis'isahi. I think you're right about RTS and Manu being the starting wingers but if one of them is injured I'd like to see the fish get a run instead of nightingale or even perrett, also Antonio winterstein has been in great form during the trials and Auckland 9's. Anyway back to the warriors this season they need a good start to have any chance of making the playoffs never mind finishing high enough to get a home tie, I just have a feeling that with all the warriors attacking flair that the warriors fans could be in for a season like 2002(I hope).

Pretty much agree with all of that.

I guess if Tomkins forms an understanding with Fis'iahi akin to his link with Charnley at Wigan , that the Try scoring stats would have the Kiwis chasing him , not so much the other way around.

The thing with Glen is he is one of if not the fastest player in the NRL ( top three I'd put a lot of money on that ) and the thing with the Warriors is their ball movement in his playing era has been so poor that it took a Todd Lowrie ( secound row forward for those who don't know ) to pop a ball to Fis'iahi in the Roosters game off the kick off for the Warriors fans to see for themselves ( after all the rumors about Fish's speed ) go length of the field. The Roosters speed men gave up in the first Twenty meters in a straight out fair sprint chase...Maloney was the only one to hang in there and try to push Fish wide of the posts.....Fish went in under those posts.

That doesn't happen in other professional teams , in the ESL and NRL....if you have a guy that will leave chasers for dead over 80mtrs.....set plays are structured in to get that guy the ball in space,

The First time the channel Nine Crew saw the flying fish was in the game V the Tigers....Konrad Hurrell took off in open space with the Fish ten meters behind him.

Glen reeled him in so fast he had to slow down to what looked like a jog , as it turned out Konrad made it to the far away goal line....but the speed of that winger wasn't lost on Phill gould who made them bring up the replay to show how fast this new kid was.

That player has Sam Tomkins setting up overlaps for him,  as I say , that's new for the Warriors who otherwise would over play their hand and take the tackle or Konrad would bowl the lot out of the way and score.

Having Tomkins who is able to ignore the Center and fire a cut out ball straight to the Fish will see his name in Lights this year.

I watched the Wigan Wing men fly in the Hamilton game...they are fast.....the Fish is something else over and above that....he doesn't run out of late speed.

Just one reason why Tomkins will change the Warriors stars...there are other Backs Like Manu Johnson and Hurrell who if Tomkins hits them with his sweet passes will destroy a lot of teams.

There is every reason to believe that the Warriors have found the perfect player to correct their imbalances.

Edited by mt smart, 06 March 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#8 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

You've got it bang on MT.

Tomkins won't score a freak amount of tries in the NRL. The thing he will do is add structure to the side and provide time and space for the outside backs.

If Warriors become a destructive force the year and start steam rolling sides with the outside backs they have it will not surprise me. You have seen how much Tomkins added to the games of Wigans outside backs, if he has the same impact on the games of Manu, Fishaii, Hurrell ect with Johnson also a threat in the middle of the park the Warriors will be very hard to stop.

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Manly v Melbourne - Sat @ 8am
Cronulla v Gold Coast - Mon @ 6.45pm

Both are also on Freeview

#10 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

* Correction from my earlier post

It won't be Vossy and Halligan , they cover the Warriors home games. Not sure who has the call of the Warriors Eels clash.

Melbourne Manly will be epic. There is a true rivalry there. There are clubs who respect each other in sports comps and have a healthy rivalry ( Storm V Warriors ) then there are clubs who hate each other ...sometimes these games are the hating kind.

The new third man in the tackle rule ( third man is somewhat of a misnomer ) will be in the spotlight as both these clubs excel in three man tackling.

I say misnomer with the third man name adopted for the rule because it replies equally to the secound man as well provided the following conditions are met : The tackled player is stopped , there is a clear pause , if the next tackler comes in and tackles below the knees it's a penalty.

It's not so much that Melbourne or Manly go out to make cannon ball tackles , it's more that they will have to think about tackling above the knees secound man in.

We've seen it pulled up already a couple of times in the opening games this year.

Geoff Toovey was a bit cynical about the rule , he thinks it's a can of worms for the Refs and wished them good luck with it.

Knowing how Melbourne stay on the edge of the envelop when it comes to developing tackling techniques , I'm expecting Craig Bellamy's staff to have this one worked out quicker than most teams....the wrestle won't die I don't think....not when you can still get the next guy in above the knees.

Edited by mt smart, 08 March 2014 - 12:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users