Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Story in the Newcastle Journal today revealing Premiership rugby union club Newcastle Falcons are pursuing a takeover of Gateshead Thunder. http://bit.ly/NTzXZs

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

This would be the first ever RU club to own a RL club, right?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

There was the Harlequins link-up for a while, but in terms of outright ownership I am not aware of a precedent.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

There was the Harlequins link-up for a while, but in terms of outright ownership I am not aware of a precedent.

I can't recall whether Harlequins RU owned any part of Harlequins RL or not.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Not as far as I am aware. More a case of an attempt at expanding the Harlequins brand.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Not as far as I am aware. More a case of an attempt at expanding the Harlequins brand.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Moderation note:  I will leave this here as it has genuine importance as a rugby league story.  The first whiny or over-critical post about union sees it moved to the purgatory that is the cross-code forum.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

The falcons owner seems to have plenty of money so it might be a good move for Gateshead,Kingston park is also a cracking stadium with good facilities.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

The falcons owner seems to have plenty of money so it might be a good move for Gateshead,Kingston park is also a cracking stadium with good facilities.

A stable home base would be a good thing for the Thunder.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,932 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I'd welcome this.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

They didn't.  It was up to Harlequins RL to prove their value and at some point Harlequin FC might then have taken an interest.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Andy Wilson mentioned something about this a week or two ago. I'm not sure what to make of this - would appear it might be good news in the short term, I shall remain suspicious beyond that though! Time will tell..

#13 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have an inherent distrust of RU, but even so I still can't see what Newcastle get out of this.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#14 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Direct reference to P&R being a factor in the decision.

#15 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

I used to be a share holder in Thunder Mk2 and would welcome this move. The Newcastle Journal article is typical of the local media - supportive of all sports clubs in the area and quite balanced.

The Thunderdome is a dire venue for football or league and Newcastle's ground is pretty tidy too. Brings back memories of 1999 and Thunder having larger crowds and media profile than the Falcons, as well as the more recent promotion winning team playing in Newcastle on occasion too.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Kingston Park looks, from what I can tell, like a pretty decent place to put down roots. it appears to have its own Metro station, too.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Direct reference to P&R being a factor in the decision.

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Northumbria University own the ground I think, and might even be in with the Falcons too. Regardless there are great RL links with the University that would be strengthened from this takeover. Although the Falcons are not being altruistic with all this, there's nothing sinister either. League and Union co-exist ok in the North East from what I recall.

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

This has to be good news for Gateshead

Very interesting that the return of P&R is one of the factors that make it attractive to The Falcons.

#20 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

It says they will not mount an instant assault on Super League, which is quite different from your statement.

Edited by Ponterover, 05 March 2014 - 02:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users