Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

It says they will not mount an instant assault on Super League, which is quite different from your statement.

"The chances of those days returning are not uppermost in the Falcons’ thinking in terms of acquiring the rugby league outfit"

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

a worry would be if Newcastle ever got into difficulties or a problem with renewing their lease and then it'd be a case of looking through expenditures and "what the heck have we got a Rugby League team for?"Plug pulled,no club. I'd prefer all RL clubs to be in the hands of people whose interest is RL. But as they say beggars can't be choosers. More will come out tomorrow no doubt, think the rugger chap in the local paper is doing a piece and the Thunder EGM is tomorrow night.

#23 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Would this be comparable to the coexistence situation at Leeds?

Financially it makes sense - if their concern is getting the most out of the ground and facilities all year round.  Maybe the intention is to nail this issue first and then develop a route into SL, when economic stability allows?

#24 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Would they have to change their name to Newcastle thunder or Newcastle falcons RFLC?

Edited by walter sobchak, 05 March 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#25 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Would they have to change their name to Newcastle thunder or Newcastle falcons RFLC?

How about the Thunderbirds.................see what I did there :ph34r:

#26 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have an inherent distrust of RU, but even so I still can't see what Newcastle get out of this.

It depends on the actual details I guess. At the very least it would increase financial revenue, get greater use of their facilities and access to Gateshead Thunder's community connections. .

#27 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Tyneside Thunder.

#28 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

It's an interesting reference in that they then say they've got no plans to mount an assault on Super League!  I suspect they think the level would be as a solid Championship club and can see that being helpful in getting year-round use out of the stadium.

The Journal understands the Falcons are harbouring no grand ambitions of mounting an instant assault on Super League, but the resumption of promotion and relegation to the code’s top division this year was a key marker in their decision to consider a takeover.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,560 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

The Journal understands the Falcons are harbouring no grand ambitions of mounting an instant assault on Super League, but the resumption of promotion and relegation to the code’s top division this year was a key marker in their decision to consider a takeover.

That sort of suggests they are taking the long-term view. Not very RL of them... ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

That sort of suggests they are taking the long-term view. Not very RL of them... ;)

It's rare for anybody to take over anything in sport without some level of hyperbole.  This is quite refreshing.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Kingston Park looks, from what I can tell, like a pretty decent place to put down roots. it appears to have its own Metro station, too.

And only 5 minutes from the A1

#32 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Kingston Park is a superb venue, 3 stops on the Metro from the airport, 2-min drive from the A1, plenty of seating, standing, bars and corporate boxes for those inclined.

I'm there most weeks covering the Falcons games for the local rags, and it's a good set-up.

#33 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Kingston Park is a superb venue, 3 stops on the Metro from the airport, 2-min drive from the A1, plenty of seating, standing, bars and corporate boxes for those inclined.

I'm there most weeks covering the Falcons games for the local rags, and it's a good set-up.

as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?

#34 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Not a direct takeover but Leeds carnegie and the Rhino's are owned by the same person are they not? And of course both play at Headingley. P&R mentioned as a positive reason for this interest. His could potentally open the flood gates for more tie-ins. Good news me thinks.

#35 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Don't Doncaster Rovers AFC own the Dons now? Also we were looking at Maesteg potentially taking on our club from the WRL at some point in the future .

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

#36 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

"as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?"

In terms of what?

Ask me a specific question and I'll do my best. Do you mean illuminate on the stadium, or the takeover?

#37 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

As a former player with Gateshead I understand that there has been cooperation between the clubs for a long time now and I am not at all surprised by the latest developments. I think a link up with the Falcons is the boost the sport needs in the north east especially with the lack of rugby league staff in the region now.

I would be interested to see how things work now from an ownership point of view as I thought when the club reformed after the last owner pulled out in October 2009, they put a covenant in the constitution that no one owner could have majority control to avoid a majority backer pulling out and leaving the club high and dry again.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#38 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Seems to be some encouraging things happening at Championship 1 level .Lets hope it leads to formation of a few more teams-and we can get a northern and southern section.

#39 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

"as the man on the spot can you illuminate us any further on what's what?"

In terms of what?

Ask me a specific question and I'll do my best. Do you mean illuminate on the stadium, or the takeover?

what are their plans, are they happy for the RL team to be in Champ 1?Are they going to put money into getting them into SL2? Saying that the P&R aspect is what clinches it has to suggest they see Super League as a destination, there already is P&R between the lower two divisions, but then they simultaneously play that down. Do they see this as a way of making money for the Falcons and if so how? Are they going to be called Gateshead Thunder, Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Thunder etc. If the sale goes through will they move to Kingston Park this season?  Why are they doing it? Covering the bills during the summer doesn't seem that feasible at the moment. Are the RL team going to be fully owned by the Falcons or is it a case of having the same owner, being packaged as the same but in fact being two different entities. If the Falcons do move from Kingston Park & rent somewhere else that can't accommodate another team playing during the summer what do you think might happen - if indeed, there is any likelihood of them moving at all. And, what are the pies like?

#40 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

I am also a former shareholder of Thunder Mk 2 and was involved with the group that kept interest going when Hetherington took the Club to Hull, and am delighted with this news. Kingston Park is a much better venue than the Int Stadium and also has a large carpark next to the ground. If this comes off, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, then the future could be very bright. I would suggest that the Falcons main involvement would be marketing, sponsorship and admin, with the first two giving Thunder a big boost. If this comes off, I will certainly be paying a few visits to Kingston Park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users