Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

This makes sense for both clubs. Nowhere is rugby in more of a shadow than Newcastle.
People called Romans they go the house

#42 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Very interesting news for my club

#43 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Nice ground...should benefit their kicking skills also...

#44 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

I would prefer Newcastle to have an additional team....instant derby....

quins got interested in RL when they were relegated....then they seemed to grow as the RL diminished. ...they promised player swops etc....

at leeds the tykes (I know) are very much the junior club even being told to play matches at hunslet? If the rhinos started going backwards then investment would be pulled back to their core business which is RL...

all in all Gateshead have stabilised at their level and now need to organically grow at their own pace....

there is nothing stopping Newcastle forming another semi pro team to enter champ1.....
More teams at all levels will help grow the game up there....not pushing out established locals probably pushing them into semi pro union!

#45 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

Story in the Newcastle Journal today revealing Premiership rugby union club Newcastle Falcons are pursuing a takeover of Gateshead Thunder. http://bit.ly/NTzXZs

Thanks for confirming you are the Mark Smith of the Journal who posts on the Falcons forum on Sports network.  I hope the "nutty turn out" here regarding all things Union, does not put you off adding some insight on to what is a very encouraging development for Gateshead Thunder.

I can't recall whether Harlequins RU owned any part of Harlequins RL or not.

The original idea was that there would be a three year period after which Harlequins RUFC would decide if they wanted to takeover the running of the Rugby League Club. The decision in 2008 was no, on the same basis that Fulham FC, Charlton Athletic FC and Barnet FC rejected or will reject joint ownership in that fans of the Union / Soccer club would rip into the Directors for diverting money away from the club to prop up a declining RL side. Sir John Hall's "Newcastle Sporting Club" fell apart for similar reasons as I am sure Mark Smith will explain. 

I'd welcome this.

We are agreed, much more of this and I will have to stop posting on this forum ;)

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#46 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

can you imagine a time when most rugby league/union clubs are just ' rugby' clubs? league in summer, union in winter. they could share facilities, players, fans, income. I believe this could be the way forward for rugby(both codes).

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,896 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

can you imagine a time when most rugby league/union clubs are just ' rugby' clubs? league in summer, union in winter. they could share facilities, players, fans, income. I believe this could be the way forward for rugby(both codes).

I don't know if this is the future, but RL/RU tie ups are more like the past.

IIRC Wigan dabbled with Orrell??  Wire and Saints were tipped to tie with Sale at one point, certainly Bradford were chasing Wakefield RU, Broncos became Quins, Leicester had a long period of threatening to start and RL team etc etc.

No brave new worlds there, one way or another it all fell apart or never got going in the first place. Nothing new as this isn't the first time that it's been floated that Gateshead play at the RU ground, this is the second time. First time round Newcastle were doing well, now they have all on not to become a second tier club never mind back Gateshead all the way to SL.

But try to look beyond the hype and what you may find is the serious point that Gateshead's rent money and bar takings just may help "prop" an ailing RU club.

Edited by The Parksider, 06 March 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

in the future this will happen

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#49 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Just out of interest - are Newcastle Falcons still thinking of getting a plastic pitch at Kingston Park?

#50 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Interesting how apparently promotion and relegation made them more interested.

#51 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

IIRC Wigan dabbled with Orrell??  Wire and Saints were tipped to tie with Sale at one point, certainly Bradford were chasing Wakefield RU, Broncos became Quins, Leicester had a long period of threatening to start and RL team etc etc.

No brave new worlds there, one way or another it all fell apart or never got going in the first place. Nothing new as this isn't the first time that it's been floated that Gateshead play at the RU ground, this is the second time. First time round Newcastle were doing well, now they have all on not to become a second tier club never mind back Gateshead all the way to SL.

But try to look beyond the hype and what you may find is the serious point that Gateshead's rent money and bar takings just may help "prop" an ailing RU club.

There's always one who just wants to look at the negatives.  Keep it on the narrow topic please.  No wandering off into the vaguest off-topic recesses on this thread.

This thread is a very, very rare example of a rugby league community, except for the weird people, united on the positive aspects of a club's link-up with a union club.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,957 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

I would prefer Newcastle to have an additional team....instant derby....

quins got interested in RL when they were relegated....then they seemed to grow as the RL diminished. ...they promised player swops etc....

at leeds the tykes (I know) are very much the junior club even being told to play matches at hunslet? If the rhinos started going backwards then investment would be pulled back to their core business which is RL...

all in all Gateshead have stabilised at their level and now need to organically grow at their own pace....

there is nothing stopping Newcastle forming another semi pro team to enter champ1.....
More teams at all levels will help grow the game up there....not pushing out established locals probably pushing them into semi pro union!

Newcastle and Gateshead are too close (arguably the same city really) to have two sides. If they had been rugby league cities from the beginning then a Hull KR and Hull FC situation would be sustainable but that's not the case. No point in having two sides that will never get anywhere rather than one that might.

#53 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Well there are three codes of cricket under one umbrella....Test match, one day and twenty-twenty. With clubs playing all three disciplines. Wonder if clubs from both codes will move in that direction moving forward.

#54 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

I think the general feeling is this is a good move, but I don't think all of the Gateshead hardcore necessarily feel the same. Some decent points made by a Gateshead fan on another forum:

1.What happened to the 'vision' of a community club we were sold when the club last phoenixed?

2.Why did the club management feel the need to keep this a secret until the EGM? - So the fans could be railroaded on the night perhaps?

3.Who will Christie be representing at this EGM - Keith Christie Club Director, Keith Christie Shareholder or Keith Christie Employee of the Falcons - too many hats to be objective me thinks?

4.Taking the club out of Gateshead permanently - how long until the Gateshead name goes - it certainly wont be my home town club any more!

5.All these questions and more probably wont be answered as the Malleable Thunder Storm but will just tip their hats and 'yes sir mr keith whatever you thinks is best' will no doubt be the outcome.

The EGM thing struck me yesterday. Announcing one at short notice and presumably only planning on breaking the news on the night and then asking them to vote immediately. That's not good.

#55 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

It is underhanded by management, especially if they played the community card in the past.

#56 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

what are their plans, are they happy for the RL team to be in Champ 1?Are they going to put money into getting them into SL2? Saying that the P&R aspect is what clinches it has to suggest they see Super League as a destination, there already is P&R between the lower two divisions, but then they simultaneously play that down. Do they see this as a way of making money for the Falcons and if so how? Are they going to be called Gateshead Thunder, Newcastle Falcons, Newcastle Thunder etc. If the sale goes through will they move to Kingston Park this season?  Why are they doing it? Covering the bills during the summer doesn't seem that feasible at the moment. Are the RL team going to be fully owned by the Falcons or is it a case of having the same owner, being packaged as the same but in fact being two different entities. If the Falcons do move from Kingston Park & rent somewhere else that can't accommodate another team playing during the summer what do you think might happen - if indeed, there is any likelihood of them moving at all. And, what are the pies like?

I guess those are the kinds of questions that will be asked at the meeting tonight. I could speculate, but without knowing all the facts it would be pointless to do so.

#57 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

I have an inherent distrust of RU, but even so I still can't see what Newcastle get out of this.

Totally agree

#58 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Totally agree

It's not difficult - especially if they are going to get a plastic pitch. Currently in the summer, the ground is empty (iirc they have a bit of a fair for the kiddies at some point). Going forward, they will have someone paying to use it and a few extra quid at the bar. The gateshead storm used to play some games just up the road...

#59 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

I can't understand why the report in The Journal by Mr Smith has not had any quotes attributed to anyone.

Is there any suggestion that a change of personnel at The Falcons has changed the attitude towards Thunder?

Is the return of Mick Hogan in any way connected?

The Mick Hogan interview with Mr Smith may be revealing - http://www.thejourna...-crowds-6528072

Perhaps Mr Smith can conduct some interviews with Thunder personnel after the EGM tonight?

Looks like a hatchet job more professional than that completed by the RFL in 1999 is on the way.

Will Hull KR ride to the rescue...?

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#60 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Wigan bought Orrell, St Helens bought Liverpool-St Helens, Bradford bought Wakefield and Leeds bought Leeds at a time when RL was at a low and RU looked the way forward. Only Leeds sort of worked, Wakefield and Orrell are no more and Liverpool St Helens are something like tier 6. RL has grown a lot from its depths ten years ago but that looked the only way into RU for those clubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users