Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle Falcons RU trying to buy Gateshead Thunder

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Just to clarify, is the proposal that the same person owns both clubs, or that the Thunder are owned by the union mob?

#102 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Its that the falcons owner owns both clubs.

#103 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Its that the falcons owner owns both clubs.

Thanks, isn't the initial title potentially misleading, then? If it's a ground share with a common owner that could be much better, as it's then in the owner's best interests for RL to do ok?

#104 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Do Gateshead play thunderstruck on matchday?

#105 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

The falcons owner seems to have plenty of money so it might be a good move for Gateshead,Kingston park is also a cracking stadium with good facilities.

It would be a mile better than the international stadium

#106 WhatdoIknow

WhatdoIknow
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Is it if they move to Newcastle, or if they're named Newcastle?

I recall when the name "Tyne Fire" was going round. Would a regional name be any better?

They go hand in hand really... They wouldn't change their name without moving. The location is the problem for me.

#107 callig

callig
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really know the area that well. What regional names would you say would be appealing?

Would North East be too broad?

Any regional name would be fine tbh.  I'm a Fax fan who's lived in the NE now for 12 years.  I've no affinity to the Gateshead brand so would not miss it.

I'm in favour of a re-brand similar to what the Falcons have tried to do because the club services a wider area.  

Also, the potential growth of the game in the NE is via the junior game.  A couple of factors have combined in the last year or so which have placed more responsibility on community clubs to grow the game and schools have seemingly become more receptive to invest in the sport.  Getting kids though the door should be easy.  However, the two codes are going to be linked up here for at least a generation because in the majority of cases the kids that like rugby have dads that like rugby union.  Been closely linked to the Falcons as a new brand I think would be more palatable for a lot of these dads and help get bums on seats.

There are potential negatives because obviously the Falcons could benefit from piggy backing on the success of League but really in the grand scheme of things rugby has to work together up here to make a dent in the football monopoly.

#108 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

All I can say is the investment sounds really encouraging.  Naturally, and as mentioned before, from an income point of view, securing the Thunder, even if they stay in the lower grades of the competition for a few years brings in an income stream, which helps off-set some costs which are incurred in the off-season and can't be avoided.

It also means a venue like Kingston Park is in a better position to be in consideration for other RL matches, such as second tier internationals (ie. England v France/Wales), and Challenge Cup games, so there is value in this move.

From a League point of view, Gateshead can do with investment, we've seen some of the potential in the area back when the Thunder existed in Super League, and there is no reason why that can't be repeated if again someone is prepared to help the club do that.  Anything that is going to help recruit talent, better promote and also assist with investment in the local area should be welcome.

Posted Image

#109 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Brilliant idea, mass of money invested in RU in that area and still only a foot hold really, RL has outperformed when the lack of any capital investment is factored in, in that its still there and viable. I think both codes will benefit and good luck to them.

#110 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Do Gateshead play thunderstruck on matchday?

Yeah it's the song we run out to!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#111 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yeah it's the song we run out to!

great! Love that song!

Good win today as well! My outside bet for promotion!

#112 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

They can keep their name, I'm sure. London Irish are based in Reading these days and nobody makes a big thing about them keeping their old name.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#113 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Bit of chat from informed sources at yesterday's game that they will keep the 'Thunder' suffix regardless of what goes in front of it, whether it be Newcastle, North East or just plain Thunder RL. Nobody seems too vexed about that aspect of it, from those I spoke to.

The interesting line was that the Falcons would have to extend their Kingston Park tenancy beyond its current end date (June 2017) for Thunder to be allowed to play there.

How true this is I don't know, but I was told by sources there is an RFL regulation meaning there needs to be a tenancy of more than 3 years for a venue change to be approved, and that as things stand they would have to remain at Gateshead Stadium until the Falcons could agree an extension.

Someone may well tell me that is nonsense, but that was what some informed sources were telling me yesterday.

#114 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Bit of chat from informed sources at yesterday's game that they will keep the 'Thunder' suffix regardless of what goes in front of it, whether it be Newcastle, North East or just plain Thunder RL. Nobody seems too vexed about that aspect of it, from those I spoke to.

The interesting line was that the Falcons would have to extend their Kingston Park tenancy beyond its current end date (June 2017) for Thunder to be allowed to play there.

How true this is I don't know, but I was told by sources there is an RFL regulation meaning there needs to be a tenancy of more than 3 years for a venue change to be approved, and that as things stand they would have to remain at Gateshead Stadium until the Falcons could agree an extension.

Someone may well tell me that is nonsense, but that was what some informed sources were telling me yesterday.

If this rule exists then it's certainly not been enforced for quite some time. Clubs move around at the drop of a hat.

#115 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Fair enough, cheers for the info. Came from a decent source, but I won't claim any expertise on the subject.

#116 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

If this rule exists then it's certainly not been enforced for quite some time. Clubs move around at the drop of a hat.

Think it's the length of lease on the ground rather than the length of agreement to play there. In theory at least it seems that beyond 2017 they could be growing cabbages on the ground and they need to have a discussion with the landlord bank to stay to play Rugby!

#117 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

They can keep their name, I'm sure. London Irish are based in Reading these days and nobody makes a big thing about them keeping their old name.

London Irish are known as the Not nots

Not London and not Irish

#118 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Interview with Thunder coach Stanley Gene in this week's Journal http://www.thejourna...er-boss-6796075

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users