Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/03/14 - Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Salford Red Devils (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Discuss Thursday night's televised Super League game here:

06/03/14 - Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Widnes to win this one in a closely fought encounter.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Ipitch advantage to Widnes for me.

#4 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Would like to say Salford will edge it but with Chase and Hock out, think that might just be wishful thinking.

Red Devils to at least show a bit more spirit than last week's effort and post some points. 

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

widnes are on fire at the moment and i think we will win this by 18

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,773 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Salford to bounce back a bit and make this a tough win for Widnes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Widnes must start favourites for this, we've had two impressive wins so far even with key players missing. The most pleasing thing for me has been the way we've coped with the losses of Clarke and Brown (both really influential figures within the team) and Phelps, Ah Van and Cahill (who all had strong seasons last year, particularly Cahill who is a tireless worker on the field and a real leader) without a significant drop in performances.
Although there has been a lot of hype around the Salford team, when assessing our rivals squads I always like to compare them with ours and who they would replace, and perhaps surprisingly, there aren't many I would swap. Rangi would've been a given 2 yrs ago before the emergence of Mellor who is an outstanding team player (don't get me wrong, Rangi is an outstanding individual who produces pieces of magic but possibly would risk upsetting the balance we seem to have) Tim Smith is too hot and cold to build a team around and having watched Hock last year I'd swap tickle for him every day of the week, he can be a complete liability in attack with ridiculous offloads which just aren't on and in defence with indiscipline, also his reputation does him no favours with referees on top of that. Tickle on the other hand is consistent and has started superbly for us, before you take his goal kicking into account. I've never been a huge fan of Puletua as his work rate seems lacking for me although admittedly, that's just going off Sky matches and when we have played St's. Likewise, Meli and Gleeson would be no better (and IMO a fair bit worse over the course of a season) than Phelps and Marsh. However, Morley looks fit and motivated and would walk into our squad and I've always rated Hansen who was an unsung hero at Wigan, I'd have been made up if we'd signed him. They look to have a couple of decent prospects like Fages and the young winger who played against St's.
They also have a coach who is one of the best in the game.
Having said all that, I think it will be a close game and that inconsistent nature of some of the Red Devils players means that in some games at least, those players will all be on form and firing, I just hope it's not on Thursday!

#8 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Chemics by 10

#9 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I think these are two pretty evenly matched teams and this should be a good game. Given their recent form I'll go for Widnes by 10-18 points.

#10 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

widnes 38 Salford 4 I think Salford are missing to many players and widnes will have the strongest team out all season and after a few good wins for us the morale in the camp will be good and I cant seeing them throwing away all the good work they have done all season.

#11 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

A combination of home advantage and Salford's injury list should see Widnes win, possibly quite comfortably.

#12 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

widnes 38 Salford 4 I think Salford are missing to many players and widnes will have the strongest team out all season and after a few good wins for us the morale in the camp will be good and I cant seeing them throwing away all the good work they have done all season.

38-4?!

These 3 wins really seem to have gone to the heads of some Widnes fans!

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

A combination of home advantage and Salford's injury list should see Widnes win, possibly quite comfortably.

not to mention the widnes injury list mate 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

38-4?!

These 3 wins really seem to have gone to the heads of some Widnes fans!

1. its two wins

2. Salford are missing key players

3. widnes have key players back

4. im entitled to my opinion 

#15 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

1. its two wins

2. Salford are missing key players

3. widnes have key players back

4. im entitled to my opinion 

You're right, only two wins and you're predicting a 34 point victory against Salford...

#16 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

You're right, only two wins and you're predicting a 34 point victory against Salford...

why not?? we put 50+ on London which no one thought and we will see on Thursday after the game.. its my opinion at the end off the day and just because u don't think widnes will win by that many that's not my fault.

#17 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

why not?? we put 50+ on London which no one thought and we will see on Thursday after the game.. its my opinion at the end off the day and just because u don't think widnes will win by that many that's not my fault.

London are the worst team in the division, and that was the first game for their cobbled together squad. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but you've gone 30 points higher than the head-start the bookies have given!

#18 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

London are the worst team in the division, and that was the first game for their cobbled together squad. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but you've gone 30 points higher than the head-start the bookies have given!

the bookies are wrong sometimes on Friday widnes where +12 I did them off scratch and got 3/1 and it was the bookies paying me out just because the bookies have said its going to be close doesn't mean it will.

#19 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Salford are missing Hock and Chase, so if they have trained well this week and can remember that even 'stars' on big contracts have to run onto a ball and shuffle about a bit they will win this. As explained on Sky the other day, against Sts they played all the right notes in the wrong order.

If they click Widnes will get thumped, and if I was Nobby I would look to get Sneyd back sometime soon.

#20 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Chemics by 10

remind me what widnes mascot is again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users