Photo
- - - - -

06/03/14 - Widnes Vikings v Salford Red Devils KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Salford Red Devils (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

howarth already played for them.....they didnt sign him....

They never signed him? Just walked in one day and starting playing? :tongue:  Poor match regardless.

#102 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

I thought Salford looked incredibly unfit. Only Fages and Johnson seemed to have anything about them.

I thought that too.  I don't know what Nobby is doing with them or who their conditioner is but they need to change the plan!

#103 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

I must be the only one here who thought the game was fairly awful, riddled with poor decision making and unforced errors and I fell asleep shortly after half-time. I recorded the rest but wasn't intending watching it after the first half. Did it get much better or something? Everyone seems to be saying it was enjoyable.

#104 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

nah, some of us just enjoy watching Rugby League.

#105 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

That was a shocking salford performance. If you dont listen to the drivel from the 2 clown commentators and watch the actual game its clear Salford are miles away from being a good team.

I didn't see the match last night as I was working, but I think that Salford are some years away from being a genuinely decent side.

Nobby is a top man IMO, and they'll end the season in solid but not spectacular form and build from there.

I hope Koukash is realistic about how long it takes to build a top RL team.

That's me.  I'm done.

#106 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

nah, some of us just enjoy watching Rugby League.

Exactly.

The games don't have to be perfect.

#107 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I didn't think there was much to choose between the two sides on show. The dubious play-on decision with about 10 minutes to go swung the game in Widnes favour.
By the end of the season these two sides won't be far away from each other in the table.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#108 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Game was enjoyable even if the result wasn't for me. Widnes always had the edge in attack with the Salford side not really all being on the same wavelength yet in defence. Hopefully that will come in time. Two injuries during the game weakened the interchange for Salford's bench which can't have helped matters either.

Not really sure what people were looking for if they didn't enjoy this. A tight game up until the last 10 with very few penalties and plenty of lead changes. It was hardly Grand Final intensity but then it's an early season match between two teams likely to be on the edge of the playoffs so that's not surprising.

Watched the Rabbitohs-Roosters following this and.though clearly of a higher standard and intensity than this one I don't think there was too much in it in terms of enjoyment.

#109 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

On the basis of this game I don't think either of these teams have the quality to be troubling the top 6 sides. I actually think Cas look a level above both of them.

#110 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I enjoyed it last night and that surface certainly makes for a fast game.

Still think Salford are just playing as individuals but three standouts in Fages, Johnson and Walton.

Good TEAM performance from Widnes

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#111 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

i think tim smith is a liability when salford have the ball he wants to be at the centre of everythingbut goes out on the wing when they are defending. he never seems to be involved in the dirty work of tackling unlike the young kid opposite him last night, mellor is superb in attack and as good in defence. 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#112 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I enjoyed the game and a couple of things stood out to me:

Tim Smith should be the one to get dropped when Chase comes back, Smith was absolutely awful last night.

Fages is a good player and will get better.

Greg Johnson is great to watch, if rumours are true that Kieran Dixon will be at Salford next year the that will be doubly exciting.

Widnes lack a bit of size and go-forward but that should improve when they have Adam Lawton, Ben Kavanagh and a few others available.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#113 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

I thought it was a an entertaining game, myself. As far as the apparent snow effect with the pitch is concerned, it's to do with the way the light reflects off the artificial surface at certain angles.

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 07 March 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#114 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

I thought it was a an entertaining game, myself. As far as the apparent snow effect with the pitch is concerned, it's to do with the way the light reflects off the artificial surface at certain angles.

I wonder if that's why the floodlights appeared to be a bit dim, to try to reduce the glare. Standing at the Salford end, it was difficult to see what was happening down the other end.

I agree it was an enjoyable game, and closer than the scoreline suggested. A couple of bounces of the ball and one or two refereeing decisions and the result could have been different.

#115 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

I watched the NRL opener in the morning and this one at night and I enjoyed this one far more... in fact I don't think I have ever seen a poor game on the 'iPitch' !!!

#116 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

I thought that too.  I don't know what Nobby is doing with them or who their conditioner is but they need to change the plan!

A new conditioner was brought in before the start of this campaign and the new head of strength and conditioning is Richard Hunwicks.He was at Leeds when they won Grand Finals,fairly recently.

Their warm weather training,in South Africa,in January,was a success,apparently.

I think half time team talks may have to change as Brian Noble has only won one second half since he joined Salford - that was at London last month.

Even at The Etihad,for the Magic Weekend,they lost the second half despite defeating Widnes.

I do not think it is anything to do with fitness issues.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#117 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

It was an intriguing game I thought and one that we were lucky to win.

At 6-0 we seemed relatively comfortable and at the time I thought if we managed another try we would go on and win. However, we were almost blown away in the final 10 minutes of the half and half-time certainly came at the right time.

I actually thought that Salford were going to win up until about the last 15. Whilst we showed resilience it was actually quite a disjointed performance and we went up the middle far too often. We actually looked very dangerous when we put the ball through the hands but for some reason it hasn't quite clicked yet resulting in a few dropped balls.

I disagree that the turning point was Phil Joseph's try, we were already 8 points ahead and the tide had clearly turned. We finished surprisingly strong and Salford looked shot. Whilst there were a couple of strange decisions I don't think Salford fans can be too unhappy with a referee that didn't penalise them at all in the 2nd half. Had this been a usual SL game with a different referee Widnes would have been marched up the field on a regular basis and would I think have scored more points as a result as we looked dangerous on their line.

#118 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Well i enjoyed it, Widnes played some attractive stuff to watch, Joe Mellor gets better and better, All will depend if they can stay fit" i don't know how big their squad is " .  Salford will improve when they get more used to each other, The Dr didn't look happy but he needs to be realistic. Don't rate T smith myself.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#119 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

That was a good game to watch. Two evenly matched teams both going for it. To be fair I don't think Salford deserved to be on the end of that scoreline but credit to the Chemics.

Salfords performance was an exponential improvement on the Saints game with a lot more players stepping up to the mark HH, Johnson, Walton and Fages in particular - but they aren't a team yet!

On the other hand, the Chemics were a very unified outfit and if injury issues are kind to them they will definitely be top 8.

Oh, Mr P Clarke. What is the deal with him and constantly singing the praises of Salford at EVERY opportunity?

#120 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I certainly enjoyed it. If the majority of games are as good as that (so far so good Cats v Leeds excepted) then we'll be well entertained this year.

I'm not sure what to make of Salford yet, as they'll be rather different when random Rangi comes back. Also, as has been noted, in-game injuries may well have robbed them of a victory.

I also thought they were a bit unlucky when Fage's 2nd half break ended up with a 20m restart when it looked to me like he'd been tackled round the head. That was a momentum changer too. Not to take anything away from Widnes though, who played well, especially 'Mellor for England'.

It's great to see Widnes and Cas up at the top of the table. I hope we're in for an interesting year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users