Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Eating a sandwich in the army = a barbaric practice

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Eating with hands, like the natives, is the primary reason we lost the Empire, don't you know! If you can't eat a banana with a knife and fork, frankly, you don't deserve an empire!

LUNEW.jpg

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

I find it hard to take seriously. I used to work (as a civilian) at the naval academy in Dartmouth. They used to serve burgers in the officers' mess. Nobody made a fuss about it.

#23 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,720 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I find it hard to take seriously. I used to work (as a civilian) at the naval academy in Dartmouth. They used to serve burgers in the officers' mess. Nobody made a fuss about it.

A whole world of difference between the quite egalitarian navy and the army.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#24 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I blame the influence of RL!!!  :ph34r:

28m391z.jpg

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

A whole world of difference between the quite egalitarian navy and the army.

Rum, sodomy, the lash and finger food? Quite beyond the pale!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 craig hamilton

craig hamilton
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

I think the point is more along the lines of getting the small things right and the big ones look after themselves to an extent. I saw a documentary on the French Foreign Legion once and one of the senior NCOs said that the point of flogging them for not fastening their button on their uniform was that attention to detail angle. He said if a cadet forgets to fasten his button, he could easily not put the safety catch on his weapon.

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice,. This is unless my good friend Major Geordie Saint can advise to the contrary. :-)

Edited by craig hamilton, 06 March 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#27 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice,. This is unless my good friend Major Geordie Saint can advise to the contrary. :-)

The mess tends to be different.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#28 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Eating with hands, like the natives, is the primary reason we lost the Empire, don't you know! If you can't eat a banana with a knife and fork, frankly, you don't deserve an empire!

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school and eats all her fruit with a knife and fork.

It really does come to something when a frenchy has to show our chaps the way.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#29 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school and eats all her fruit with a knife and fork.

Seeing as the French never wash I am not surprised that they don't want to use their hands to eat....... :ph34r:

28m391z.jpg

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,066 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

...but she's baffled by a toilet that isn't just a hole in the floor?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

My wife's cousin went to a french finishing school

Can we meet her some time?  see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187022/  Not a badly made flick and quite an eye popping viewing, definitely put this one on your list.

#32 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

I've never been in the forces but I imagine that standing up when a superior walks in the room should be normal practice.

That tends to be tradition in the 'posher' Battalion/Regimental Messes... i.e. Cavalry, RIFLES, SCOTS (Cowan is former Black Watch) and RHA units. It is much less common in most Army units.

Response from some 'subordinate' from the Bulford Mess on ARRSE:

http://www.arrse.co....a-reply.211041/

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users