Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town announce partnership with Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 casablanca

casablanca
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

http://www.townrlfc....le.php?id=12855

#2 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Great news we have a partnership with such a club, though I`,m still not overly enamored with DR unless its done in the best interests of us as a club. Meaning we don't get players pushed on us at the last minute to fit into the side. But as with anything like this we need to wait and see how it pans out and keep an open mind. Gonna be a very interesting season with the new coach and now this. Onward and upwards.

#3 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Great news, and hopefully this partnership will work better than our previous ones.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#4 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Well done Town, a partnership with such a high calibre club is fantastic!
Just a hint, there is an exciting young first team squad prop Ben Austin presently playing for their U19 side, he would really benefit from some Championship experience!

Edited by Supporter, 06 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Anthony gelling dosent get much game time and were desperate for a centre like him.

Edited by wonky, 06 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Further excellent news, not just for the possible players but the way the whole modern philsophy and top professionalism of Wigan and the potential relationship with Vievers is bound to affect us. For me now the prospects for the season look very exciting.

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Well done to our board of directors who have put a lot of time and effort in to getting this partnership up and running. I sat and listened to Shaun Wane and Kris Radlinski at the recent Vice Presidents evening and I came away totally impressed with their dedication and professionalism and how they were getting every one connected with Wigan to buy in to their ideas. If only a small percentage of what they are trying to achieve rubs off at Town then we can only get better. Their maxim is -"Making good Better".

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Very good news all round . You mentioned Gelling wonky . Yes that would be good , but last year there was something about some foreign players being exempt from DR ? Hope we get some nice gems to boost us , and Wigan stop shipping them out to other SL clubs and get them here ..!! Will this work from now for Sunday , as we have a couple of loan/DR spots left ?

Edited by DavidM, 06 March 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#9 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hopkins from Leigh isn't getting in the squad there, he'd be a good signing and sort out your prop situation

#10 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Wow things are getting better and better, what a week so far, well done everyone conected with this, and welcome Wigan to Workington, I hope it benefits both clubs.

Like Keith T I was at the VP night and the vision and professionalism that Wigan show is fantastic,  if we can learn from them the future is certainly looking better.

Well done again.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

The new coach and this link dovetail really well . Veivers knows Wigan and the guys down there will work comfortably with him

#12 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hopkins from Leigh isn't getting in the squad there, he'd be a good signing and sort out your prop situation

Some confusion here, possibly on loan from Wigan to London Broncos.

Edited by Supporter, 06 March 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#13 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well done town. Great news

#14 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Partnership my ring.Feeder club.

#15 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Some confusion here, possibly on loan from Wigan to London Broncos.

Is he? Must have missed that one

#16 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

As much as I dislike the concept of DR, if you are going to do it then they don't come any bigger than Wigam. I'ts a cut throat division we are in and we are only doing what the majority of clubs at our level are doing. Well done to Malcolm Allison and the rest of the BOD for working so hard to bring this about. I was a bit despondent when Charlo Jacked but a quality  new coach and DR with the SL champions in the same week has perked me up no end, 

Three points at Barrow would just top the week off nicely  ;)

#17 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Training tonight went very well,different to the normal but a new player up tonight.A wigan prop forward sam hopkins and he looks the part no doubt about it.Everyone looked keen has mustard trying to impress the boss,had a crack with him,just a very short one and is keen to give our lads a chance to shine before he makes choices,we could have had josh charnley but our lads deserve the chance after sundays game.welcome phil to town.
Posted Image

#18 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Like this trouty sam hopkins was the best prop in the champ last season when he was at leigh

#19 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Training tonight went very well,different to the normal but a new player up tonight.A wigan prop forward sam hopkins and he looks the part no doubt about it.Everyone looked keen has mustard trying to impress the boss,had a crack with him,just a very short one and is keen to give our lads a chance to shine before he makes choices,we could have had josh charnley but our lads deserve the chance after sundays game.welcome phil to town.

Cheers for the info Trouty. don't think Josh would get in before Brett and Ell tho ;)

#20 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Training tonight went very well,different to the normal but a new player up tonight.A wigan prop forward sam hopkins and he looks the part no doubt about it.

Never expected to get someone of the ability of Sam Hopkins up at training tonight! I suggested earlier that we might get young Ben Austin, but Sam (if he plays) will add experience as well as ability to the pack. Really thought he had gone out on loan to the Broncos. Roll on Sunday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users