TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Town announce partnership with Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 897 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Cheers for the info Trouty. don't think Josh would get in before Brett and Ell tho ;)

Haha, guess you are right HTR.
Posted Image

#22 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

Just looking at a couple of forums ( fora ? ) Supporter and there does seem confusion about Hopkins and London . Some saying he was in a squad list , others saying there was no announcement of any move , Wigan fans asking where he is ... I remember him against us . Yes please !!!

#23 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Well if he was at training tonight chances are he's a townie for at least this week. Maybe fancied winning a game or 2
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#24 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

Wigan will need an outlet for fringe players to keep fit via game time, they will tell you who you are getting and you will play them. You will be looking at the Hopkins, powell Burke Manfredi hampshires who they don't want tied to loans but want game ready

#25 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Wigan will need an outlet for fringe players to keep fit via game time, they will tell you who you are getting and you will play them. You will be looking at the Hopkins, powell Burke Manfredi hampshires who they don't want tied to loans but want game ready

and that's a bad thing?

#26 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

and that's a bad thing?

In my opinion yes it is.
That means we'll become this years Swinton Lions which ain't what I want and I'm guessing many others would feel the same.

#27 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

In my opinion yes it is.
That means we'll become this years Swinton Lions which ain't what I want and I'm guessing many others would feel the same.

if we're getting the likes of Hampshire and Hopkins up on a regular occurrence then that will give us a fighting chance in survival. Hopkins according to many was the best prop in the league last year, something we are massively lacking. And young Hampshire is an outstanding full back and would add a lot to our side. Just because Wigan make the others available dosent mean we have to use them. But the 2 lads I've mentioned I would be taking at every opportunity.But this year is all about survival and if that means we drop our morals slightly to achieve that, then I'm sorry, I'm all for that.
But I didn't mean that Wigan demanding we play certain players wasn't a bad thing, I meant them making that many of that quality available wasn't a bad thing.

Edited by wonky, 07 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#28 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

In my opinion yes it is.

Any other year I would agree with your fears, but this season is all about survival and the need to do whatever it takes to stay in this league. If it takes getting class players like Hopkins then so be it. Its not like he will be taking any other props place in the squad, we dont have many props.

#29 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

I agree with wonky and dkw. Although I wouldn't want to see our team taken over I would to see them quality additions.

#30 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I agree in so far as you will be another Swinton this season, you already have 3 loans so could have 6/7 players contracted to Wigan in the 17
That may help you survive but the league now has Swinton Doncaster and yourselves dictated to by a SL club, DR is wrong however it is used. It was hated at Leigh and was one of the first things the new owners got rid of, even though it was rarely used meaning come play offs none who had played DR had qualified to play
Your owners will know reality and I am sure they have made what they feel is the best call for your club, the Workington Warriors

#31 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

It's all about survival this year, and after struggling to attract the right calibre of players I for one welcome this partnership. Wigan bring a wealth of experience as well as the quality youth/ fringe players, so for me it's about the club as a whole benefitting and not just the match day squad.

#32 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Yes craig but leigh are well placed to attract players we are not up here. I am confident our club won't let us turn into another swinton. Who do you support craig???

#33 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yes craig but leigh are well placed to attract players we are not up here. I am confident our club won't let us turn into another swinton. Who do you support craig???

I support Leigh, and saw first hand the division it caused within the fan base. Even though it wasn't abused and we were operating with a thin squad hence needed players from time to time it just never felt right and some fans voted with their feet
Get ready for the abuse because it is hard to defend when pride and history are why many fans have stayed loyal to a club in the lower leagues
I accept we are in a different place now and also the silly decision by SL to get rid of the A teams means quality clubs like Wigan need an outlet for fringe players but can you imagine if say barrow beat you in the last game to make the 9 with 7 Wigan players in the line up?

#34 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Its totally different for you Craig being where you are. The semi pro RL scene is fragile at the moment up here and we must do what we can to survive in this league. If we could field 17 cumbrians on sundays we would. Your in another world down there. Again I am sure we wont go over the top but no doubt some including the numtys up the road will label us workington warriors.

Edited by town4me, 07 March 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#35 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

A Leigh fan telling us how to run our club is quite ironic, considering they were basically Wigan A for a while and are now in an artificially aided position.

#36 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Get all the players we can who are better than what we have and who can help win us games . Then we can have a nice discussion about morals and heritage in September when we're looking ahead to great SL 2 comp next year with a few hundred grand funding to build our own squad again in a league that will attract good talent.

#37 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Get all the players we can who are better than what we have and who can help win us games . Then we can have a nice discussion about morals and heritage in September when we're looking ahead to great SL 2 comp next year with a few hundred grand funding to build our own squad again in a league that will attract good talent.

Couldn't agree more.

#38 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

A Leigh fan telling us how to run our club is quite ironic, considering they were basically Wigan A for a while and are now in an artificially aided position.

I am not telling anyone how to run anything, but the stupidity of your post is clear from start to finish

I do not disagree with a single word as that is a strategy to come in the 9, and as you say morals and reality sometimes do not mix. I would applaud your BOD if they came out with this statement as well.

#39 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

I am not telling anyone how to run anything, but the stupidity of your post is clear from start to finish

I do not disagree with a single word as that is a strategy to come in the 9, and as you say morals and reality sometimes do not mix. I would applaud your BOD if they came out with this statement as well.

Oh look, another expert who knows exactly what's been agreed and what's not. Give it a rest, there's already a couple here from the tax dodgers that like to do that and they're laughed at on a regular basis. Why not just stick to your ivory tower now that Leigh's troubles are behind them again for a while and shake your head if, and only if, it all goes wrong here?

#40 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Oh look, another expert who knows exactly what's been agreed and what's not. Give it a rest, there's already a couple here from the tax dodgers that like to do that and they're laughed at on a regular basis. Why not just stick to your ivory tower now that Leigh's troubles are behind them again for a while and shake your head if, and only if, it all goes wrong here?

Monkey brains are a delicacy in some countries, I trust you got a fair price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users