Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town announce partnership with Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yes craig but leigh are well placed to attract players we are not up here.

Both geographically and financially. Looking at Swinton & Leighs squads I suggest we still have a greater base of local players than either of them. DR pro's and cons but for me I think it will complement our set up quite nicely.

#42 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I would say 80% of our squad were born and bred within 15miles of derwent park, so anyone accusing us of selling out is a joke. How many local amateurs have Leigh signed in the last 2 years? Bet it's not half as many as town
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#43 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would say 80% of our squad were born and bred within 15miles of derwent park, so anyone accusing us of selling out is a joke. How many local amateurs have Leigh signed in the last 2 years? Bet it's not half as many as town

80% I'd check your figures again mate,Morris,mcgoff,Miller,Carter,stack,Lupton,forber,hanney,durden.Unless you have a 45 man squad ,barrow/millom lads travell as far as some of the Leigh players will.Leigh have a massive catchment area for players with in 30 min drive.Easy how they forget though ,had it not been for Gateshead going down instead of them they would not be where they are today

#44 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm not sure why supporters of other teams are so interested in this . We're happy , Wigan are happy. That's it , it's our business . Many clubs have DR links , they need them in a harsh league . Clubs who look down and tut tut because they don't should leave it alone and accept it . Leigh have not always been so fortunate ... And last year their best go forward down here came from Spencer ... From Wigan.

Edited by DavidM, 07 March 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#45 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

80% I'd check your figures again mate,Morris,mcgoff,Miller,Carter,stack,Lupton,forber,hanney,durden.Unless you have a 45 man squad ,barrow/millom lads travell as far as some of the Leigh players will.Leigh have a massive catchment area for players with in 30 min drive.Easy how they forget though ,had it not been for Gateshead going down instead of them they would not be where they are today

Nice of you to take time out from your in fighting to put us all right. 15 miles was a bit of an exaggeration it should have been more like 50 but I reckon we do have more locals than most, including yourselves and I would count any cumbrian as being local.

#46 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

How many of the Barrow team on Sunday will be Barrow players and not on loan ? 

#47 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

I am not telling anyone how to run anything, but the stupidity of your post is clear from start to finished

I do not disagree with a single word as that is a strategy to come in the 9, and as you say morals and reality sometimes do not mix. I would applaud your BOD if they came out with this statement as well.

make your mind up.

#48 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

I fail to see how we could have 6 or 7 players from Wigan in our matchday 17 when the rules only allow you to have a total of 5 DR and/or loan players?

Yes, some of our players do have to travel from Millom and Barrow but they are Cumbrians living in Cumbria, that is the main point to be made in that argument.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#49 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Only 5 Cumbrians in Havens 17 last week so that a bit 2-faced from h4e

Leigh also had plenty of loan players last seasons so they have no room to criticise others
We haven't 'signed' anyone as a Workington registered player and that player still trains with his old club a la Swinton - so no need forr anyone to come on here with a Swinton comparison, thanks

Our squad does need bolstering, we can't deny that.

#50 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Superb comeback, for which you be remembered in history. Your life hasn't been wasted.....

#51 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Correct Shaun . A normal healthy DR working relationship and the Swinton situation are totally different . 5 players improving our squad is not us becoming Workington Warriors . It's us doing our best to compete in a brutal league against clubs doing the same thing . I wish we could be Fev or Leigh but at the minute we're not . Holding our spot in this league is the first step to getting there , and surely this helps by getting up that core of game changing players we've talked about that win games . Things are looking better than a couple of weeks back and no mistake . I like the way Vievers talks already .

Edited by DavidM, 07 March 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#52 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's quite funny that the Leigh fan comes on here now warning us of the grave mistake the club is making even though he has no idea what has been agreed between the two clubs. Just because Leigh is now secure and has a great squad DR is now the devils work.

DR can be bad for a club or then again when managed well it can be beneficial. Our Widnes link up was hardly a disaster for us was it? It certainly wasn't perfect but it didn't destroy the morale of our players as far as I know.

Our club can learn a great deal from Wigan and how they operate, and their players can supplement our squad which isn't exactly huge. In return we give the players experience at playing at this level or keep them fit. Wigan will also probably run the rule over our players and see if there are any with the potential for development. Sorry Sweaty Craig but the more posts you make the more it sound like sour grapes, if your club couldn't afford the huge quality squad it has this season would you have still been so judgemental - I doubt it.

I like the way you study our squad H4E, are you sure you are not a closet Townie?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#53 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

....another thing I like about DR is I now find some SL matches a bit more interesting than I might of previously. Good to see both Paddy Flynn and McGrath-Leulai having good games the other night.

#54 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Yeah it was good to see Paddy getting his dues . He turned up here and put the effort in so he deserves it . As for McGraff , not much of him but he's chiselled out of granite

Edited by DavidM, 07 March 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#55 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Paddy must've been working on his catching over the winter!!

#56 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

How many of the Barrow team on Sunday will be Barrow players and not on loan ? 

We've got 3 on loan from Leigh. Bullock, Briscoe and Rowe. Shaw is the other loanee from Warrington

Rowe won't play though, he's injured.

#57 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

We've got 3 on loan from Leigh. Bullock, Briscoe and Rowe. Shaw is the other loanee from Warrington

Town have 3 on loan from Wigan, Tierney, Murphy and Lever and 1 duel reg playing on Sunday, Hopkins.

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

80% I'd check your figures again mate,Morris,mcgoff,Miller,Carter,stack,Lupton,forber,hanney,durden.Unless you have a 45 man squad ,barrow/millom lads travell as far as some of the Leigh players will.

I think wonky was counting some of your ducks as well  :angel:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#59 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

DR or loans.......not a lot of difference, we both have the same number of non signed players. For some to say we are another Swinton is ridiculous we to my knowledge haven't signed another 5 Wigan players on and then DR'd them back like they did. I would imagine most teams in our division this weekend will have the same number of loanees and DR players as the rest (apart from the ones with loads of cash, and Swinton........and haven).........How many does that leave !!!!     

#60 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

DR or loans.......not a lot of difference, we both have the same number of non signed players. For some to say we are another Swinton is ridiculous we to my knowledge haven't signed another 5 Wigan players on and then DR'd them back like they did. I would imagine most teams in our division this weekend will have the same number of loanees and DR players as the rest (apart from the ones with loads of cash, and Swinton........and haven).........How many does that leave !!!!     

I haven't said anything about Towns DR, with Wigan, all I've done is answer a question about Barrow