TRL Helpdesk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

So I plan to get back in the garage and do some weight exercising again. I've a set of free weights, adjustable dumbbells, barbell, a curl bar and triceps bar. I've also a small, basic bench and a roof mouted pulley.

I want to make the most of my limited time (20 minutes to start with, plus 2 5 minute periods for pre- and post-stretching).

My question is, should I do equipment based sessions; barbell for 10 minutes, dumbbell for 10 minutes, etc. or should I do body part based sessions; arms for 10 minutes, shoulders for 10 minutes, etc.

It seems more logical to do arms/shoulders, back/chest, legs/abs per week but I found when I did minor weight exercising before that the changing weights and set up took valuable time.

I'm ok for different exercises for each type just which routine type would be more efficient.

Cheers.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

I just alternate hands when picking up my pint which counter intuitively has enabled me to bulk up my stomach muscles!

LUNEW.jpg

#3 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

There's been a move away from isolation (body part) training in recent years - a lot of current thinking is that exercise that uses all of your big muscles (legs, back, chest, arms) in combination are more effective. 

With the kit you've got, deadlifts and squats are the things to go for - but make sure your technique is good. Deadlifts are brilliant unless you're doing them wrong.

Mix those up with some bodyweight exercises (push ups, body weight squats, burpees) and you'll be laughing. Actually you won't - you'll be in a world of pain :-) - but you'll feel get fit.

If you can afford some more kit, get a couple of kettlebells (8kg and 12kg are good challenging weights for beginner to intermediate).

Try these workouts on altenating days. Go through the reps without a break until the end and move quickly from exercise to exercise.

10 * burpees

10 * mountain climbers

10 * squat jumps

finish with 10 * burpees

And that's it. It will only take you a few minutes but you'll be breathing hard and your legs won't like you anymore.

For your weights session, kettlebell circuits are lethal. Something like:

30 secs kettlebell swings

30 secs squats

30 secs clean and press

then swap arms, and repeat other side then take a minute's breather, and repeat x 3.

There are some good youtube vids that will give you technique pointers for kettlebells.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#4 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I can vouch for kettlebells. The range of exercises available are far greater than dumbbells. A 3 x 30 kettlebell swing with a 16kg still gets me blowing.

One of the first videos I watched/used:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users