Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Starting a Junior Side

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

I know (or hoping) many of you on here have experience in starting up junior teams, I was just hoping for a bit of advice and a bit of knowledge of some of your experiences.

Our club, well team have been around since 2008 and have now established ourselves as a stable and stand alone open age side. My aim is now to create a junior section well one age group to start with. I realise this will be difficult with quite a few existing well established clubs already in the city, but I believe there is definitely room for another RL club.

Like I say any advice, like who to contact within the RFL or other sporting bodies and basically what I need to get this off the ground would be most welcome.

Thanks

#2 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Talk to your Competition Manager about who you need to talk to.  It may be him/her.  First of all, if you have one team or ten, you need a Club Welfare Officer.  Info is here.  The steps are to get DBS cleared and go to the relevant RFL CWO courses.  If you have somebody who will be the Youth Coordinator/Manager/etc. then they are probably the right choice.

Beyond that, you'll need a qualified head coach, preferably level 2 standard or above, and at least one assistant coach.  I believe there are minimum ratios of children to coaches and you may even need a three coaches per team.  These people also need to be DBS cleared.

Do this now, I reckon you need a year to get people on board, to get people qualified and to recruit players.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#3 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Bbfaz,

Thanks very much for your advice very useful, and cheers for the link some helpful information there.

I have held my coaching badges previously but I think it has probably ran out now so I will be re-doing the courses. I reckon I will be able to get a few assistants so should be okay on this.

The plan was to start playing next year and start the ball rolling now to get the foundations in place, so hopefully we will have enough time.

Again thank you,

#4 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Just contact your regional league secretary it's not as complexed as described , that's enough to put anyone off from even contemplating any new venture .

#5 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Agreed, it's not difficult.  In fact, the RFL has all the policies laid out, you just have to adopt them.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#6 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the help, I've also been in touch with Knights and they have also been quite helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users