Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Championship Finals Day

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

At Headingley at last ,

#2 GARY....S

GARY....S
  • Coach
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Nice and easy to get to and from and a few pubs around the ground  sounds good to me

"somebody pinch me I must be dreaming"

" TK ROVERS TO THE MAXX "

Posted Image

#3 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Brilliant news! Getting promoted against Oldham was a great day with a great atmosphere, at a proper rugby ground. Not to mention the shorter trek.

#4 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Really good news.

Best venue for the finals day. Think the crowd will be up whoever get's there.

Agree, 2007 v Oldham was a top day out.

#5 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Excellent news.........hope we get there this time!!!!

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#6 ackworth

ackworth
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Anyone any idea of date or when this will be announced - wouldn't want to be away for that weekend!! 

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Anyone any idea of date or when this will be announced - wouldn't want to be away for that weekend!! 

Sat 4th or Sun 5th of October.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#8 Mark H

Mark H
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Great news for Headingley,jump on the train at the bottom of our street £3.60 return,dream ticket really

Who do we think for the final at this early stage of the season,Leigh are looking strong contenders

Fev v Leigh,my 2

Can remember Oldham game,brilliant day out.Victory at Headingley then into Leeds for a bite to eat,taxi to back to the clubhouse for a late night in the bar and a taxi back to Garforth,cost a small fortune but worth every penny,you can't put a price on days like that.

Forza Fev

Forza Fev

#9 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

I for one wouldn't automatically assume Rovers will be in the final at this early stage. Things can bite you on the ######, as last year. However, if we do, Headingley is a ground that holds lots of happy memories for the team.

My dad always used to say, the lads'll be alright. at a neutral ground, as long as it's not Odsal. But Headingley was the converse.

I think Rovers beat Cas in the 73 CC semi there. They definitely beat Bradfird there in the 83 semi. In the 80s Headingley was a bit of a haven for the often struggling Rovers teams. I can't remember the exact scores but Featherstone prevailed away to Leeds in the 80/81, 82/83, 84/85 and the 89/90 Prem QF. To add to this they beat Leeds there in the 90/91 season all the games mentioned I remember were tough nail biting games, fairly low scoring and could have gone either way, just a few points seperated the teams on those occasions but Fev always prevailed. I remember the game in 84/85 season ; Fev heroically won the game after being down to 12 men for most of the game,after one of the forwards' early dismissal, possibly Neil Clawson. There was another game in the 90s when Leeds beat us very narrowly and we were down to 11 men for a large segment of the game.
Then in the 93/94 season Fev gave one of their greatest displays of the whole decade in an away game when they put 30 odd on Leeds in front of the Sky cameras.

Like earlier posters have said the Oldham game was a great occasion of recent times.

I miss the games at Headingley, I feel that we were real underdogs and that there was a gladiatorial atmosphere when we went there, and even though we were in massive minorities and underdogs most of the time, our spectators and our team always did us proud.

There was the odd time we came off second best there, both in League games and certainly County Cup
Finals, notably 77 v Cas, 89 v Bradford, but generally I have happy memories of Headingley. Let's hope the new era will bring these occasions once again, especially for the younger supporters of this great club.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 08 March 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#10 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

I fondly remember the '73 and '74 semi-finals, especially the the incident on the bowling green at the Original Oak before the game (I think it was '74).

The Fev lads had downed a few and someone produced a rugby ball, so they started up a game on the bowling green. The landlord resembled Basil Fawlty and was chasing around after them waving his arms around like a lunatic. It didn't get out of hand though, and from what I remembered it ended in a lighthearted manner.

One for MLP:-

Didn't our present coach have what was probably his best ever game for us, when we best Leeds in a play-off Q/Final at Headingley? I think it was either '89 or '90, and we lost to Hull at the Boulevard in the semi's.   

#11 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Steve I indicated in my previous post that it was the 89/90 season when in fact it was just after Hillsborough so was the 88/89 season. I can remember the minute's silence in the last home league game v Warrington..

In the Leeds Prem QF Craig Booth scored near the end to cement the win.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 08 March 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

the 73 semi v cas we won 17-3 i think. steve nash was brilliant and cyril kellett was outstanding at fullback

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Steve I indicated in my previous post that it was the 89/90 season when in fact it was just after Hillsborough so was the 88/89 season. I can remember the minute's silence in the last home league game v Warrington..

In the Leeds Prem QF Craig Booth scored near the end to cement the win.

Glen Booth not Craig. 15-12 we won.

#14 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

I fondly remember the '73 and '74 semi-finals, especially the the incident on the bowling green at the Original Oak before the game (I think it was '74).

The Fev lads had downed a few and someone produced a rugby ball, so they started up a game on the bowling green. The landlord resembled Basil Fawlty and was chasing around after them waving his arms around like a lunatic. It didn't get out of hand though, and from what I remembered it ended in a lighthearted manner.

One for MLP:-

Didn't our present coach have what was probably his best ever game for us, when we best Leeds in a play-off Q/Final at Headingley? I think it was either '89 or '90, and we lost to Hull at the Boulevard in the semi's.   

JB certainly played that day, and the SF at Hull too though I don't remember him being that outstanding. Great team display and he surely played his part. JB's day in the sun was when we went to Saints, slaughtered them and he skipped over for a couple of tries.

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Glen Booth not Craig. 15-12 we won.

I also used 'Prevailed' twice in the same paragraph.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 08 March 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Headingley 2007 was the start for me attending games on a regular basis. Happy days. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users