Horace Grainger

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Horace Grainger who was once the worlds most expensive rugby league player when Hunslet RLFC signed him in 1958 from Dewsbury for £2,000 has died aged 84. He  was also a director at Hunslet RLFC when we played at Elland Rd in the 1980's.

It's strange that although I remember his name and must have seen him play on numerous occasions I have no recollection of seeing him play. I believe he was a winger, maybe some of the other old time supporters who have better memories than me can add more. If he commanded a world record fee he must have been one hell of a player!

#2 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

We didn't sign him for a world record fee! In those days, the record was about £9,000 to £10,000. It may have been a record for the Dewsbury club though. He was a very fast winger, but didn't get picked very often in the 1st team. He scored 10 tries in 12 appearances between 1958-9 and 1960-1. I believe he moved on to Bradford Northern later. Hunslet beat Dewsbury 52-21 in 1958-9 and Grainger scored 2 tries for Dewsbury which tempted Hunslet to sign him. Him and his wife were very nice people.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#3 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info gabby. It was the Yorkshire Post who said "he was the worlds most expensive RL player of the time" when he was transfered from Dewsbury. Not the first time they've been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users