"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

some solid performances by the "poms" in the NRL this weekend..

jammer,samB& georgeB put in their usual high standard showings....

luke burgess did well,could ecuse him of trying too hard at times,silly double movement and knock ons..

gaz widdop ran the show and just about everyone was surprised by mike cooper

jack reed went ok

and tomkins already has a assist just 25MIN into his debut..

we're doing well

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

can't comment on the other british lads but you cant be watching the same game as me about tomkins he looks like a little boy against the aus players yes he did assist in there first try BUT his tackleing in defance has a lot to be desired missed two one on ones for the first two tries but give him time

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

2 assists by tomkins.....

OLDHAM RLFC

#4 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Tomkins is doing alright. He is clearly nervous and has been a bit sloppy, but still has 2 try assists.

Does he always just stick to the right side though? I've got him as fullback in my supercoach and he could be doubling his opportunities if he played both sides of the field.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

and i think thats at bit harsh about his defence...

1st try he was there but slipped and the 2nd try was 2 on 1 and he lined up the ball carrier who passed it to hayne..theres nothing he can do about that

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Lol, well a big deal is going to be made about that. Tomkins drops a high ball, oh my GOD. Haha. And leads to a try.

That's ###### for my supercoach.

EDIT: looks like it won't be a try. Held up. EDIT: Or not. Try, but baffling decision.

That was the first pressure ball Tomkins has had to field in the NRL though. I say no big deal, but you know what some are like.

Edited by CGD, 09 March 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

that was never a try lol

but yeah the slow mo of tomkins turning his head before hes caught it will be picked up on.

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Tomkins looks tiny out there.

#9 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Lol, Tomkins mouthing off at Hayne. He's a better player than you, Sam. And not the last superior fullback you'll face here. Welcome to the NRL.

#10 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Yes, he has 2 assists but Jaryd Hayne is giving him a lesson in full back play in the NRL tonight.

As for Luke Burgess' no try. I'm still not convinced. Rabs brought it up in commentary and wanted another look but they never showed it. His ball carrying arm never touched the floor.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#11 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

that was never a try lol

but yeah the slow mo of tomkins turning his head before hes caught it will be picked up on.

Don't go on LU

He's already getting slated over there and that was before he dropped the bomb.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#12 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Took a bomb there under a lot of pressure from Hayne running in.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

they slate anyone...

plus its apparent that "poms" have to play to a different standard....of course we've never seen billy slater drop bombs,get turnstyled by a prop or be that out of position he slides into tackles feet first....but yeah godforbid tomkins does any of that lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

I'm a big fan of Tomkins but he didn't have a good night. Didn't help that the Warriors completely sucked. Easily worst performance from any team so far, they were bad to watch.

#15 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Judging by the rubbish on Twitter there is plenty of English people wanting the guy to fail. It just shows the attitude of the average RL fan that they would rather he fail and sneak off to Union than be a success.

If he did go fail and go to Union the media will brush over it anyway.

Edited by markleeds, 09 March 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#16 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Widdop was excellent for the Saints, assists for 4 of their 7 tries and kicked 8 from 8 some of which from wide out. A good start don't think saints have scored +40 for quite some time. Cooper looked surprisingly sharp as well.

#17 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Tomkins will get better, he looked a little disoriented at times behind a well beaten pack and the eels were always on the lookout for the ball out the back play to him.
I don't think many warriors players covered themselves in glory so he can't really be singled out, however with the level of expectation around him I'm sure the aus media and some fans still will pick fault.
It's a long season yet though.

#18 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Yes, he has 2 assists but Jaryd Hayne is giving him a lesson in full back play in the NRL tonight.

Really? If Hayne is so good, why is he playing for the worst team in Australia?

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Tomkins looked nervous and had a poor 1st game but it's exactly that his 1st game, don't forget that was a pretty shocking warriors performance all round. I'm still extremely confident that both Sam Tomkins and the warriors will improve throughout the season, they're just too good not to.

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Really? If Hayne is so good, why is he playing for the worst team in Australia?

Money?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users