Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#181 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Tomkins did a lot better in his third game for the Warriors. Heavily involved in attack as usual. Performed a try saving tackle of Simms in the 70th minute which went a huge way towards the Warriors winning the game. It will still be 8-10 games before Tomkins fully adjusts though and we see his true form.

Tomkins did superbly well in grad tackle on Sims. He also looked a bit sharper in attack, as soon as he gets to understand Johnson's game a bit better he will go to the next level.

They could do with a new 6 mind, didn't really rate Chad Townsend.

#182 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Any sign of his speed coming back?

#183 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Tomkins having an influence on the Wariors a geat pic was taken tonight after the first Win of the Season

I tried to post a pic but it's the wrong format of the Warriors dressing room

It's a photo of every Warrior...trainers included....joining Jack

Edited by mt smart, 22 March 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#184 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Tomkins having an influence on the Wariors a geat pic was taken tonight after the first Win of the Season

I tried to post a pic but it's the wrong format of the Warriors dressing room

It's a photo of every Warrior...trainers included....joining Jack

Got a link?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#185 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Got a link?

Hang on, this might work...

BjVRkVbCAAAMQoY.jpg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#186 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Tomkins recovers from an error leading to the Wests second try to star in a convincing Warriors win against Wests.

Wests couldn't handle him on the Warriors right side attack. How many breaks which led to tries did the Warriors make off the ball going to Tomkins he has a player shoot out at him he offloads the ball and creates about 10 metres space for his centre and winger. If teams keep doing that the Warriors will win easily against sides this year as if you give Hurrell and Fishaii space they will score points.

Is it no coincidence that Charnley at Wigan was easily the top try scorer and now Fishaii is a contender to top the NRL try scorers with 4 tries today?

The Aussie commentators do my head in though. They are far too critical on Tomkins. He made about 2 errors all game but was the one who created the space for 3 of Warriors tries and was heavily involved in a couple of others. Didn't stop the commentators describing Tomkins as having a 'mixed bag but is lively' in a patronising way as he walked through the Tigers defence to score.

The Aussie newspapers don't tend to have this patronising outlook on things though.

#187 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

What pleased me was the way he exploded through the line for his try showing something of his old turn of speed. He played superbly today.

#188 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

I missed the first half, so missed his big blunder. I still saw a couple others, but he was very good otherwise. It was particularly great to watch him linking up directly with Johnson, who came within centimetres of bagging a double. Tomkins' try was a superb.

I expect his high error rate to lessen as he becomes more comfortable in the NRL. Until then, expect the "mixed bag" comments to continue, as it is true.

#189 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I missed the first half, so missed his big blunder. I still saw a couple others, but he was very good otherwise. It was particularly great to watch him linking up directly with Johnson, who came within centimetres of bagging a double. Tomkins' try was a superb.

I expect his high error rate to lessen as he becomes more comfortable in the NRL. Until then, expect the "mixed bag" comments to continue, as it is true.

His offense was never in doubt. It's his defensive liabilities which were his Achilles heel in SL and it looks like they are being found out in the NRL as one would expect. I am sure be is talented enough that most of his weaknesses can be coached out of his game.

#190 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

I think 'mixed bag' is harsh. He has the odd error in him but the plus side to the attacking structure he gives too the Warriors far out weighs the negatives.

He's not perfect as no one expected him to be. He's playing well but the commentators seem reluctant to do so.

#191 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

His offense was never in doubt. It's his defensive liabilities which were his Achilles heel in SL and it looks like they are being found out in the NRL as one would expect. I am sure be is talented enough that most of his weaknesses can be coached out of his game.

He wasn't found out at all today. He didn't make any technical errors that would have been commented on if Slater had done them. Not kicking out the ball before it rolled dead was stupid but is the sort of thing that happens once and never again. His catching of the high ball has been fine for a while and his goal line defence has been superb. Having seen all his games the one thing I was worried any was whether he'd lost his pace. I am cautiously optimisitic after seeing his superb try today that it either never went or is coming back. He's already a leading player there and gives the Warriors an extra dimension.

#192 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

He wasn't found out at all today. He didn't make any technical errors that would have been commented on if Slater had done them. Not kicking out the ball before it rolled dead was stupid but is the sort of thing that happens once and never again. His catching of the high ball has been fine for a while and his goal line defence has been superb. Having seen all his games the one thing I was worried any was whether he'd lost his pace. I am cautiously optimisitic after seeing his superb try today that it either never went or is coming back. He's already a leading player there and gives the Warriors an extra dimension.

Utter ######. 4 Bombs he was missing in action...when the game was poised at 26-18 there was a loose ball on the ground he should have dived on but bottled it and as for their 2nd try, he should have batted it out of play.... There plenty of instances of him going nowhere fast...... and check out the 3rd Tigers try for an example of his "goal line defence".
His try came at the end....it's one thing skinning tired players who know they are beaten, but whilst the game was in the balance, I though he was decidedly average and most assuredly not worth $900k a year.

Cracking atmosphere at the Cake Tin last night........NZII must be a real possibility. 22k and very little marketing at all.......

#193 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Utter ######. 4 Bombs he was missing in action...when the game was poised at 26-18 there was a loose ball on the ground he should have dived on but bottled it and as for their 2nd try, he should have batted it out of play.... There plenty of instances of him going nowhere fast...... and check out the 3rd Tigers try for an example of his "goal line defence".
His try came at the end....it's one thing skinning tired players who know they are beaten, but whilst the game was in the balance, I though he was decidedly average and most assuredly not worth $900k a year.

Cracking atmosphere at the Cake Tin last night........NZII must be a real possibility. 22k and very little marketing at all.......

Where do we start here.

4 bombs he missed? Can you refer to the minutes he dropped them I've got the ball on record I'd love to see them.

The second try was an error no one is denying that. It has happened to many players. Slate has misjudged things before as has Inglis, Barba ect. It was a one off.

The tackle on Farah was not his fault whatsoever. He went round the legs and was third man in. There was two New Zealand Warriors forwards who should of been on the ball covering it up. The fact Tomkins even made an effort to adjust from the legs and try get the ball was a good effort in itself but the two people infront of Farah should of stopped him not Tomkins coming from the side. If you want to see evidence of Tomkins' goal line defence see the 70th minute of the Cowboys v Warriors and the tackle on Simms. If Tomkins didn't make that tackle the Warriors lose that game.

Once again absolute rubbish about him not having an impact whilst players are fresh and the game is competitive. Firstly a 12 point gap is not definite. Tomkins' try was the game killer. In the minute Tomkins scored the try the Warriors scored 12 points from that moment. That means it is more than possible Wests could of done it so the game was competitive. Also Tomkins created the space for all of Fishaiis tries except from the error by Wests off the kick. Players shooting out on Tomkins led to Hurrell and Fishaii having acres of space to run into and score points. Your point is ridiculous.

Come back when you have some actual basis to your argument.

#194 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

His job is to skin players when they are tired and he will come good in the coming weeks. He has two tries and six assists after four rounds despite making a slow start. He is a target for the press and armchair fans at the moment because they know how good he can be. He's been through the boo phase in the UK over the last few years, this will be water off a duck's back in the long term.

Interesting, that the crowd was down 8k on last year. Must be poor marketing or something.

#195 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

I think the 'mixed bag' comments were probably more to do with his blunder which led to the Anasta try and the few knock ons/dropped balls he came up with. Tomkins didn't look too happy with his own game, but showed some glimpses of his class with some lovely hands and a well taken try.

He'll get better and better, I'm quite confident of that.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#196 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

I reckon today was the turning point for him, he started to look confident towards the end of the game, he's looked quite nervous up to today, good to see how happy his team mates were for him when he scored!

#197 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I had no idea you even knew the rules of our game. I suspect you don't and would be astonished if you actually watched the game. You just googled something and caught the tries on TV didn't you?

#198 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

I haven't seen the match yet but apparently James Graham did well in the Doggies win over the Storm.  Apparently he was knocked out twice too, although that could be a Twitter exaggeration.

#199 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

I haven't seen the match yet but apparently James Graham did well in the Doggies win over the Storm.  Apparently he was knocked out twice too, although that could be a Twitter exaggeration.

James Graham was outstanding against the Storm, he faked a bad concussion, had jelly legs for awhile after taking a good headknock. 

Typical englishman, he was only stunned and fatigued, he came back on the second half and killed it again, scored a try then the coach gave him a rest. 

The look on his face when he scored was priceless, then he faked concussion again so they took him off. Nice play to the big guy. 

Everyone in oz is going on about him playing concussed, same as Sam Faiday last weekend, these guys are fatigued not concussed. 

They do the recognitive test and pass so fans are thinking jelly legs is concussion when it is only fatigue.

Tomkins is now behind a team that is showing more heart and passion finally. 

Tomkins was never the problem, is was the warriors as a whole. 

Now we are seeing what the warriors can really do. 

They will still have their ups and downs, Roparti broken jaw. 

#200 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:31 AM

The entire discussion of errors and "quality" players is nonsense. All champion players make errors. It's a reality. Partly because they are human but also because they attempt things that lesser players steer clear of. In the NRL all the top players have errors against them in every game - it's just they're (quite rightly) overlooked - especially when weighed against the qualities that they do bring to the teams that they play for.

Some on here might remember the reinvention of Tommy Martyn (st Helen's stand off in the late 1990s). He went from career journeyman to man of steel in his final seasons. The reason was his coach had a meeting and basically said "your error rate is too low - you're clearly taking the safer options. Don't worry about making mistakes just go for the opportunities". It made him a formidable player - a shame he didn't receive the advice as a young player.

Tomkins has made the same types of errors that any other NRL/SL player has made. I'd also say he's been the best fullback we've had at the Warriors for a long time and I'm very pleased to see him there. I also suspect that his impact on the team is going to increase. I believe that by the end of the 26 rounds the Hurrell/Fish partnership will be the wing/centre combo with the best try rate in te comp and a lot of this will be down to Tomkins.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users