Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#201 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Sams come from a very structured team and spine combinations that know each other inside out.

The Warriors are the most difficult team in the NRL to read , for opposition teams / coaches and even themselves....trying to play in any kind of predictive way is impossible without the benefit of time. 

Tommy L took ten rounds to work out the Warriors strengths.

Sams doing fine ,  the NRL is as competitivre as I've ever seen it this year. Any team can win is the old cliche , this year the Wooden spoon finalists are dishing it out to the others and it's going to be a really hard season to predict.

The predictions about Manly / Roosters / Rabbits ....while playing like favorites....they're starting to feel the pressure coming from all of the teams targeting them in games.

Tomkins knew full well what he was getting himself in for , he's had hard games at international level and in the superleague , he has maintained from day one that he expects the NRL to test him to the limit.

WIth Tommy L and Hurrell returning to the team , the right edge is going to be an NRL horror show....teams will be fearing it.....how do you stop Johnson Tomkins and Hurrell ?  It's a serious question.....if that edge sees good ball at any end of the feild and FIsi'ahi is the last reciver off that sequence of players.....no one is going to catch Fis'iahi

Edited by mt smart, 30 March 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#202 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Utter ######. 4 Bombs he was missing in action...when the game was poised at 26-18 there was a loose ball on the ground he should have dived on but bottled it and as for their 2nd try, he should have batted it out of play.... There plenty of instances of him going nowhere fast...... and check out the 3rd Tigers try for an example of his "goal line defence".
His try came at the end....it's one thing skinning tired players who know they are beaten, but whilst the game was in the balance, I though he was decidedly average and most assuredly not worth $900k a year.

Cracking atmosphere at the Cake Tin last night........NZII must be a real possibility. 22k and very little marketing at all.......

So much wrong in one post, impressive.

#203 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

I haven't seen the match yet but apparently James Graham did well in the Doggies win over the Storm.

I have seen it. He was outstanding.

That's me.  I'm done.

#204 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I've been watching Tomkins closely in the NRL. He's started quite quietly, which might be expected given the upheaval of moving to the other end of the world, but he's getting into his stride and looking more comfortable.

I think he's going to end up as a huge star in the NRL.

That's me.  I'm done.

#205 Simon Kerr

Simon Kerr
  • Coach
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

'Englishman Tomkins makes too many mistakes, and further clangers against the Wests Tigers on Saturday would have been costly in many NRL games. But the wiry fullback showed his capabilities later on, scorching around defenders for a try and producing a wonderful flick pass for another.

Tomkins is coming to grips with an assignment that is more relentless and physically tougher than he is used to. He knows what is required, but isn't capable of it yet and the possibility exists that he never will be. But there is decent hope. Marshall, however, is a fish so far out of water there are camels wandering by. It's not too late for him to have a crack at the English Super League.'

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11229247

Posted Image

#206 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Where do we start here.

4 bombs he missed? Can you refer to the minutes he dropped them I've got the ball on record I'd love to see them.

No because I was at the game, but believe me, there were 4, possibly more occasions where a Wests Kick was not "claimed" as it should have been by the player running forwards.......in these cases, the warriors full back....he deliverers little if any confidence to his team mates under the high ball.

So much wrong in one post, impressive.

How so?

I had no idea you even knew the rules of our game. I suspect you don't and would be astonished if you actually watched the game. You just googled something and caught the tries on TV didn't you?

No...I was actually there. There's a picture of me in the 360 degree picture that they took at half time....I'm wearing last years Wellington NZ Warriors Shirt and Mrs G was wearing my 2009 heritage shirt.

#207 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

Interesting, that the crowd was down 8k on last year. Must be poor marketing or something.

Indeed.....something. The warriors management said last year that 20k was a "break even" figure. Many Wellingtonians I spoke to expected this game to get a 15k crowd....there was little in the way of any promotion for it and certainly nothing along the lines of last year.

The fact that 22,500 came (5,500 down, not 8k BTW) is testament to the level of support an NRL side would get down here.....the soccer ballers got 6,252 yesterday, the Union lot 7,666 a couple of weeks back and only 8k for their first home game of the season. The AFL are here next month......I've already been offered freebies for that, but there was nothing for the warriors.....

#208 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

There definitely needs to be another Kiwi team in the NRL. I've always thought either Wellington or Christchurch should be the destination, but with the support from Wellington, you got to go with them. 

#209 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

Indeed.....something. The warriors management said last year that 20k was a "break even" figure. Many Wellingtonians I spoke to expected this game to get a 15k crowd....there was little in the way of any promotion for it and certainly nothing along the lines of last year.

The fact that 22,500 came (5,500 down, not 8k BTW) is testament to the level of support an NRL side would get down here.....the soccer ballers got 6,252 yesterday, the Union lot 7,666 a couple of weeks back and only 8k for their first home game of the season. The AFL are here next month......I've already been offered freebies for that, but there was nothing for the warriors.....

I didn't go but I went last year.  It was a financial decision - I'll go next year with luck.  My neighbours decided to go to the 9s this year - which ruled out Wellington.  Last year four of us were at the Caketin - as well as three other people that I work with.  None were there this year - everything to do with cost rather than interest.  I'm sure there are similar stories

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#210 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

'Marshall, however, is a fish so far out of water there are camels wandering by. It's not too late for him to have a crack at the English Super League.'

Is that what they think of SL? A home for players past it in the NRL? Maybe that's why they're so keen to sign many of our players then. 

#211 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Didn't the AFL give out something like 10,000 freebies for last year game in Wellington and still didn't have a full house?

I do agree with a lot of people who think that Wellington should have a NRL side, and i think they will along with Perth in the not to distant future.

#212 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

'Englishman Tomkins makes too many mistakes, and further clangers against the Wests Tigers on Saturday would have been costly in many NRL games. But the wiry fullback showed his capabilities later on, scorching around defenders for a try and producing a wonderful flick pass for another.

Tomkins is coming to grips with an assignment that is more relentless and physically tougher than he is used to. He knows what is required, but isn't capable of it yet and the possibility exists that he never will be. But there is decent hope. Marshall, however, is a fish so far out of water there are camels wandering by. It's not too late for him to have a crack at the English Super League.'

Using Chris Rattue as a source of expert opinion?  May as well ask Mr S. Jones what he thinks.

#213 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

There definitely needs to be another Kiwi team in the NRL. I've always thought either Wellington or Christchurch should be the destination, but with the support from Wellington, you got to go with them. 

Should be both.  With 26 rounds there is scope to play a certain number of fixtures in both cities.  Both areas have their strengths.  Welly is the capital and arguably has the bigger population catchment.  ChCh has the biggest RL comp outside of Auckland and a team in this area would have access to a large number of juniors currently not viewed by Warriors (or other NRL scouts).  ChCh also has a venue ready to go (the RL Park in Addington - currently being used by the Crusaders in S15 post earthquake - but the long term lease with CRL).

#214 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:32 AM

Should be both.  With 26 rounds there is scope to play a certain number of fixtures in both cities.  Both areas have their strengths.  Welly is the capital and arguably has the bigger population catchment.  ChCh has the biggest RL comp outside of Auckland and a team in this area would have access to a large number of juniors currently not viewed by Warriors (or other NRL scouts).  ChCh also has a venue ready to go (the RL Park in Addington - currently being used by the Crusaders in S15 post earthquake - but the long term lease with CRL).

6 games in Wellington, 4 in Christchurch, then one in Dunedin and one in Invercargill would be great, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself :P

#215 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

No - just Wellington and ChCh I reckon.

#216 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

As a born and bred Aucklander , local club player, years supporting my mates playing for the Auckland team pre the Warriors........

The Game must continue to be played out of Auckland.

All trials should be away from Auckland

Three NRL games a year outside Auckland would be perfect.

Wellington Christchurch and Hamilton, two should be hosted by the Warriors , the third should be hosted by an NRL team as their home game ( a model that has made the Sharks / Roosters / Bulldogs profit ).

Edited by mt smart, 31 March 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#217 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Sams doing fine ,  the NRL is as competitivre as I've ever seen it this year. Any team can win is the old cliche , this year the Wooden spoon finalists are dishing it out to the others and it's going to be a really hard season to predict.

i think its time we stop calling it competitive and start labeling teams as inconsistant instead...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#218 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

i think its time we stop calling it competitive and start labeling teams as inconsistant instead...

Silly comment - there is no inconsistency - just lots of strong teams competing at such a level that marginal differences on the day make the difference between winning and losing.

It's as it should be. It would be excellent if the SL was as "inconsistent".

#219 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

As a born and bred Aucklander , local club player, years supporting my mates playing for the Auckland team pre the Warriors........

The Game must continue to be played out of Auckland.

All trials should be away from Auckland

Three NRL games a year outside Auckland would be perfect.

Wellington Christchurch and Hamilton, two should be hosted by the Warriors , the third should be hosted by an NRL team as their home game ( a model that has made the Sharks / Roosters / Bulldogs profit ).

Are you saying that there shouldn't be a second NZ NRL side? I can't agree with you if it is.....

#220 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

Silly comment - there is no inconsistency - just lots of strong teams competing at such a level that marginal differences on the day make the difference between winning and losing.

It's as it should be. It would be excellent if the SL was as "inconsistent".

i must watch a different NRL to you then.......

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users