"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#221 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Silly comment - there is no inconsistency - just lots of strong teams competing at such a level that marginal differences on the day make the difference between winning and losing.

It's as it should be. It would be excellent if the SL was as "inconsistent".

Last night I watched the Eagles-Roosters game I had recorded from Friday.  That was of a very low standard.  Error strewn with very little skill on show.  The Saints-Leeds match on Friday night here was so far ahead of it in all respects as to be on a different planet never mind in a different hemisphere, and that's with half a dozen under 21s in the Saints team.

#222 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

Are you saying that there shouldn't be a second NZ NRL side? I can't agree with you if it is.....

No way Jose
 lol

i recon the Warriors have held the game back here.

The sooner NZ Rugby leagues profile isn't solely dependent on Warriors success the better.

#223 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

I have to admit the quality of games so far have been below par. Definitely a lot of inconsistency shown by most teams.

Go Raiders.

#224 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

There have been some poor games , but by in large the up and down results are being forced by the improvements from most of the teams who finished outside of last years top eight.

There are also lower top eight 2013 clubs like the Cows sitting on an impressive Roster that will likely come into their own and cause more of what people will label as inconsistent results....until they realise it's a very good team that have been off form.

Paramatta are the biggest improvers this year , they really deserved to beat Manly a week ago. 

The Tigers are another team that could do anything with a bit of luck around Injury especially.

The Titans keep plugging away......another team with plenty of Talent that haven't realised it yet , fifth on the ladder , perhaps the confidence of that will see them continue to improve.

The Dragons are sitting on top of the world deservedly and they'll be hard to beat.

The Warriors are coming right slowly but surely.

So expect the up and down results to continue...expect teams that are not 100 % on their game...to not be allowed to get away with coasting on last years results.

Addit : I forgot the Raiders , they are always hard to predict , so far they're looking pretty consistent and you can't talk turn around form from last year without looking at the way the Broncos are tackling their way through games...they look really good if you throw in Hodges due back soon. 

Edited by mt smart, 31 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#225 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I have to admit the quality of games so far have been below par. Definitely a lot of inconsistency shown by most teams.

Go Raiders.

Does that mean they're below par? I admit the Bunnies look to have been living up the their moniker.

Could it be the new interpretations of the rules?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#226 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Does that mean who are below par?

I've been able to watch every game so far except for one and half of another. I caught those on the radio. I think it's clear most teams are playing or have played well below what they're capable of. I'm not convinced by any team yet.

I'll also clear up that I don't believe inconsistency is the same as non competitive. This year's comp is clearly very competitive so far. Just ask anyone trying to tip it.

#227 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

Does that mean who are below par?

I've been able to watch every game so far except for one and half of another. I caught those on the radio. I think it's clear most teams are playing or have played well below what they're capable of. I'm not convinced by any team yet.

I'll also clear up that I don't believe inconsistency is the same as non competitive. This year's comp is clearly very competitive so far. Just ask anyone trying to tip it.

One thing that is missing from this argument is the new rules , and I believe that they have radically changed the landscape and the shape of the NRL, the apparent inconsistencies and upsets are primarily driven by the rules in my humble opinion. 

i haven't see a more uncertain interpretation of a rule revolution since the switch from the five meter rule.

Even Refs are struggling , their instinct is to not allow the quick tap....and we're seeing pedantic rulings which go entirely against the quick tap concept. 

Some teams are adjusting to the rules better than others , largely because the rules suit the type of roster they have and you have to factor in some reluctance from last years most successful teams to go away from what was working for them.

The smaller forward packs are finding themselves competitive against the big boys off the back of seven tackle options and sped up play.

The Roosters Manly game was the exception that proves the rule....two teams with big packs sticking to their keep it tight systems from 2013.

Put the Roosters against the Broncos  who have adapted to the new rules well ( Small pack , interchangeable Prop/ secound rower types ) and we see the Bronco's go close to beating the Roosters.

The Tigers Rabbitohs game is the strongest argument for the point I'm trying to paint here , the Tigers mobile pack out played the biggest forward pack in the comp because of the way the new rules change the fifth tackle kicks to keeping the ball in play......end to end scramble.......

It's early days , too early to judge how permanent the new rules effect will determine what player prototype survives.

But things are leaning towards change....the same change that saw the ten meter rule make the George Roses of the comp a rarity......there was a time every team had a George rose , Marty Bella , Steve Roach , Sam Backo.

Seven tackles is the type of evolution that a team like the Warriors  " The greatest Rugby league Circus you have ever seen " according to Vossy....will thrive under.

The dragons with their tiny lean mobile forwards are winning the NRL under the new rules while others have to make an adjustment.

Edited by mt smart, 01 April 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#228 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Just seen the interesting article on Boots 'n' all tonight about Jordan Baldwinson's start to his career playing for the NZ Warriors 20's (not reserve grade as Eddie Hemmings kept saying). It sounds like he is going well and is enjoying life out there.

Surprisingly, there was no mention of Mason Tonks, Baldwinson's Leeds Academy team mate, not even by his old coach Barrie McDermott sat in the studio. I know Tonks appeared in the first Holden Cup game of the year, but he seems to have dropped off the radar since then.

Can any of our Kiwi friends update us. Is he injured? Was he dropped by Stacey Jones?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#229 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just seen the interesting article on Boots 'n' all tonight about Jordan Baldwinson's start to his career playing for the NZ Warriors 20's (not reserve grade as Eddie Hemmings kept saying). It sounds like he is going well and is enjoying life out there.

Surprisingly, there was no mention of Mason Tonks, Baldwinson's Leeds Academy team mate, not even by his old coach Barrie McDermott sat in the studio. I know Tonks appeared in the first Holden Cup game of the year, but he seems to have dropped off the radar since then.

Can any of our Kiwi friends update us. Is he injured? Was he dropped by Stacey Jones?

Saw that on Boots n All and thought it odd how Tonks was never mentioned. However, Mason Tonks has actually been named in the starting line up for the Holden Cup game against Cronulla on Saturday. Baldwinson is on the bench. From what I can gather looking at one of the Kiwi forums, the Warriors tend to rotate the players at that level. 

http://www.warriors....ree_on_end.html

Edited by thirteenthman, 02 April 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#230 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for that thirteenthman. Good to see Tonks in the side this weekend.

Maybe he was just a bit camera shy!

Edited by Railway End, 03 April 2014 - 10:03 AM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

#231 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Mason Tonks had been struggling ( past tense obviously as he is in for this weekends game ).

Baldwinson found it pretty tough going as well initially but he is coming along nicely now ( I watched his game V the Tigers last week , he had a high work rate ) he needs to keep the high output going to make a point of difference between him and some of the Really Big u20's Forwards.

I'm pretty sure Sam Tomkins was wrong when he said Jordan had played in every game , he and Tonks were picked in round one....the team got thumped and they were both dropped.

The following week the Team got thumped again and Baldwinson was picked to travel to North Queensland where they routed the Cowboys U20's side.

A Narrow win to the Warriors U20's team over the Tigers last week has them tracking in the same way as the Top side ( two wins from four games ). 

Looking forward to seeing how Mason Tonks goes. There is a lot of pressure to make that highly successful U20's side ( the comps been running four years , the Warriors won the first two years in a row , made the Grand final last year...have been in the top four for the entire four years).

They have the best record in the NRL. There are clubs lining up to snap some of those players off the Warriors ( one prop may have signed with Newcastle ).

The Leeds boys have come at an ideal time , half of the Under twenties team are playing in the Next level up ( the NSW cup ) so there is spaces for them to hold onto tot their Jerseys.

Edited by mt smart, 03 April 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#232 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Cheers my smart. It's good to see both lads getting game time.

To be honest I thought both might struggle to establish themselves over there as one thing the Warriors are never short of at any level is back rowers. I hope both can make a good fist of their opportunity. Whatever happens, playing in the Holden Cup can only improve them as players.

#233 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Well in todays game Sam Tomkins well out played Billy Slater and won man of the match.

The first of many times lets hope!

He really has started to settle in now the last few games!

#234 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Well in todays game Sam Tomkins well out played Billy Slater and won man of the match.

Impossible!

How can that be so when he's English?

People called Romans they go the house

#235 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's only a matter of time until the likes of Slater and Smith start declining. They're in their thirties now and can't play like supermen forever. Hopefully it will be during the Four Nations!

#236 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

It's only a matter of time until the likes of Slater and Smith start declining. They're in their thirties now and can't play like supermen forever. Hopefully it will be during the Four Nations!

Slater definitely is already declining. There are at least 3 Aussie full backs I'd pick ahead of him, although Sheens seems certain to continue to keep picking Billy for the time being.

#237 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Match report here - note also "28, 716 people – the biggest ever NRL crowd at AAMI Park"  :)

Edited by Futtocks, 25 April 2014 - 12:32 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#238 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hang on Sam Tomkins has been the Warriors best player in the last 3 games? He's English and too small to hack it in the NRL for goodness sake.

#239 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

two great games today. G Burgess and Tomkins, dominating the NRL again.

#240 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Tomkins best game in the NRL. He was excellent.

Could be interesting in the Four Nations this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users