Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#241 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hang on Sam Tomkins has been the Warriors best player in the last 3 games? He's English and too small to hack it in the NRL for goodness sake.

And he was produced by the largely inferior Super League!

#242 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

Tomkins clicking into top gear,graham superb last week,Sam and George Burgess outstanding against the Broncos,Widdop and Cooper going well at St George,not bad considering us Poms can't play the game.

#243 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

I didn't think Tomkins was particularly sparkling yesterday and I certainly wouldn't have given him MOM over Shaun Johnson.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#244 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

I didn't think Tomkins was particularly sparkling yesterday and I certainly wouldn't have given him MOM over Shaun Johnson.

That makes two of us.

Possibly his best game so far with ball in hand and his short kicking game was good as well. He still looked suspect under the high ball and I thought he was out of position for at least 2 of the Storm tries.

Not having a go at Sam, I'm a big fan and it's good to see him improving each week, but I was very surprised he was given MOM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#245 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

He looked safer under the high ball than Australia's no 1 billy slater and the fact he was doing a lot of the organising/kicking duties frees up Johnson,as for his positioning being responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries,you must have watched another game.

#246 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

That makes two of us.

Possibly his best game so far with ball in hand and his short kicking game was good as well. He still looked suspect under the high ball and I thought he was out of position for at least 2 of the Storm tries.

Not having a go at Sam, I'm a big fan and it's good to see him improving each week, but I was very surprised he was given MOM.

The doubts about Tomkins have never been about the quality of his attacking work. It is world class. His Achilles heel is his defence especially under the high ball.

#247 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

He looked safer under the high ball than Australia's no 1 billy slater and the fact he was doing a lot of the organising/kicking duties frees up Johnson,as for his positioning being responsible for at least 3 Melbourne tries,you must have watched another game.

Not much to beat in terms of looking better than Slater under the high ball. Billy has been poor this year, he doesn't look fully fit to me. His form doesn't warrant selection for either Australia or Quuensland but no doubt he will be picked.

For the Proctor try Tomkins was involved in the proceeding tackle on the line. When the ball was played he tried to rush out to the first receiver instead of sweeping around the back to assist Townend who was left with a one on one tackle. He is often left flat footed in defence and it appeared he had not read the play well for Storms second try in the corner, he was nowhere to be seen.

I agree the combination with Johnson looks to be developing well. McFadden appears to want Tomkins to operate more at first and second man than Elliott did and hence this is taking a lot of the pressure off Johnson's shoulders.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#248 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

I had no problem with Sam getting MOM over Shaun.

They were close in their overall contribution in that game....Shauns footwork and passing set up the offensive winning of the game .....but on the otherside of the coin when Sam deliberately Targeted Bill with an in goal kick to the corner which he chased up and Rolled Bill out....that was a confidence hit at the heart of his opposite.

There was a in goal kick that Sam put on in the same half that got the Warriors another repeat set....that stuff certainly freed up Shaun to cut holes in the Storm Line.

Sams been building for a few weeks now. he's also playing behind a Warriors team that looks ready to make its yearly run at the comp.

I hope that's the case...when the Warriors fire like that the likes of Sam Tomkins can play off that very physical ad lib Warrior style of confidence play and take apart any team in the NRL.

#249 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

No spoilers

Canberra played the Warriors Ive just gotten home from the park ( helps living next door to Eden Park )

Sam Tomkins went Nuclear tonight......it matters not the result....he destroyed his opposite......prodigy Anthony Milford.

That places Sam well outside League freaks order

Here's my order :

Hayne.....defeated Tomkins

Tomkins  defeated Tedessco

Tomkins  defeated Dugan

Tomkins  defeated Slater

Tomkins  defeated Milford.

Sam gets a rematch with Hayne this year

He gets a run at G.I too

At this rate he is in line to take a spot from either Hayne or G.I or both

Kevin Locke played hooker for the first time in his life tonight......

He was excellent considering it's his first game of the NRL season and his first ever game at dummy half.

Edited by mt smart, 10 May 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#250 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think saying Tomkins defeated Dugan is a bit far I think they were evenly matched. Both played very well over the two games.

Tomkins today was very very good today. His ball handling and passing game is the best of any full back by some distance IMO. The passes he did for a few of the Warriors tries Hurrell on the right and I think Vatuvei finished two off on the left from Tomkins brilliance although I may be wrong.

He's been on top form these last 4 games. I think he is finally starting to look comfortable. I think for the first 5 games he was very good in attack but shaky in other aspects in the game. Now I'd say he is very good in attack but comfortable in other aspects of the game.

Hopefully his form continues.

#251 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

He's got the best tip on I've seen.

I don't think Raiders getting raped is a spoiler. Seriously, if it is then the game is spoilt after 8 mins anyway. Stupid decision to read this thread, you deserve it.

We were terrible today, again. Made it easy for the Warriors whole game.

Milford has a long, long way to go before he's Tomkins level or other top fullbacks.

#252 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think saying Tomkins defeated Dugan is a bit far I think they were evenly matched. Both played very well over the two games.

Tomkins today was very very good today. His ball handling and passing game is the best of any full back by some distance IMO. The passes he did for a few of the Warriors tries Hurrell on the right and I think Vatuvei finished two off on the left from Tomkins brilliance although I may be wrong.

He's been on top form these last 4 games. I think he is finally starting to look comfortable. I think for the first 5 games he was very good in attack but shaky in other aspects in the game. Now I'd say he is very good in attack but comfortable in other aspects of the game.

Dugan was very good Agreed that secound game V the Dragons ( Dugan was out injured in the first game ) I would have given a a close points decision to Dugan till Tomkins scored a one on one try beating Dugan with a step.

My post was partly tongue in Cheek.....certainly Sams competing against the Biggest pool of talented Fullbacks in the NRL's  history......It's a long list of quality names......he still has to get his own back V Hayne.....play Barba  and the formidable challenge that is Greg Inglis....then there are veteran Champions Like Miniciello the list goes on.

Giving Tomkins a player like Hurrell is dynamite.....the Warriors have been dreadful this year.....now that they have changed coaches ( McFadden really is changing the core problems at the Warriors at the source ) Sam's decision to play with them and not some of the other teams will be making sense to him.

Tomkins suits their style of play..

Had Manu butter fingers Vatupies caught two of Sams passes.......Tomkins would have ended that game on something like Six try assists  , one Try,

Edited by mt smart, 10 May 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#253 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

He's got the best tip on I've seen.

I don't think Raiders getting raped is a spoiler. Seriously, if it is then the game is spoilt after 8 mins anyway. Stupid decision to read this thread, you deserve it.

We were terrible today, again. Made it easy for the Warriors whole game.

Milford has a long, long way to go before he's Tomkins level or other top fullbacks.

Tough game to watch for Canberra fans CGD.

I felt sorry for Bill Tupou tonight.....I really did.....he looks like he is well out of his depth in the NRL. I couldn't understand Canberra signing Bill....they just gave the Warriors a known game plan ( target Bill ) to use every  time he plays against them.

There was a risk that the Warriors would come out flat after a bye ( they always do )  but having the players mums flown in from all over the place was a smart way to tap into their psychie....McFadden is doing a remarkable job.

Edited by mt smart, 10 May 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#254 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

He might have acclimatised to NRL quicker, if the Warriors hadn't been playing so badly in those early rounds. We'll never know now, but I'm looking forward to more and more from him as the season progresses.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#255 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

Jordan Baldwinson scored his first try for the NZ Warriors yesterday in the u/20's.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#256 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Jordan Baldwinson scored his first try for the NZ Warriors yesterday in the u/20's.

I was pleased for him, he and Mason Tonks have struggled to make that side.

Jordan doesn't get the ball much from his team mates...he's always looking to work off the ball.

#257 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

I say it often, but ut's been at least 2 weeks, so... The pity is that the NRL are not seeing the full early era Sam repertoire. For a few years he was so fast he would regularly run the length and leave trails of defenders behind him. I fear that explosiveness has gone. Looking good, though, with a lot more to come, as he adjusts to the players around him. Give him another 10 games and then the Warriors runners will be hitting gaps all day every day.

#258 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Dont know how Ricky Stuart keeps getting jobs as he is useless! Canberra have had over 100 points put past them in 2 weeks. Tomkins and the warriors played well but the Raiders gifted them the game. Widdop needs a decent halfback to take the pressure of him. I am not sure benji will do that as Benji likes to be boss and play unstructured while Gaz Widdop is more structured player. 

#259 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Slightly ? off thread the Guardian website has a table with the latest Sats on the popularity of the 4 football codes in Australia.

The TV viewing figures are the most heartening from a League perspective and the participation figures for Association Football the most surprising or may be not ?

The viewing figures surely tell us ,when it comes to entertainment the winner is The Greatest game.

Edited by Trojan horse, 11 May 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#260 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

http://www.theguardi...tive-statistics

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users