Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#21 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Money?

Maybe.

Also, I'm just watching it back again, and Hayne's response to the ref when told about the 8 point try is like that of a 4 year old child.

Maybe he is playing for the Eels because the other teams in the league prefer grown ups?

#22 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Maybe.

Also, I'm just watching it back again, and Hayne's response to the ref when told about the 8 point try is like that of a 4 year old child.

Maybe he is playing for the Eels because the other teams in the league prefer grown ups?

Big fish in a little pond and all that, does he have a history of whining at refs?

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Widdop was excellent for the Saints, assists for 4 of their 7 tries and kicked 8 from 8 some of which from wide out. 

I hope McBanana was watching. 

#24 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Warriors had no edge defence,especially there right side,misreads,falling off tackles.tomkins missed 1 bomb under pressure from 2 eels and slipped for there first try,but had 2 try assists,hardly a nightmare debut and a lot better than his replacement at Wigan,NRL legend Bowen had.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,703 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Maybe.

yeah, i thought similar. Complete lack of respect. Id have asked him to go away and send his vice captain if he was incapable of behaving like an adult. Absolute tool.

#26 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Big fish in a little pond and all that, does he have a history of whining at refs?

Don't all Australians?

#27 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Really? If Hayne is so good, why is he playing for the worst team in Australia?

Your response to somebody saying Hayne was outplaying Tomkins is "why is he playing for the worst team in Australia"? :laugh:

I'll put that down to rush of blood.

#28 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Your response to somebody saying Hayne was outplaying Tomkins is "why is he playing for the worst team in Australia"? :laugh:

You can put it down to whatever you like.

I presume we can also put down you dismissing Tomkins after one game to a bout of Cyclops Syndrome?

Hayne was OK, Tomkins did some good things, and some poor things, albeit behind a well beaten pack.

Let's give the lad a chance before we write him off. If I recall correctly, Hayne has had some absolute shockers over the years.

#29 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

#30 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

As expected for me Tomkins is a good player and will do OK in the NRL. But he is not the superstar some on here think. 

#31 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

As expected for me Tomkins is a good player and will do OK in the NRL. But he is not the superstar some on here think. 

Then SL has no superstars. I sometimes wonder why anyone watches RL.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

Its off thread but..

Bowen looks like he may have moved to England just for the money and contract length, early days and he may well come good.

He looks out of condition and not that interested.

You have to be careful paying over the odds for a 32 year old Fullback that has had a history of knee problems and although its not always the case its often the case that Aboriginal players often struggle playing too far away from their local community.
England is a long way from Cairns.

Edited by boxhead, 09 March 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#33 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I presume we can also put down you dismissing Tomkins after one game to a bout of Cyclops Syndrome?

Nice one, when did I do that?

#34 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I am sure that we could all have a detailed discussion about our memories of the first couple of games of Adrian Morley, Jonathan Davies, Kevin Ward, Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess et al.

What's that?? No, I can't remember them either.

Edited by Scubby, 09 March 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#35 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I hope McBanana was watching.

Why? He'd still only play on the bench or at centre anyway.

#36 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Nice one, when did I do that?

Your overall commentary on his performance has been super negative, and you know that.

Give the lad a chance, just like I presume you have over the years with Hayne, Slater, etc, etc, etc.

#37 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Why? He'd still only play on the bench or at centre anyway.

Since when has a halfback playing outstanding rugby for his club been a reason to get picked for england

#38 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Widdop also showed how he can dominate a game. He needs to be given his head for England and we should be building a team around him at 6.

#39 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Widdop also showed how he can dominate a game. He needs to be given his head for England and we should be building a team around him at 6.

Agreed. I have watched every televised game this weekend, and Widdop's performance was the best of all the stand-offs on show.

#40 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Since when has a halfback playing outstanding rugby for his club been a reason to get picked for england

Since mal Reilly stopped being coach of GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users