"Pom" watch

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#41 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Widdop also showed how he can dominate a game. He needs to be given his head for England and we should be building a team around him at 6.

Stop talking sense but we're talking about McNamara here, during the world cup the Aussies couldn't believe that he didn't start at 6 for England. If he hadn't chosen to represent England he'd be a shoe in for origin this year or even last year.

#42 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Stop talking sense but we're talking about McNamara here, during the world cup the Aussies couldn't believe that he didn't start at 6 for England. If he hadn't chosen to represent England he'd be a shoe in for origin this year or even last year.

If Widdop can keep up the kind of form he showed earlier today, then hopefully we have seen the last of the likes of Sinfield and Chase at Stand Off.

If the England coach can't see how good that kid was today, then all hope is lost. Therefore I look forward to another 5 years of old men and headless chickens at SO.

#43 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I enjoy watching players like Myler, Burrow, Chase etc. but they will never ever be able to control a game. International football is about composure. It's about knowing when to run and when to pass. It's about knowing when to chance and when to play percentages. It is about the kick being as important as the pass.

Craig Bellamy is no fool and St George have made Widdop the most expensive signing on their roster.

Edited by Scubby, 09 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#44 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

If Widdop can keep up the kind of form he showed earlier today, then hopefully we have seen the last of the likes of Sinfield and Chase at Stand Off.

If the England coach can't see how good that kid was today, then all hope is lost. Therefore I look forward to another 5 years of old men and headless chickens at SO.

I'd rather have widdop on one leg than chase and sinfield.

#45 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Maybe.

Also, I'm just watching it back again, and Hayne's response to the ref when told about the 8 point try is like that of a 4 year old child.

Maybe he is playing for the Eels because the other teams in the league prefer grown ups?

Yeah, I'm sure nobody in the NRL wants one of the best fullbacks in the world because of the manner in which he speaks to referees...

#46 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

That's what I don't understand. Only recently McBanana was trying to find as many NRL Aussies as possible to play for England, surely he would want an English 6 playing well in the NRL. 

#47 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Your overall commentary on his performance has been super negative, and you know that.

Give the lad a chance, just like I presume you have over the years with Hayne, Slater, etc, etc, etc.

What are you smoking and can I have some please?

#48 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

In whose eyes is Matty Bowen a world class superstar? Nobody in the NRL rated him enough to give him a decent contract - that speaks volumes.

I am sure that we could all have a detailed discussion about our memories of the first couple of games of Adrian Morley, Jonathan Davies, Kevin Ward, Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess et al.

What's that?? No, I can't remember them either.

Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess, Sam Burgess etc all had strong/stand-out debuts.

I remember them.

#49 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Then SL has no superstars. I sometimes wonder why anyone watches RL.

SL has Superstars like Ryan Hall for example that would go very well in the NRL. But SL is a inferior comp standard wise. That doesnt make it a comp nobody wants to watch and some games are more exciting to watch than NRL. It doesnt mean that there are no players that would go well in the NRL neither SL, like the Championship below it, has a lot to offer. Even though the standards of SL are alot poorer than the NRL it does offer things that the NRL doesnt and you will often see alot more open rugby played than in the NRL: 

#50 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

How is the world class NRL superstar Matty Bowen getting on in SL? Dropped in favour of a teenager last week....

When has Bowen been classed World Class? He never made the Australian team and rarely the Queensland team. He WAS a fine attacking player, but sadly the injuries have caught up and he is not the same played he was 3 or 4 years ago. Its probably why the Cowboys didnt offer him a contract and why nobody else from the NRL stepped in. There a number of good Fullbacks in the NRL.

#51 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

In whose eyes is Matty Bowen a world class superstar? Nobody in the NRL rated him enough to give him a decent contract - that speaks volumes.

Gareth Ellis, James Graham, George Burgess, Sam Burgess etc all had strong/stand-out debuts.

I remember them.

Okay I'll take your word for that. Bit different taking 15 one-out hit ups and making a bunch of solid tackles than trying to control a side you've never played with, getting peppered with high balls and asked to create magic in a well-beaten side. The guy must have been nervous and would have been targeted by a Parra side with a massive lead-in time to this game. My prediction is that ST will be killing it in the NRL within 3 months.

#52 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

When has Bowen been classed World Class? He never made the Australian team and rarely the Queensland team. He WAS a fine attacking player, but sadly the injuries have caught up and he is not the same played he was 3 or 4 years ago. Its probably why the Cowboys didnt offer him a contract and why nobody else from the NRL stepped in. There a number of good Fullbacks in the NRL.

The production line that rolls out these fullbacks in the NRL is pretty scary, how good is Ben Barba and Anthony Milford.

#53 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Agreed. I have watched every televised game this weekend, and Widdop's performance was the best of all the stand-offs on show.

Really you must have missed Thurston and the Cowboys then. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 09 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#54 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

His try was absolute class. He is still at the very top of his game.

#55 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

:lol:

Where have CGD and I said we want Tomkins to fail? I want him to succeed down here. I watched the game tonight just to see how well he went on.

I was passing comment on what I was watching in front of me. Hayne massively outplayed Tomkins.
Since when does that mean I don't want him to play well though?

As for the stupid comment about why he plays for the worst team in the NRL, over here it's different. Parra would make our 8 in SL. Teams aren't far apart, although Parra have been poor the last few years.

By that argument though you could say that JT isn't the best 6 in the world because he plays for the Cowboys who haven't really been anywhere for years.

You really underestimate the strength over here.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#56 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Didn't get this far before posting. Great minds hey :)

#57 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Well Simmo got on the ultra defensive for no reason :lol:

Look, I live in Australia but am English and want to see English players succeed down here. I think Tomkins will go well too. All CGD and I did was pass comment on tonight's game. After all, isn't this thread called pom watch?

The sooner English people accept that the NRL is vastly superior to the Super League the quicker we will catch up. That's not to say our top teams aren't of a decent standard though. Leeds-Hudds on Friday was as good as anything in the NRL this weekend, both entertainment and quality wise.

#58 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Tomkins wasn't great but he wasn't poor either. He was playing in a pretty poor side, especially the pack who were pretty woeful to be honest. He made 2 errors but then again he set up 2 tries so not that bad a day at the office. He's obviously going to scrutinised much more than any player due to the hype about him in SL.

Tomkins will probably take 10ish games to adjust. He's played 2 games against NRL opposition one he was absolute quality the other he was average.

On other note Widdop was world class.

#59 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Okay I'll take your word for that. Bit different taking 15 one-out hit ups and making a bunch of solid tackles than trying to control a side you've never played with, getting peppered with high balls and asked to create magic in a well-beaten side. The guy must have been nervous and would have been targeted by a Parra side with a massive lead-in time to this game. My prediction is that ST will be killing it in the NRL within 3 months.

Hopefully. He looked potent in the trial against the Broncos and still managed to play a role in two or the Warriors tries against the Eels. Warriors were ###### all round, for the most part. 

#60 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

:lol:

Where have CGD and I said we want Tomkins to fail? I want him to succeed down here. I watched the game tonight just to see how well he went on.

I was passing comment on what I was watching in front of me. Hayne massively outplayed Tomkins.
Since when does that mean I don't want him to play well though?

As for the stupid comment about why he plays for the worst team in the NRL, over here it's different. Parra would make our 8 in SL. Teams aren't far apart, although Parra have been poor the last few years.

By that argument though you could say that JT isn't the best 6 in the world because he plays for the Cowboys who haven't really been anywhere for years.

You really underestimate the strength over here.

No, I don't. I know it is a good comp, but generally it is not half as good as people like you make it out to be.

As I said, I have watched every game that Premier Sports has shown this weekend, and some of it has been absolutely dire.

It's not my fault that people like you can't look at it objectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users