Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Town

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

0 - 6 to Town half time. Both sides evenly matched the difference being Tierney between the two.

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Barrow can't complete a set without dropping the ball. Costing us dearly.

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Best team won.
How dumb were we today ? A drop goal attempt and then when we had 6 to go another drop attempt.
I think Murray may be trouble the way he spoke to the ref in front of the match commissioner too.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

6 - 8 FT Workington scored with a penalty with the last kick of the game.

Was a very good game to watch and thoroughly enjoyable. How we didn't win the game I really don't know. That was a much worse Workington side we have faced in previous seasons. Considering we made 10 - 15 unforced handling errors we did quite quite well to restrict them to 1 try. They had two standout players in 30 and 32 but apart from that they didn't have much about them.

Our lack of experience throughout the side shows up quite a lot. Towards the end of the game we just didn't have any composure. Why Speakman went for a crossfield kick rather than a drop goal with no pressure really does baffle me. We like Workington do not have much threat in attack. With most sides figuring out Harrison and no Haggerty on the right we lack players who can break a tackle and make a break.

Bullock was exceptional today. Our best forward by some distance IMO. Hope Briscoe is okay but by the looks of his injury he will be out for a while. Mort was very good also and his experience at this level shows compared to his team mates. He is much more calmer than other players.

Was a hard defeat to take but I think as the team gets more experience we will turn those sort of games into wins. Hopefully it doesn't comes to late towards the end of the season. Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell.

#5 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Goes back to 0 on their 20 meter line with 2 minutes to go so Speakman attempts a rushed drop goal. What a ######.

Anyone know why the try near the end was disallowed?

#6 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Far too many knock ons and mistake, had nothing to offer going forward. Credit to our defence defending 4 straight sets on our line. Thought harrisons work rate was unreal today

#7 havenandproud

havenandproud
  • Whitehaven
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

6 - 8 FT Workington scored with a penalty with the last kick of the game.

Was a very good game to watch and thoroughly enjoyable. How we didn't win the game I really don't know. That was a much worse Workington side we have faced in previous seasons. Considering we made 10 - 15 unforced handling errors we did quite quite well to restrict them to 1 try. They had two standout players in 30 and 32 but apart from that they didn't have much about them.

Our lack of experience throughout the side shows up quite a lot. Towards the end of the game we just didn't have any composure. Why Speakman went for a crossfield kick rather than a drop goal with no pressure really does baffle me. We like Workington do not have much threat in attack. With most sides figuring out Harrison and no Haggerty on the right we lack players who can break a tackle and make a break.

Bullock was exceptional today. Our best forward by some distance IMO. Hope Briscoe is okay but by the looks of his injury he will be out for a while. Mort was very good also and his experience at this level shows compared to his team mates. He is much more calmer than other players.

Was a hard defeat to take but I think as the team gets more experience we will turn those sort of games into wins. Hopefully it doesn't comes to late towards the end of the season. Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell.

"Haven winning at Dewsbury was a nightmare result aswell".

not for me it wasnt get in  ;)

haven and proud till i die

#8 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Well we have a lot to learn don't we ! starting with a lesson in how too complete our sets which we failed to do on several occasions today just too many unforced errors , we also gave away stupid penalties ! I thought his game was there for the taking as town weren't anything special we just made it easier for them

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Goes back to 0 on their 20 meter line with 2 minutes to go so Speakman attempts a rushed drop goal. What a ######.

Anyone know why the try near the end was disallowed?

Forward pass apparently.

#10 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Well played barrow. It was a good derby that could have gone either way. Great effort by both teams.

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I heard both Murray and Vivers  interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

As far as the last minute penalty goal is concerned I think that sometimes a referee should use a bit of common sense. I think the rip out was only marginal and if he hadn't given a penalty the result would have been a draw. I think both Raiders and Town fans would have been happy and it would have been a fair result.

On the question of the second drop kick attempt wasn't it Campbell rather than Speakman. If he hadn't attempted it the penalty would not have arise and it would have been a draw. That missed point could be crucial at the end of the season.

Posted Image

#12 havenandproud

havenandproud
  • Whitehaven
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

by the sounds of it on the radio jambos were very lucky to get any points let alone all 3 think they,ll be found out against stiffer opposition.

haven and proud till i die

#13 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I heard both Murray and Vivers interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

As far as the last minute penalty goal is concerned I think that sometimes a referee should use a bit of common sense. I think the rip out was only marginal and if he hadn't given a penalty the result would have been a draw. I think both Raiders and Town fans would have been happy and it would have been a fair result.

On the question of the second drop kick attempt wasn't it Campbell rather than Speakman. If he hadn't attempted it the penalty would not have arise and it would have been a draw. That missed point could be crucial at the end of the season.

I agree with you about vievers sounded very arrogant and like he didn't care about being interviewed.
The second dg attempt was Speakman,and I can only assume that he did hear back to six so rushed it.

Was it Joe bullock the big lad? He was class, best player on the pitch for me followed by harrison and dawson.

We seem to be a bit clueless in attack and we lack a bit of flair.

Thought our defence was fairly good all in all.

It was our attack that let us down today.

#14 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

I heard both Murray and Vivers interviews on RC and felt Murrays interview was far more gracious than Vivers. I wasn't impressed with Vivers comments at all.

a rip out is a rip out I'm afraid. And it's not common sense it's the rules. And to not give it would have robbed town of a penalty that HAD to be given. Think there's a few sour grapes on here, saying town aren't any good it's just barrow were poor on the day. We get it against every team we beat. I'll be the 1st to admit we're not as good of a side as previous 2 seasons, but we've just got a new coach, new link up and from all reports new signings on the way. I know which side I would rather be at this moment in time.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#15 steve75

steve75
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

a rip out is a rip out I'm afraid. And it's not common sense it's the rules. And to not give it would have robbed town of a penalty that HAD to be given. Think there's a few sour grapes on here, saying town aren't any good it's just barrow were poor on the day. We get it against every team we beat. I'll be the 1st to admit we're not as good of a side as previous 2 seasons, but we've just got a new coach, new link up and from all reports new signings on the way. I know which side I would rather be at this moment in time.

It wasn't the referee that gave it - it was the touch judge on the popular side, the referee appeared to be allowing play on!

Posted Image

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

It wasn't the referee that gave it - it was the touch judge on the popular side, the referee appeared to be allowing play on!

it was a still a penalty. The ref can't just ignore a call to make it a fair result

#17 steve75

steve75
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

it was a still a penalty. The ref can't just ignore a call to make it a fair result

I know that, but he can overrule the touch judge if he believes he is making an incorrect call. He must have had some doubt in his mind don't you think? So if he wasn't going to give it what suddenly makes him wrong and the touch judge correct?

Posted Image

#18 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

I know that, but he can overrule the touch judge if he believes he is making an incorrect call. He must have had some doubt in his mind don't you think? So if he wasn't going to give it what suddenly makes him wrong and the touch judge correct?

i would say the touch judge had a better view. It was very stupid of the barrow player to give him a decision to make.

Edited by wonky, 09 March 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#19 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

i would say the touch judge had a better view. It was very stupid of the barrow player to give him a decision to make.

Were you there? 

Agree about the Barrow player giving him a decision to make (if he did rip it)

#20 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Haven and proud don't make my laugh
4 away there today, what an embarrassment
1500 true Cumbrian rugby fans at today's derby
quote name="havenandproud" post="2895921" timestamp="1394387418"]

by the sounds of it on the radio jambos were very lucky to get any points let alone all 3 think they,ll be found out against stiffer opposition.[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users