Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham 20 Stags 20

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Oldham 20 Stags 20

Edited by oldham13, 09 March 2014 - 07:32 PM.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#2 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Report to follow

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#3 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

Lack Lustre performance,in a lack lustre atmosphere. To much one man rugby.

On that performance it doesn't bode well for the season but hopefully we can only improve?

Edited by higgy, 10 March 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#4 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

The defence was solid in the first half, and the team clearly attempted some pre- planned training moves but ill timed passes resulted in forward passes.

I would be interested to see the penalty count?, again ill discipline was against us in critical areas of the meadow.

The team seemed to be rushing and panicky near to the opposition try line. The team drifted away from the game plan, Lee Spencer said at times it was made up rugby. Scott Naylor didn't look happy at the conclusion of the match, glad I am it is not me going into training this week.

We started very poorly last season with two defeats at home to Dale and Oxford but the quality of competition is going to be very strong this season, Hunslet, York, London, and Gateshead will provide very difficult matches both home and away, with Gloucester and Hemel looking to be strong at home. No easy matches again this season.

The draw, in my opinion resulted when we ran the ball on the last tackle in our own half, the Stags got the ball in Oldham's half with a minute to go, the resulting attacking play culminated with a score in the corner, thankfully they missed the conversion. that was a poor decision and it cost us the match.

On the positive side it was the second match of the season and we are unbeaten, We have a couple of players out with injuries.

Don't Dream It, Be It

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#5 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Even in the second half we got close enough to their line, that we should have posted scores. But players were to upright in their approach, when they should have been looking to find the ground to go over. The previously mentioned incident where we got caught with the ball on the last on the half way, cost us a win. A simple kick and chase would have won us the game, they had not troubled our defencive patterns all game except for kicks when close to our line and I doubt they would have managed to come out of their own half and score.

#6 pandasdad

pandasdad
  • Coach
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

Sadly, I think the lads played some dumb rugby, particularly in the second half. I felt that they needed to have posted more than 16 in the first and opportunities went begging. In the second half they had plenty of good field position which they squandered by not spreading the ball to the flanks. On at least 3 occasions, spreading the ball with a couple of sinkers would have left the line wide open, but they persisted on tackle, pass, drive, up the middle.

Also, Adam Files is far more dangerous to the opposition from hooker than he is from loose forward.

Finally, whoever made the decision, if indeed anybody did, to run the ball on the last, with a minute to go, should go back to the 20s for some rehabilitation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users