Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Start of another Footy Season.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

This Friday see's the start of the AFL season.
Now, I know that among mant RL fans in Oz, this is seen as a bigger threat to rugby league than the real darkside. However, there are some who follow both codes. Are there any Aussie Rules fans in this forum and if so, who do you rate to make the eight (finals) who are your bets for the top four, who will feature in the grand final, who will win the premiership?

The contenders:

Adelaide Crows
Brisbane Lions
Carlton Blues
Collingwood Magpies
Essendon Bombers
Fremantle Dockers
Geelong Cats
Gold Coast Suns
GWS Giants
Hawthorn Hwaks
Melbourne Demons
North Melbourne Kangaroos
Port Adelaide Power
Richmond Tigers
St. Kilda Saints
Sydney Swans
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#2 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

I've watched it once or twice. Although not for long. I've tried, I really have. I'm sure I must be missing something.

LUNEW.jpg

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'm going for the West Coast Eagles, only because I bought a WCE singlet when I was over there.

edit: Just read the whole of your post - sorry haven't a clue. :(

I have watched the game, and it does look interesting, but I've never taken the time to really understand it (along with Gaelic and American football codes).

When my brother moved to Perth he did ask a few of the lads he works with to familiarise him with the game - he said it was the only way to be included in the post-weekend conversations - and my nephew played a bit at school.

Keep us up to date as the season progresses.

Edited by Methven Hornet, 12 March 2014 - 09:29 PM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Been a Geelong fan since long before we were decent.

I'm backing us for a top 5 finish.  I don't really know enough to say who'll take the title.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'm going for the West Coast Eagles, only because I bought a WCE singlet when I was over there.

edit: Just read the whole of your post - sorry haven't a clue. :(

I have watched the game, and it does look interesting, but I've never taken the time to really understand it (along with Gaelic and American football codes).

When my brother moved to Perth he did ask a few of the lads he works with to familiarise him with the game - he said it was the only way to be included in the post-weekend conversations - and my nephew played a bit at school.

Keep us up to date as the season progresses.

It's rather a simple game to understand. How do you think I manage to follow it? :)

My prediction for top eight - those teams that will play in The Finals is:

Hawthorn

Sydney

Fremantle

Geelong

Richmond

West Coast

Adelaide

Port Adelaide

Hawthorn to win the premiership

To win the wooden spoon?

St Kilda

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

To win the wooden spoon?

St Kilda

Are they really worse than GWS?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Are they really worse than GWS?

The way The Saints are going - reliance on too many players who might be past their best - I could see The Giants finishing above them.

#8 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

Cant get in to it at all. tried playing it and watching it and it just lacks something for me. Way too much kicking for my liking, though I can appreciate the skills 

#9 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Cant get in to it at all. tried playing it and watching it and it just lacks something for me. Way too much kicking for my liking, though I can appreciate the skills 

Each to their own.

Out of interest. where did you try playing it?

#10 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Munich Kangaroos basically all Aussies and Irish with the odd native, think they played against Frankfurt, Berlin and Hamburg. They had to play in the middle of parks as obviously no other sportsfield would do. People would walk through not realizing and they used drainpipes as goals. I think the guys used to play Gaelic football some weeks and Aussie rules other weeks. Aussie Rules in Europe is a bit like Rugby League with its development- Some nations have one team others have 3 or 4. The difference is more natives seem to be playing League while from what I saw and hear, Aussie Rules is still played mainly by Aussies and Irish though think there is a Euro Nations Comp

#11 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Munich Kangaroos basically all Aussies and Irish with the odd native, think they played against Frankfurt, Berlin and Hamburg. They had to play in the middle of parks as obviously no other sportsfield would do. People would walk through not realizing and they used drainpipes as goals. I think the guys used to play Gaelic football some weeks and Aussie rules other weeks. Aussie Rules in Europe is a bit like Rugby League with its development- Some nations have one team others have 3 or 4. The difference is more natives seem to be playing League while from what I saw and hear, Aussie Rules is still played mainly by Aussies and Irish though think there is a Euro Nations Comp

Thanks. I know what Aussie Rules in Europe is about. I was partially involved discussions regarding the formation of BARFL. I tried to form a Pennine based team.

Edited by Grollo, 13 March 2014 - 05:42 PM.