Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Oh dear. We weren't competitive for the first sixty minutes. So many dropped passes and penalties left us constantly chasing the game. A really impressive final quarter nearly saw us pinch it but in all honesty I think that would've been unfair to the Cru.
Some good perfomances from Burke Penny Menzies Dwyer Brown (he worked tirelessly) combined with one or two less impressive no shows and some really dubious refereeing led to a slightly frustrating yet highly entertaining afternoon.

#2 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Went today mark why we get involved in the battle in the middle of the field when we can play good football out wide, I'd like to see stronger kicking even on the the 2nd or 3 rd for kev, rather than lose possession in our own quarter, thought that the guys dug deep in the second half and could of pinched the game, but a valuable one point, think we need to just smarten up a bit but there you go

#3 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Swinton well worth their bonus point. At 6 - 20 down they could have capitulated but Swinton played themselves back into the game and were pressing for a score at the end of the game. Tottlaay enjoyable game but shredded my nerves.

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Went today mark why we get involved in the battle in the middle of the field when we can play good football out wide, I'd like to see stronger kicking even on the the 2nd or 3 rd for kev, rather than lose possession in our own quarter, thought that the guys dug deep in the second half and could of pinched the game, but a valuable one point, think we need to just smarten up a bit but there you go

I think its clear we strayed from our game plan !

#5 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

Have to agree will everything above, Menzies particularly. Miss the flair of Richie. Watkins and Barlow are just being carried, what do they offer????
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

What do you think we can do to attract bigger crowds?.  The Crusaders turnout yesterday was excellent and are a credit to their club. I think we need to think of imaginative ideas to attract new fans and encourage ex-fans to return. How can we encourage more families to attend?

Edited by lancaster Lion, 11 March 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Cru fans exemplify how to behave. Good old fashioned fun mixed with loud support and a nice little snub to stupid rules by standing up.

#8 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Need more beef up front. Every team i've seen them play this season just seem to have more physicality. By the time Lions had got to grips with Crusader's big units they'd already shipped 12 points and were lucky not to have conceded more. They just can't get on the front foot quickly enough or for consistently long enough periods to boss the opposition. And when they do get a foot hold in the game they force it - knocking on, missed passes, etc

#9 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I thought Crusaders played some really good rugby today, running from deep and quick passing - if not for carelessness they could have scored another 18 points in the first half. I thought our right wing was weak in the first half but tightened up in the second, to be honest I do not see Kash Watkins as a centre - he is for me second rower. I agree with previous comments it took our pack time to dominate - which they did in the last 15 or so mins of each half - maybe down to Crusaders tiring. Cannot complain about effort - every player was out on their feet at the final whistle and with a few more minutes we could have nicked it. A really good atmosphere at the game. Personally I would prefer to have Brown at loose forward for his creative skills but Barlow worked really hard and got in an awful lot of tackling. I think the pack is big enough and mobile - just not running hard enough - too often took ball from a standing start or not standing deep enough - but as I said in the last 15 - 20 mins the pack really did make their mark on the game. I do wish the team would run from deep - maybe just my obsession but if the team stand too flat for me - where as again with Crusaders were standing deep and moved the ball out to their wings quickly.

#10 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Have to agree will everything above, Menzies particularly. Miss the flair of Richie. Watkins and Barlow are just being carried, what do they offer????

Barlow was to tackler with 37 !

#11 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Not surprised about that, even without counting the number of tackles made by each player, it was obvious how much work Barlow put in the tackling yesterday and to be honest the most improved aspect of his game is his discipline, last season a number of his tackles were deemed to be high and resulted in penalties - so to see him do so much tackling and not give any penalties away is pretty impressive.

#12 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Menzies impressed Sunday his defence was very good and put some hard work in. He ran some great lines going forward and showed his pace when scoring his try!! Swinton started slow and need to tighten up big time on the edges. With a bit more composure I think they would have won the game.

#13 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Not really sure what to make of the game - never really felt in the game until we nearly won it:-

Negatives

- Thought we could have been 30 points down after 20 minutes and would not have had a complaint;

- We are really going to struggle against any team with a 2 - 9 penalty count - Is it discipline or refereeing? (seemed like after half time we were going to keep letting them have the ball until they scored with a knock on from kick off and 3 or 4 repeat sets on the line)

- High tackles - seems to be "all the rave" at the minute.

- The edges of the defence seemed to be wide open for much of the first half.  

- Another narrow defeat (5 to date)

Positives

- Jordan Burkes try saving tackle to stop the grounding of the ball was immense, he really is showing his quality and had that try been given we may have been out of the game.

- A number of breaks/offloads from the forwards indicate the players are thinking of more than one man rugby up the middle (Hawkyard, Halliwell, Morrison and Menzies all managed to break the line/find the gap)

- James Brown and Zach Johnson gave the team a lot of forward momentum after the first prop change (a tactic to use James in this roll may be developing but can see the advantage of him at Loose forward)

- The team never gave up, had a foot in the game throughout and as in all previous games hung in there

- No lacking of effort and commitment from anyone

- The team continue to finish matches strongly and on the front foot

A little more composure at times and a little more belief and they look like a team that could gel into a winning team (after these narrow defeats)

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#14 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

It was nice to see some flags draped on the standing area and hope we can see some more.  Maybe the Swinton ones might get an airing sometime . Be nice to see them again but just plain ones supporting the lads with no wording that would upset anyone.

I will ask Colin to have a word at the operations meeting and see if i can get permission to have them displayed.

Riggy

#15 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Really enjoyed yesterdays game, though was getting a little nervous at the end! Swinton lads did well to come back into the game after the Cru had gone 20-6 up, as mentioned above I think we should have been out of sight by even more in the first half. But credit to your lads they kept going and made it into a close thing.

For me your lad Menzies stood out, thanks for being great hosts all the best for the rest of the season.

Regards 7

#16 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Not really sure what to make of the game - never really felt in the game until we nearly won it:-

Negatives
- Thought we could have been 30 points down after 20 minutes and would not have had a complaint;
- We are really going to struggle against any team with a 2 - 9 penalty count - Is it discipline or refereeing? (seemed like after half time we were going to keep letting them have the ball until they scored with a knock on from kick off and 3 or 4 repeat sets on the line)
- High tackles - seems to be "all the rave" at the minute.
- The edges of the defence seemed to be wide open for much of the first half.
- Another narrow defeat (5 to date)

Positives
- Jordan Burkes try saving tackle to stop the grounding of the ball was immense, he really is showing his quality and had that try been given we may have been out of the game.
- A number of breaks/offloads from the forwards indicate the players are thinking of more than one man rugby up the middle (Hawkyard, Halliwell, Morrison and Menzies all managed to break the line/find the gap)
- James Brown and Zach Johnson gave the team a lot of forward momentum after the first prop change (a tactic to use James in this roll may be developing but can see the advantage of him at Loose forward)
- The team never gave up, had a foot in the game throughout and as in all previous games hung in there
- No lacking of effort and commitment from anyone
- The team continue to finish matches strongly and on the front foot

A little more composure at times and a little more belief and they look like a team that could gel into a winning team (after these narrow defeats)

well the lads gave there all jord was gutted as of all the other players too, just that bit more experience possibly to calm things down at times think were massively missing mark smith this year in the middle with his extra graft and kicking game and leadership skills it's tough on Ian being the senior player /coach and if mark reads this site come on mate get them boots laced up for one more year,jord will always give 100% for this club as will all the other players, I believe we will turn the corner

Edited by mickburkes boots, 10 March 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#17 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think we need to think of imaginative ideas to attract new fans and encourage ex-fans to return. How can we encourage more families to attend?

The root cause of this is the club's diabolical failure to ensure that it retained its relationship with the S & P community at large.

This can only be addressed in a big way by reversing the process. After all, 22 years is a VERY long period of time in this situation. Probably the main way (if not the ONLY way) is to get the new local stadium up and running in the shortest possible time whilst simultaneously blowing the club's trumpet at full blast 24/7. Only then, perhaps, the descendants of former fans may come and have a look at us.

:tease:

#18 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Old!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#19 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Barlow was to tackler with 37 !

Yes but offers nothing going forward.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Just out of interest, does anyone know what happened to Mark Smith?

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users