TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Catalan - What has gone wrong and can they go down?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Didn't see this one coming. As someone who travels to see them play once a year I would be gutted if they went down, but after their shocking show yesterday, I think they must be in serious risk of the drop. I know they have a few injuries and they lost Mr Menzies, but relegation, really?

#2 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Most of the players don't trust the coach. Some others aren't fit. They don't have "soul" anymore.

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

They have lost 4 out of 4 and yes it could happen. However, I think as little as 6/7 wins (or 12/14 points) could be enough to stay up this year so plenty of time.

#4 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I think the problem is the coach to be honest.

#5 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

When Hyy Wg raised the issue after the Cas game, I thought it was an overreaction and posted so, but if Wakey can put over 50 on them including 32 unanswered points in the first half, then things don't look good. 

At the moment they've only played one home game and that was against a very good Leeds side and their next game is also away at Saints.   I suspect and hope that their home form will save them; we'll have a better idea in May when they will have played a few home games against the likes of Hull KR, Salford, Widnes and London.

#6 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

We don't know what will change this team (our team!) this year. I'm not against foreigners at all (Henderson and Whitehead are very very very great players, we need them) but i think some of them killed the thing. 

When you play for the only one French club in SL, you must not be joking around because relegation would be fatal for us. I'm really really angry with Webb and Lima because they're not even wanting to play the game, they're just too poor to be playing serious at the time. I'm angry with Taia and Pryce not bringing the talent they should have. I think Oldfield is a bit useless as we have some great quality wingers in France (thinking about Clément Soubeyras and Quentin Nauroy, probably unknown to you but full of talent). 

I feel fouled by Ben Pomeroy, coming here injured and taking the Jean-Philippe Baile place for no reason.

Louis Anderson is depressed, nothing to say about that, sh*t happens sometimes.

But i'm angry with some French players too, i'm not blindsinded. Elima and Bousquet are p*ssing me off, Jamal Fakir should learn how to catch a ball, Mathias Pala should have more time cutting his beard than in the field practicing ...

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

We don't know what will change this team (our team!) this year. I'm not against foreigners at all (Henderson and Whitehead are very very very great players, we need them) but i think some of them killed the thing. 

When you play for the only one French club in SL, you must not be joking around because relegation would be fatal for us. I'm really really angry with Webb and Lima because they're not even wanting to play the game, they're just too poor to be playing serious at the time. I'm angry with Taia and Pryce not bringing the talent they should have. I think Oldfield is a bit useless as we have some great quality wingers in France (thinking about Clément Soubeyras and Quentin Nauroy, probably unknown to you but full of talent). 

I feel fouled by Ben Pomeroy, coming here injured and taking the Jean-Philippe Baile place for no reason.

Louis Anderson is depressed, nothing to say about that, sh*t happens sometimes.

But i'm angry with some French players too, i'm not blindsinded. Elima and Bousquet are p*ssing me off, Jamal Fakir should learn how to catch a ball, Mathias Pala should have more time cutting his beard than in the field practicing ...

Good post. Elima should be the rock around which the entire Catalan and French side is built, but instead he seems to have become a bigger and bigger tantrum-thrower as his career has progressed.

The signing of Webb was always a bad idea, they should throw money at him to leave.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

The fixture scheduling on Catalans with four out of the first five being away, does seem unfair. It must also be demoralising for the players to have so few travelling supporters.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

They could stand being in this new "middle eight" but relegation ?  I doubt they could hack that financially.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

The RFL wanted jeopardy, this is one of the potential consequences. Im assuming , of course, that they fully considered the prospect of losing both London and Catalans from SL....

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#11 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Good post. Elima should be the rock around which the entire Catalan and French side is built, but instead he seems to have become a bigger and bigger tantrum-thrower as his career has progressed.

The signing of Webb was always a bad idea, they should throw money at him to leave.

They are missing Casty big time this season as well as other important players due to injury. Can they go down ? well yes of course and that would probably be the death knell for the club...Pity as so much has gone into building the club and the fanbase from almost zero.

Would changing the coach make a difference ? Possibly but surely David Waite has to step up and get the club out of this mess at least for the short term. This is becoming reminiscent of the last days of Walters. Trent and importantly fitness coach Keegan Smith transformed the club and  similar action seems to be the only realistic chance Catalan Dragons have of getting through this. 

#12 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

The RFL wanted jeopardy, this is one of the potential consequences. Im assuming , of course, that they fully considered the prospect of losing both London and Catalans from SL....

That's maybe something they actually wanted. Get rid of the "useless" Broncos and the "Why us?" French.

#13 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

I went to the game yesterday and after about 20 minutes the game was effectively over for them and it was just about all down to Brent Webb.

By the time he was pulled it was too late. Getting rid of him would be the best thing they could do.

#14 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Presume all these away games are at the fans request. Perpignan is a great weekend but not so in feb and march. Going with Hull KR for easter weekend...after the Big Derby!...but any earlier would be too cold.

#15 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

"Breaking" news : Jamal Fakir has been dropped into the reserve team until the end of the season and Brent Webb is on the same way.

#16 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

"Breaking" news : Jamal Fakir has been dropped into the reserve team until the end of the season and Brent Webb is on the same way.

Doesn't the French comp (Catalan Reserves) season end soon?

#17 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Injuries and the Coach Laurent Frayssinous was not a great choice.

#18 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I think it lasts a month or two in the reserve, no big deal.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Pryce can play anywhere, Bosc is a pure standoff.

Play Bosc.

Move Pryce to loose forward or fullback and make him captain.

Sorted.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

They're going mad on the French forums calling all the foreign players! They're not happy fakir has been sanctioned! He's been rubbish for years, had 5 good games before his contract was up and got a new one,
The French players aren't doing any better than the foreigners or showing more commitment!
Apparently Webb is having medical tests before they make a decision on him and maybe paea is being sacked too, as for Lima he's trying, he was gutted after the Leeds loss and so was pryce, being in a night club on a Saturday night after a Friday game doesn't really shock me!

Edited by barnyia, 11 March 2014 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users