Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any luck for any amateurs this week in the CUP?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Should of been a 7

Should of been a 7
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

?????

#2 One trick pony

One trick pony
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Anyone like to try and predict handicaps for the amateurs? Hard one for the bookies but can't see any upsets....

Batley v Kells
British Army v Doncaster
Dewsbury v West Hull
Egremont v Oldham
Hull Dockers v Halifax
Keighley v Wath Brow
Milford Marlins v Barrow
Normanton v Workington
North Wales v Pilkington Recs
Sheffield v East Leeds
Wigan St Pats v Leigh

#3 AC3

AC3
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

If Kells or Wath were at home I could see an upset but other than that I can't see any unfortunately 

#4 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

If Kells or Wath were at home I could see an upset but other than that I can't see any unfortunately

Even at home the gulf in class would be to much with the opponents they've drawn
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#5 Redandwhitearmy

Redandwhitearmy
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Crnt see any upsets to be honest, we travel to Sheff eagles be a great day out for the fans be hard to top the trip to leigh centurions last year though.

#6 sidsmudge

sidsmudge
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

no !!!!

#7 sidsmudge

sidsmudge
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

although good chance for a few clubs to make a few quid which is what its all about !!!

#8 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

I still think this round should have been the amateurs and the championship 2 teams,which could have resulted in at least a couple of wins for the amateurs,can't see any upsets this year and that's to the detriment of the cup.

#9 terryg

terryg
  • Coach
  • 572 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Maybe have all but superleague in from round one. Eliminated teams go through to a plate competition, the final played as the challenge cup final curtain raiser.

#10 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

It's been shambolic from the first draw.

Another 8 amateur teams could have entered at the 1st round , instead of giving Featherstone Rovers and London Skolars byes in the 3rd round...  :nono:

#11 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Maybe have all but superleague in from round one. Eliminated teams go through to a plate competition, the final played as the challenge cup final curtain raiser.

This was done in 1997 - the concept of rewarding losing teams was soundly denigrated.

It's been shambolic from the first draw.

Another 8 amateur teams could have entered at the 1st round , instead of giving Featherstone Rovers and London Skolars byes in the 3rd round...  :nono:

This is the fault of the late withdrawal of the French teams, although I have seen rumours that their pull-out was early enough to be dealt with.

#12 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

This was done in 1997 - the concept of rewarding losing teams was soundly denigrated.

Although it was done in 1997, I cant for the life of me understand why a Plate competition isn't ran for clubs in Championship and Championship 1 and have it as a rugby league double-header. A Championship team is never going to reach Wembley unless some miracle happens and they are kept away from Super League opposition in every round.

I'm sure we would all love the opportunity to support our team at Wembley in the same successful way that the Grand Final was always played as a double-header at Old Trafford

#13 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Although it was done in 1997, I cant for the life of me understand why a Plate competition isn't ran for clubs in Championship and Championship 1 and have it as a rugby league double-header. A Championship team is never going to reach Wembley unless some miracle happens and they are kept away from Super League opposition in every round.

I'm sure we would all love the opportunity to support our team at Wembley in the same successful way that the Grand Final was always played as a double-header at Old Trafford

That was exactly the thinking in 1997 - it just didn't work. Hunslet lost 60-22 in the final to Leigh maybe, I think the semi-finals were keenly contested, and Hunslet did very well to get to Wembley, but apart from that high point, the concept was seen as flawed, and generally unsuccessful.

I'd say the main argument against it is that it potentially removes a lot of the incentive for someone like Featherstone to beat say, Castleford (bad example in this context!), in round 4 when they'd be much better off getting to Wembley by making sure they lost at that stage rather than one round later.

#14 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

That was exactly the thinking in 1997 - it just didn't work. Hunslet lost 60-22 in the final to Leigh maybe, I think the semi-finals were keenly contested, and Hunslet did very well to get to Wembley, but apart from that high point, the concept was seen as flawed, and generally unsuccessful.

I'd say the main argument against it is that it potentially removes a lot of the incentive for someone like Featherstone to beat say, Castleford (bad example in this context!), in round 4 when they'd be much better off getting to Wembley by making sure they lost at that stage
rather than one round later.

Think it was Hull KR that won it. Perceptions and the landscape have changed time to try again
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#15 sidsmudge

sidsmudge
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Think Siddal will be hurting more than most with their defeat to dockers in last round,would have had a derby with Halifax down t shay...prob got about 4,000 crowd...few quid lost there !!!

#16 Seabrook

Seabrook
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Although I understand where you are coming from sidsmudge. Technically if siddal had of won at dockers it would have been an entirely different draw as the numbers were alphabetical I believe. Do amateur teams still make much money in this round now? My understanding is they don't

#17 Should of been a 7

Should of been a 7
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Some of the higher and more financially stable clubs hand the full gate takings over to the lower rank teams.
It is the next round that smaller clubs make money.

#18 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Clubs get £1,000.00 for getting to round 3. Which is very useful to be fair at My Club Milford Marlins it is mainly for the Players to enjoy the day and hopefully one that they remember. any other money is
always useful but that depends on the draw. We are playing Barrow Raiders at Headingley this sunday. we
could have switched the fixture to Barrow and possibly made more money but for our players to play and
our supporters to see the Marlins playing at Headingley against a pro club means more to us than the
money.

#19 Should of been a 7

Should of been a 7
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Batley v Kells +52

British Army + 50 v Doncaster

Dewsbury v West Hull + 32

Egremont + 22 v Oldham

Hull Dockers +48 v Halifax

Keighley v Wath Brow +28

Milford Marlins +38 v Barrow

Normanton +52 v Workington

North Wales v Pilkington Recs +36

Sheffield v East Leeds + 46

Wigan St Pats +56 v Leigh

What do we think???

#20 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

Some of the higher and more financially stable clubs hand the full gate takings over to the lower rank teams.
It is the next round that smaller clubs make money.

Ha!  :laugh:

Where did this happen in the 118 year challenge cup history?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users