Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is rugby league a minority sport?

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Red Cross rl 21

Red Cross rl 21
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Do we need to accept rugby league is minority sport...??

#2 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Minority compared to football? Yes. Compared to Union and Cricket. Possibly. Compared to most other sports? No.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

All sports are minority sports.  There isn't a single one regularly played or watched by more than half the population.

Rugby league has fewer participants than netball (for example) but more supporters and spectators than pretty much anything apart from soccer, cricket and, debatably, rugby union.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

No! To accept that rugby league is a minority sport is to admit defeat. Minority sports don't get 368k viewers on sky for league matches, minority sports don't supply rival codes national team with players and coaches. rugby league punches way above its weight and if given a fair crack of the whip in terms of media coverage, help from the government and investment rugby league can compete with union and cricket for example at a national level.

#5 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Compared to football we are a minority sport. Should this be construed as a problem? I don't think so. We have, in my opinion, the greatest spectator sport in the world. A poor game of RL has more excitement than the best game of football so why aren't people turning up in their droves to watch our product? Is it due to lack of advertising, do folks not know that RL exists, is it because there's no game near to where they live. Lots of questions, what's the answer?

#6 Red Cross rl 21

Red Cross rl 21
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Do we have 2 many armchair supporters??
We should be getting more people to our matches
It's such a great sport, but looks terrible infront of few thousand fans

#7 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

It no longer appears on the main set of links on the BBC Sports Home page. 

Football; Formula 1; Cricket; Rugby U; Tennis; Golf; Athletics; Cycling

I don't know if the leftward position on the bar is important - it usually is.

Whilst appreciating that a lot of people like it, I assume Formula 1 comes "second" as the BBC has made such a huge investment in it.

If the position is important, I cannot understand why tennis comes before golf.  The UK has a single world class tennis player whereas golf has McIlroy, Westwood, Rose, McDowell, Poulter and Donald.

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 11 March 2014 - 09:51 AM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#8 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

It no longer appears on the main set of links on the BBC Sports Home page. 

Football; Formula 1; Cricket; Rugby U; Tennis; Golf; Athletics; Cycling

I don't know if the leftward position on the bar is important - it usually is.

Whilst appreciating that a lot of people like it, I assume Formula 1 comes "second" as the BBC has made such a huge investment in it.

If the position is important, I cannot understand why tennis comes before golf.  The UK has a single world class tennis player whereas golf has McIlroy, Westwood, Rose, McDowell, Poulter and Donald.

On the BBC sports page I see:

Football Formula 1 Cricket Rugby U Rugby L Tennis Golf Athletics Sport Relief

#9 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Same here...are you viewing outside the UK?

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Compared to football we are a minority sport. Should this be construed as a problem? I don't think so. We have, in my opinion, the greatest spectator sport in the world. A poor game of RL has more excitement than the best game of football so why aren't people turning up in their droves to watch our product? Is it due to lack of advertising, do folks not know that RL exists, is it because there's no game near to where they live. Lots of questions, what's the answer?

I agree with you that rugby league is the greatest spectator sport in the world even more so when it's played by 2 evenly matched sides infront of packed stadiums like the England v NZ semi or state of origin which will 9/10 result in a classic match, But as a now casual football fan(after I caught the league bug) I can't agree with you that a poor RL match is more exciting as the best football match. As for why fans aren't turning up in droves I think it's a number of things rather than just one thing, like lack of advertising, poor stadiums and facilities in some not all cases and complete lack of knowledge that the game even exists and I'm proof of that. Before I caught the league bug I was a football fanatic until oneday a league loving primary school teacher brought a rugby ball in and let us play touch rugby at breaktime and as luck would have it the 1990 ashes series was on and the rest is history. We need to target primary and secondary schools more, colleges and universities more and workplaces more(in terms of ticket deals), create an environment in which everybody is involved with the game in the local community at all levels instead of just a rugby league match on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon.

#11 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I wouldn't say it is a minority sport........i'd say RL punches above it's weight in terms of TV audiences. 

But we'll always struggle to make an impact nationwide until our international game gets better/bigger/more competitive.

I'll be honest that i take more interest in Union Internationals than league ones but i have no real interest in domestic rugby union games.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#12 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

i am

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

i am

Spartacus?

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Not really as a game wide concept. I agree with some posters above that maybe it has to be accepted just for what it really is, great bits, warts and all, to a certain extent and work things from there.

However on reflection it may assist us if we accept RL is probably a minority sport outside the "heartlands" then we can maybe find the right way forward whether that's growth, survival or keeping decline at bay.

But for all the great things people suggest we should do above, one thing I think we need to accept is clubs grabbing the vast majority of the £200M TV money for themselves means these things are less likely to happen.

Edited by The Parksider, 11 March 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#15 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I agree with you that rugby league is the greatest spectator sport in the world even more so when it's played by 2 evenly matched sides infront of packed stadiums like the England v NZ semi or state of origin which will 9/10 result in a classic match, But as a now casual football fan(after I caught the league bug) I can't agree with you that a poor RL match is more exciting as the best football match. As for why fans aren't turning up in droves I think it's a number of things rather than just one thing, like lack of advertising, poor stadiums and facilities in some not all cases and complete lack of knowledge that the game even exists and I'm proof of that. Before I caught the league bug I was a football fanatic until oneday a league loving primary school teacher brought a rugby ball in and let us play touch rugby at breaktime and as luck would have it the 1990 ashes series was on and the rest is history. We need to target primary and secondary schools more, colleges and universities more and workplaces more(in terms of ticket deals), create an environment in which everybody is involved with the game in the local community at all levels instead of just a rugby league match on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon.

Yep effective promotion of the game is the key - not preaching to the converted but to bring in new people at all levels - whether we have the budget for that is another question.

I am born and bred in pontefract........a stone's throw from lots of rugby league teams at all levels...........yet i don't have a single person in my circle of friends that has the slightest interest in RL.

I go with my dad and that's it.........I can't give tickets away when i have spare ones..........there's a definite problem with how rugby league is perceived.........too cheap/northern/small scale/working class/local/tacky........i don't know........it's hard to know what the people who aren't interested think?

The only downside i can think of in regards to RL is because the game is quite a simple competition of athleticism (what also makes it brilliant)........when teams are un even i find it quite boring.........in soccer you can waste time or your goalie can play a blinder........in Union you can slow a game down with endless scrums and set plays...............in RL if you come up short you get a hiding

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Yep effective promotion of the game is the key - not preaching to the converted but to bring in new people at all levels - whether we have the budget for that is another question.

I am born and bred in pontefract........a stone's throw from lots of rugby league teams at all levels...........yet i don't have a single person in my circle of friends that has the slightest interest in RL.

Anecdotal and interesting comment.

Like you I know plenty of people round here, born and bred northerners who are well aware of the Leeds Rhinos who also do not have the slightest interest in RL either.

I am not sure whether a large advertising budget will encourage them to take any interest and beside as you say is there a budget anyway?. I don't buy the idea people are somehow yet to discover RL.

Plenty of people were well aware of the world cup, turned up, but seemingly from the dreaded "figures" aren't bothering with the game now that is over.

#17 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

MInority? No.

But it does run the risk of being seen as 'bargain basement'. Just the other day my girlfriend pointed out that Groupon is offering Challenge Cup Final tickets for 16quid. I know we want a sell out, but selling them at that price, this far out from the game, really does come across as desperate. I think we're in danger of pricing ourselves so low that we come to be regarded as not worth paying for.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Do we have 2 many armchair supporters??

Look where our clubs are.  

That's a vast amount of Britain that's not going to be able to make a match most weeks.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Anecdotal and interesting comment.

Like you I know plenty of people round here, born and bred northerners who are well aware of the Leeds Rhinos who also do not have the slightest interest in RL either.

I am not sure whether a large advertising budget will encourage them to take any interest and beside as you say is there a budget anyway?. I don't buy the idea people are somehow yet to discover RL.

Plenty of people were well aware of the world cup, turned up, but seemingly from the dreaded "figures" aren't bothering with the game now that is over.

Its never easy to bring in new fans unless its done as a development program at Schools from an early age, or perhaps incentive on Family passes to bring the new generation into the game.

I have three boys and they never watch a game with me on TV or have any interest in going to a game more than once

Its hard to hook new fans, the Yanks have been trying to sell their Sports to the world for years and Football has been targeting the USA for decades with limited success.

They tell me the Aussie Rules fans think they have the best game and can not understand why everyone doesn't embrace it as their Sport. 

Edited by boxhead, 11 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#20 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

need to get our league structures right first and implement a regular international program (not just make it up at last minute) Need to court more people like the good doctor love him or hate he has brought money into our game and grabbed a few headlines for our sport along the way . Stadia is an issue that needs addressing when you look at some west Yorkshire clubs while I like traditional old grounds new people and families are not going to be attracted with the facilities on offer. We may be a minority sport but I think we are the best supported summer sport in uk .

Chief Crazy Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users