Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bob Crow

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

As the obituary thread has to be respectfull -

Great union leader for his members but very divisive.

Got his members a great deal.

(null)
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

As the obituary thread has to be respectfull -
Great union leader for his members but very divisive.
Got his members a great deal.
(null)

That's what he was paid to do, get a good deal for his members in which he did. Sad loss R.I.P.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,147 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

There was a lot to be annoyed about - such as staging strikes to support members who had been found guilty of deeply unpleasant acts (one tube strike was threated, can't remember if it went ahead, in defence of a member who'd been working on a platform and had abused a perfectly innocent passenger) - but definitely the right man to lead a union fighting to ensure the best deal for its members.

He seemed to have been around forever though so it's startlingly to see he was only 52 - and, of course, that's no age to go at.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Worked tirelessly for his members and got them a consistently good deal. He also had lots of good points to make about social and economic policies in this country, even if he didn't make them in the best way.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I didn't agree with everything he said but I liked the fact that he was one of a rapidly disappearing breed who wasn't ashamed of being working class and think we are only there to press buttons or clean toilets. RIP

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Sit back and wait for the Broadsheets to dish the dirt in his obituaries.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I didn't agree with everything he said but I liked the fact that he was one of a rapidly disappearing breed who wasn't ashamed of being working class and think we are only there to press buttons or clean toilets. RIP

I concur 100% with you.

#8 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Agree with that, the world needs people who are prepared to ask questions and to stand up for what they believe in.

I also do not agree with everything he said, but I am very glad that he exercised his right to say them and remind people that this is not forbidden or no longer allowed.

28m391z.jpg

#9 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Very sad to hear of Bob's untimely death. Bob articulated what many of us on the left feel. A working class voice in a sea of identikit middle class clones who use the Labour Movement for their own career advancement. He was one of us, whilst they only misrepresent us. RIP Comrade!

LUNEW.jpg

#10 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Britain is now a poorer place with the loss of one of the few genuine people in public life. RIP Bob, deepest sympathy extended to his family, friends and RMT members.

:( 

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Its tragedy that he had died so young and the country is a poorer place when anyone dies. 500 000 people die in the UK every year. There is hardly a thing i agreed with him on but there is no doubt that he did the job his members expected of him. Yes, old labour has lost a character certainly but the world will continue to turn.

Edited by JohnM, 11 March 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Britain is now a poorer place with the loss of one of the few genuine people in public life. RIP Bob, deepest sympathy extended to his family, friends and RMT members.

:(

If the Tories, the daily mail and other right wing rags have you in their sights like bob crow was you're doing something right for the 99% and sticking it to the ruling elitist 1%. The working class lost a warrior and a fighter today and the world is a poorer place.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Can't agree. He was a restoring bully who believed that might is right. A true Old Labour man . Yes the world is poorer by his death but no more than by anyone else's death

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Can't agree. He was a restoring bully who believed that might is right. A true Old Labour man . Yes the world is poorer by his death but no more than by anyone else's death

Yes anyone who promotes ridiculous ideas like workers having rights and not simply agreeing with any ridiculous penny pinching scheme that management come up with is obviously a bully.

#15 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

How else can working people expect to gain better pay, benefits and working conditions by not being tough and willing to stand up and fight against their bosses? And who else is going to fight for them, the politicians? The political party's? Their bosses?

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm sorry, but, for me, there are echoes of Arthur Scargill in his personality.

I will remember him as an arrogant necessary cog in Britain's political and industrial relations regimes. Just a cog, not the whole flywheel.

#17 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Usual suspects, usual opinions. Plus ca change!

LUNEW.jpg

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Anyone standing up for workers rights in this day and age is automatically a target for the Mail etc to label as a 'bully' or a dinosaur so unless that person had quite a tough personality then they probably wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Remember, cuts to services and jobs are essential and we should all acknowledge that, standing up to them is obviously bullying.

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Usual suspects, usual opinions. Plus ca change!

Remembering, of course, that your appraisal applies to both sides of the opinion.

:biggrin:

#20 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Anyone standing up for workers rights in this day and age is automatically a target for the Mail etc to label as a 'bully' or a dinosaur so unless that person had quite a tough personality then they probably wouldn't last 5 minutes.
Remember, cuts to services and jobs are essential and we should all acknowledge that, standing up to them is obviously bullying.

Absoultey, savage cuts to the NHS, fire fighters, police, transport sector and other public services affect us all and in some cases can be the difference between life and death. Not only do these savage cuts affect our standard of living but they throw hard working people onto the dole, people who are contributing to society by providing an essential service, paying taxes and reinvesting their wages into the British economy. What are they contributing to society if they're thrown onto the scrap heap and claiming dole money?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users