Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

ex players becomeing ref's

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

thought jamie bloem did ok on sunday one of the best we'v had for a long time being a ex player and knowing the game from a players point of view he let the game flow when he could !! only when the touch judges got involed did he have to have words with players ???

#2 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

thought jamie bloem did ok on sunday one of the best we'v had for a long time being a ex player and knowing the game from a players point of view he let the game flow when he could !! only when the touch judges got involed did he have to have words with players ???

Haha, and the moral of this story is???
Im Fev and im proud

#3 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Poachers and game-keepers spring to mind!

#4 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Fair play to Jamie Bloem.

He's put his neck on the block and i thought he had a good game.

Hope he grows in the role

Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#5 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Erm hello, are people forgetting local lad dave merrick? Fairest ref i've seen and isn't afraid to show a card or two. He won silver whistle one year. Overall superb ref and i've heard he is a sound guy outside of rugby. Used to play for doncaster dragons i think he played down at lions as well.

#6 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

Erm hello, are people forgetting local lad dave merrick? Fairest ref i've seen and isn't afraid to show a card or two. He won silver whistle one year. Overall superb ref and i've heard he is a sound guy outside of rugby. Used to play for doncaster dragons i think he played down at lions as well.

I haven't forgot Dave Merrick, he's a good referee, and like you say a sound guy outside rugby and a family man. I've known him since he was knee high to a Grasshopper.
Im Fev and im proud

#7 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Im sure he played for fev A team as well.

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

And then there was Laurie Gant.

#9 knottla

knottla
  • Facebook
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Steve Pressley refereed he played with Batley ,then there's Robin Whitfield that's an interesting one he played with Huyton I believe and got sine die for hitting a ref if I remember rightly, there's probably plenty more turned to reffing after playing.

#10 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Steve Pressley refereed he played with Batley ,then there's Robin Whitfield that's an interesting one he played with Huyton I believe and got sine die for hitting a ref if I remember rightly, there's probably plenty more turned to reffing after playing.

Robin Whitfield played full back with Widnes also. He played in the same team as Ray French. His brother Colin played for Halifax and Wigan to name but two.
Russell Smith was an excellent prospect but sustained a career ending knee injury at Colts level. I didn't take to him at first, but I realised what a great referee he was. He was the first ref to know all the players' names and treat them with great respect. He used to live around the corner from us but I think he emigrated to Australia.

#11 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Did jimmy leahy ever play????
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Robin Whitfield played full back with Widnes also. He played in the same team as Ray French. His brother Colin played for Halifax and Wigan to name but two.
Russell Smith was an excellent prospect but sustained a career ending knee injury at Colts level. I didn't take to him at first, but I realised what a great referee he was. He was the first ref to know all the players' names and treat them with great respect. He used to live around the corner from us but I think he emigrated to Australia.

he did go to Aus Andrew, he was the video ref on one aussie game i watched. i think he worked as a brickie when he was over here.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#13 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

he did go to Aus Andrew, he was the video ref on one aussie game i watched. i think he worked as a brickie when he was over here.

Cheers buddy.

#14 ethelred the unready

ethelred the unready
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Did jimmy leahy ever play????

Jamie Leahy played at Dewsbury Moor, and possibly at Leeds Met, but he never played pro.

#15 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Didn't Russell Smith play as pro?  Although I never rated him, in fact I go as far as to say I hated him

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users