Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Attending NRL matches in Sydney

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm in the process of planning my first trip to Australia in just over 12 months,spending a long weekend in Sydney and hoping to take in a couple of matches,Any advice on tickets:is it best to buy in advance,can you pay at the grounds,transport fron CBD to homebush,can you walk to ANZ and of the smaller grounds which are the easiest to get to.Any advice would be most welcome.

#2 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

Go see the Newtown Jets at Henson Oval!

#3 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

Buy in advance and print out your ticket.  This year trains to ANZ are free if you have a ticket and it might be the same next year too. The stadium is a short walk from the station. 

You can buy at the grounds but you may be stuck in a line waiting with all the others buying on the day.

Not being a sydneysider I have only been to a 2 grounds there...  the Sydney Football Stadium and the Olympic Stadium (Homebush).  Both are easy to get to on game day for someone staying in a central area of sydney.

Another option is to watch a game in Gosford (On the Central Coast).  Their stadium is right near the train station which is a one hour 20 minute ride from Sydney's Central station.

Edited by Copa, 11 March 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#4 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

I'm in the process of planning my first trip to Australia in just over 12 months,spending a long weekend in Sydney and hoping to take in a couple of matches,Any advice on tickets:is it best to buy in advance,can you pay at the grounds,transport fron CBD to homebush,can you walk to ANZ and of the smaller grounds which are the easiest to get to.Any advice would be most welcome.

You wont have to order tickets, unless your planning to go to Origin. Most games have 60 thousand empty seats at ANZ, so just rock up and enjoy. 

#5 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

You wont have to order tickets, unless your planning to go to Origin. Most games have 60 thousand empty seats at ANZ, so just rock up and enjoy.

you don't get the free train trip if you buy at the stadium. You may also miss out on cheaper tickets if not buying online.

#6 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Cheers copa,I had heard about the free train travel if you had a match ticket,hopefully that will carry on next season.

#7 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

I'd agree with what Copa says on the tickets. When I've been I've booked before hand and printed the tickets off at home. Ticketek.com does a lot of the tickets. You can pay at the ground, but its handy to be able to have the tickets before you go. 

ANZ is easy to get to on the train. The SFS (Allianz) has buses running past it, but we walked there from the CBD. Only takes about 20 or 30 minutes. Of the rest, we did Cronulla which was a 15 min walk from Woolooware station through a residential area, and Penrith is a 15 / 20 minute walk from their rail station. It can take over an hour on the train to Penrith (depends on how many stops the train does). Penrith Leagues club and its various attractions is just down the road from Penriths ground as well. 

We visited Parramatta but never went to a game there, but I believe Parramatta Stadium is not far from the centre, and that's easily doable by train, or by the ferry from Sydney. One of the tickets that enables you to hop on any of the trains, buses and ferries is very handy. 

#8 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just back from Oz on my first visit from the UK and took in 3 NRL games

My experiences were mixed.
The NRL fixtures are issued in late November for a early March start. If you want to book your flights before November 2014 then it will be pot luck what games are planned at the time you are over there, but undoubtedly there will be at least 3 or 4 games played in Sydney over every weekend of the season.

I took in 3 matches and all had different ticketing partners. And there are differnet ticketing partners depending on the venue for the games for that team e.g Manly.
A commom theme was that I couldn't buy tickets at Manly and Brisbane well in advance as only 1 game at a time were on sale, however as I was looking at tickets up to 4 weeks before the games, this may not be so nearer the time.

Game 1 - Wests vs Souths at Olympic Stadium
I decided not to book tickets in advance for 2 reasons. 1. There would be planty of tickets left as there would be no way the the Olympic Stadium would be full. 2. If I tried to book online in the UK, I couldn't choose seats or even the block I wanted to sit in - the only option was the 2 seats given as 'Best Awailable' which wasn't in a block I wanted to sit in, in that price bracket. Not good IMO.
The seat prices were cheap, and I rolled up at the stadium and queued for no more than 3 minutes about 45 minutes before kick-off. However, the seats I was given didn't have the best of views (too low down) and I should have been more insistent about sitting further back in all the empty seats.
I chose this game over going to Penrith on the Saturday - the lure of seeing the Burgesses won over going to a traditional ground

Game 2 - Manly v Parramatta at Brookvale
Again, didn't book tickets as the weather was looking changeable. 2 sides of the ground are open to the elements and my wife as a non-rugby lass wouldn't have been pleased if we had been rained on. Manly's previous 2 games had pulled-in 14 and 15k in a 23k stadium (where do they put the other 9,000??) so figured we could get entry on the day to either the covered or uncovered areas ok. As it turned out the weather was ok right until full-time, when it started to rain. Manly tickets seemed to go on sale to their members before the general public in the lead up to the game. Bought general admission ($32) on the day and only 2 people in front of me in the queue

Game 3 - Brisbane v Parramatta
Again, turned up on the day. It was busy but queued for no more than 5 - 8 minutes.
As it was our last night in Sydney, i wanted to get decent seats in Suncorp. However, most of the areas of the maroon tickets ($55) did not have 2 seats together and we were high up in the corner in line with the try line. Again, the ticketing office did not give you seat options, just whatever they wanted to allocate to you. At Brisbane, the crowd was 32,000 but 37,000 tickets had been sold, so 5,000 didn't turn up and there were lots of empty seats in the sections I would have preferred to sit in.

Manly, by far was the best experience, and converted my wife for the first time about going to a rugby game. What could be better than lunch on the beach, catch the bus to Brookvale, get the towel down on the hill in the middle of the locals, near the halfway line, with a few drinks? (I know it won't be like that all the time!)
Maybe it was the traditional team and ground thing, but Manly was so much better than Olympic Park that was only 25% full.
The idea of many treams playing at one venue through the season isn't right. There wasn't much atmosphere.
Suncorp is a great stadium. They only serve XXXX beer and it is dishwater. Actually dishwater has more flavour. Its only redeeming features is that it is cold and wet on a hot evening.

I did want to go to Henson Park but it was being refurbished and no games planned.
I did look at more local games, but it was difficult to find out what was going on when you are travelling a lot, have limited internet access, and little time to arrange to go to a local game. Maybe I should have done more research beforehand, or asked around a bit more. I did get to 3 NRL games, however. I didn't watch any further games on TV, but did catch the Footy Show and this knock the socks off anything Sky put out over here.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need anything further. I was there 3 weeks and a day and not a single mention of Premiership football which is a plus.
Sydney is great and you definitely need more than a long weekend there. The transport system is very, very good and even if you don't book tickets in advance to get the free travel, the prices are reasonable. However, beer is expensive.

#9 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

Cheers Shaun mc,that's spot on,gonna be there this time next year,with 4 nights over a weekend in Sydney,hopefully Manly are at home,a match at Brookevale would be nice,sounds like you had a great time mate.

#10 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Go see the Newtown Jets at Henson Oval!

Not forgetting the North Sydney Bears at North Sydney Oval either

Posted Image

#11 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Cheers Shaun mc,that's spot on,gonna be there this time next year,with 4 nights over a weekend in Sydney,hopefully Manly are at home,a match at Brookevale would be nice,sounds like you had a great time mate.

The day at Manly was one of my favourite days of the 3 weeks over there.
I was surprised initially at how far from Sydney city centre Manly is, but its really easy to get to.
Sunday morning ferry from Circular Quay to Manly - took 40 mins. There was a tourist info place at the wharf at Manly as you get off the ferry, and they gave us all the information how to get to Brookvale by bus.
A walk down to Manly beach - about 10 mins. A good lunch at the beach with a couple of beers, then wander back to get the bus to Brookvale. Bus takes 10 - 15 mins and drops you off outside the ground.
On the way back we caught a bus outside the ground that took us all the way to Wynard rail station in the centre of Sydney. As it was raining, we weren't that bothered about getting the ferry back.
We bought a 1 day travel pass that day and that allows free travel on trains, buses and ferries
Hope there's a home game at Manly to coincide with your weekend in Sydney.
As an alternative, if Manly weren't at home, I would have gone to St George at Woollongong. Again, its out of Sydney to the south, there are trains there, but where else can you watch a game of RL overlooking the Pacific Ocean?

#12 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

Nicer than overlooking the Solway ?

#13 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Can't beat sitting on Allonby beach, with a Twentymans ice cream overlooking the Solway and Criffel in the background!

Having reflected further on the Oz trip and my posts of advice, I think one disappointment is the ticketing system at the games and not being able to pick seats on line

Perhaps those based in Australia could advise better than me, as I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.
The system seems to be like Ticketmaster (in fact Aussie Ticketmaster was one of the agents) and allocate what the system deems to be the 'Best Availabe' and take or leave it.

I may be wrong of course and perhaps others can give better advice.

#14 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

you don't get the free train trip if you buy at the stadium. You may also miss out on cheaper tickets if not buying online.

Sydney still sucks for attending matches. However, they're now whinging in the AFL that certain blockbusters haven't had the crowds of previous seasons. Today's Richmond v Collingwood clash drew only 62,100. None of the Big Four have drawn more than 63k so far.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#15 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Take it from a bloke who's spent the last 40 + years in Melbourne,(18 month side stay in QLD) & NEVER followed an AFL side - The NRL has a long way to go before it can measure up to the crowd levels & membership drives of the AFL !!

The prices of AFL membership is through the roof

The price of finals tickets,(even for 'standing room') have to be seen to be believed

YET STILL...........................

The NRL does the ostrich thing & claims it is making headway in it's 'core states'

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#16 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Can't beat sitting on Allonby beach, with a Twentymans ice cream overlooking the Solway and Criffel in the background!Having reflected further on the Oz trip and my posts of advice, I think one disappointment is the ticketing system at the games and not being able to pick seats on linePerhaps those based in Australia could advise better than me, as I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.The system seems to be like Ticketmaster (in fact Aussie Ticketmaster was one of the agents) and allocate what the system deems to be the 'Best Availabe' and take or leave it.I may be wrong of course and perhaps others can give better advice.

No you're right. Ticketek and ticketmaster only ever allocate 'best available' when you book online. It's quite annoying actually.
I'm not sure if you go into a ticket office or call them up if you can choose them?

As for grounds, my best experience of a Sydney game was a Tigers match at Leichardt. Just fabulous - old style ground with a brilliant atmosphere.
Davo - if you're lucky enough to have one of those fall over the time you are there, then make sure you go :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users