Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Koukash confirms wife’s interest in purchasing Bulls

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Salford Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash has taken to Twitter to reveal his wife – Mandy – is interested in purchasing the crisis-stricken Bradford Bulls.

All offers for the club – which is in financial turmoil once again – have to be with the administrator, David Wilson, by the close of play on Thursday. And the enigmatic Koukash revealed to his Twitter followers that his wife is indeed putting a bid together for the club.

Koukash tweeted: “I had to do mine and the kids tea tonight as my wife is busy finalising her bid to buy Bradford.

“I hope nothing will stand in her way. The bid is almost compete. Good luck to her. If my wife cannot buy Bradford, she would invest in the club.”

http://www.totalrl.c...rchasing-bulls/

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Surely this could lead to a massive conflict of interests and can't be for the good of our sport as a whole unless there are no other bids for the Bradford club?

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:50 AM

Surely this could lead to a massive conflict of interests and can't be for the good of our sport as a whole unless there are no other bids for the Bradford club?

1. Beggars can't be choosers. 2. Didn't Hetherington and his sister both have interests in Hull and Leeds without much fuss being made. 3. If there are to be shenanigans from this arrangement, I hope Dr Khoukash has more success making his wife do what he wants I do.4. A woman owner would be an interesting development and, if Sally Bolton is any guide, a successful one.

#4 jlawton21

jlawton21
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Great news for all concerned IMO. The number of clubs with wealthy owners is increasing(assuming the deal goes through). When we have enough teams comfortably spending up to the salary cap, then we can realistically talk about raising the cap.

#5 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Can't say I'm overly happy. There's a definite conflict of interest there IMO. However, we're not in a position to be choosy. Plus, on a selfish note, if there is a similar level of investment to Salford it'll be great. Back towards where we used to be.

I guess we'll know more tomorrow.

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,850 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

Great news for all concerned IMO. The number of clubs with wealthy owners is increasing(assuming the deal goes through). When we have enough teams comfortably spending up to the salary cap, then we can realistically talk about raising the cap.

Maybe we can talk about player development instead. Raise the cap and you raise salaries only. The "wealthy" aren't so wealthy they will be able to reverse the drain to Union and NRL.

#7 jlawton21

jlawton21
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Maybe we can talk about player development instead. Raise the cap and you raise salaries only. The "wealthy" aren't so wealthy they will be able to reverse the drain to Union and NRL.

I see your point here but, surely raising the cap doesn't merely just raise the players wages. Won't it allow us to attract better quality players? Players that are already on higher wages.
And even if it does only serve to raise salaries I would suggest that will prevent at least some playets from leaving Super League.

#8 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

Losing players may be a problem at the moment but if More was put into developing home grown players with the result being more top quality players coming into superleague then losing 1 to 2 players per season but producing maybe 10 + Moe than we do now each year actually puts the game in a stronger position

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Point of order - he didn't "do tea" he went the chippy!

#10 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

I hope Dr Khoukash has more success making his wife do what he wants I do.4. A woman owner would be an interesting development 

Welcome to the 21st century, you may find things have changed a bit since you were put into suspended animation in 1973

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#11 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

1. Beggars can't be choosers. 2. Didn't Hetherington and his sister both have interests in Hull and Leeds without much fuss being made. 3. If there are to be shenanigans from this arrangement, I hope Dr Khoukash has more success making his wife do what he wants I do.4. A woman owner would be an interesting development and, if Sally Bolton is any guide, a successful one.

2. Why be offensive in relation to Gary and Kath?

3. She is married to the man, not dangling from strings held by him. Also, The Married Women's Property Act of 1893 saw to it that the club will belong to Mrs K and her property will remain her own. No more do we, or our property, belong to our husband once marriage has commenced, except in the psyche of the patriarchy.

4. Good on Sally Bolton for proving to you that perhaps women are capable of operating in a man's world. Welcome to 2014.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

I'll wait and see what happens before getting giddy.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

2. Why be offensive in relation to Gary and Kath?

3. She is married to the man, not dangling from strings held by him. Also, The Married Women's Property Act of 1893 saw to it that the club will belong to Mrs K and her property will remain her own. No more do we, or our property, belong to our husband once marriage has commenced, except in the psyche of the patriarchy.

4. Good on Sally Bolton for proving to you that perhaps women are capable of operating in a man's world. Welcome to 2014.

Did you make all that stuff about women up?
If true it certainly explains why the country is going down the pan, we should never have allowed them to vote

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

obviously playing RL bingo...oldham,swinton now bradford...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#15 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

For me its no more a conflict of interest than the situation at Leeds and Wakey with Gary and Kath Hetherington. 

Best of luck to Mrs Koukash.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#16 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

"You don't marry the first girl you meet. You go out with them, you sleep with them, you try them, but don't commit to the long-term relationship until you're sure she's a Bradford Bulls fan."

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

4. A woman owner would be an interesting development and, if Sally Bolton is any guide, a successful one.

Just like if Ian Lenegan is any guide, Omar Khan would have been a successful owner...

Did you make all that stuff about women up?
If true it certainly explains why the country is going down the pan, we should never have allowed them to vote

I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek when you say that...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

I think its good for rugby league. Any money or investment tht we can get is much welcomed. Wether tht be as a game or for a single club. We are in the dark ages conpared to other sports, so lets invite interest in our sport with open arms. I know if i owned a team and my misses did then i defo wouldnt have a say on what happend at her club as much as id like too.

#19 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

Has the good Doctors wife got her own personnal fortune as well then? Or is this years of housekeeping money that's she's kept under the mattress? If its Marwen's £ paying the bills then its his club and that shouldn't be allowed I'm affraid.

#20 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Has the good Doctors wife got her own personnal fortune as well then? Or is this years of housekeeping money that's she's kept under the mattress? If its Marwen's £ paying the bills then its his club and that shouldn't be allowed I'm affraid.

Fortunately, it's now 2014 and not 1894, so your old fashioned rubbish rather misses the point.

People called Romans they go the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users