Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Karl Olstrum

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Workington Town player Karl Olstrum has been charged with a Grade C offence of striking with the knee in the 75th minute of the Championship fixture at Barrow Raiders on Sunday March 9. He will appear before the Disciplinary Board on the evening of Tuesday 18th March 2014. Grade C is a probable 2 - 3 match suspension offence.

Edited by Supporter, 13 March 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#2 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Probably 3 based on his previous record. Why do that in the 75th minute??

Edited by GeordieTownie, 13 March 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#3 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

If found guilty, he would certainly miss the Keighley and Dewsbury matches, with the pessimistic possibility of either missing the April 6th Challenge Cup match ( If we win on Saturday) or the Sheffield game (if we lose on Saturday). On the positive side, whatever happens, he will be available for the Whitehaven match on April 18th.

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

He's a hard player who gives real starch to our defence and makes tough carries , but that short fuse does cause bother for him and the team at times . Maybe a time to get Peter back to what has always been his natural position , as 6 is starting to look a bit more hard work for him . Mcavoy if you want the defensive option ? Or Duerden a chance . If it goes against Karl that is .

Edited by DavidM, 13 March 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#5 Fat lad

Fat lad
  • Workington
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Stuff happens Karl is a great player and he will get bans but you need his aggression so life goes on

#6 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'm not saying he isn't a great player but 'stuff' doesn't have to happen

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

How come this has never been mentioned before now?     

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

How come this has never been mentioned before now?

Exactly what I thought

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

One position where we have plenty of cover. I would put stack there with Brett and Liam at 2nd row.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#10 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

One position where we have plenty of cover. I would put stack there with Brett and Liam at 2nd row.

Not a bad shout

#11 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

That would solve a problem good choice

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Must have been video review panel or some such thing

#13 Alineden

Alineden
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

What about Dan Rooney he's got loose forward written all over him.

#14 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Must have been video review panel or some such thing

Can't remember anything being put on report but I can remember a bit of an incident late on, where a barrow player went down and seemed to be holding his face, barrow fans I was sat with thought it looked a bit naughty.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think we'll all be interested to see what Veivers does with Dan . We thought we had a special talent in that glimpse we saw before his injury . It was a long long time and it must have affected him . Since his comeback he's played in the middle off the bench a bit , but he seems to have stalled a bit .He needs a set position and a run in the team , as with the natural talent we saw he should be established in a side like ours . After such a setback it's still early days , and I hope as the season goes on he hits his straps and becomes a key weapon for us week in week out , wherever it may be . Id still be interested in seeing if he's still a championship centre , as that's a spot still up for grabs?

Edited by DavidM, 14 March 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#16 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 824 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

If Karl played for a super dooper league club he would have no case to answer!!!!!

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

It does seem that way . If Mcilorum played in champ one he'd be semi-permanently banned !!

#18 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

There's no doubting dan rooney is the best tackler in our squad. The hits he puts in are huge. And whilst he was at centre at the start of his town career he was notching a few tries. I think he's a very good talent and should be a town regular at centre along with Kayle who has stepped up this year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users