Brothers NRL Bid

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

A thread for all the news from the Brothers NRL bid.

First off, a newly released promo video.

brothers_zps5b3e088e.jpg

#2 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Stirring video there.

Who are these brothers. What's the basis of their bid. I assume, rightly or wrongly, that they would have a base. Or are they talking about being based in different centres.

In QLD?

Leprecauns? Irish Qlders?

This taster vid set more questions than it gives answers.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#3 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Brothers were a fellow BRL club to Valleys Diehards, won 9 BRL Premierships and were a big rival. They have a strong supporter base even still and offer plenty in tradition. 

http://en.wikipedia....i/Past_Brothers

Edited by DlEHARD, 14 March 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for that Diehard

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Brothers were a fellow BRL club to Valleys Diehards, won 9 BRL Premierships and were a big rival. They have a strong supporter base even still and offer plenty in tradition. 

http://en.wikipedia....i/Past_Brothers

Any successful Brisbane "2" bid would have to play out of suncorp wouldn't they?

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Any successful Brisbane "2" bid would have to play out of suncorp wouldn't they?

I noticed they had some exterior shots of Suncorp in their promo video - linked to above

#7 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

This is a no-brainer for the NRL. Everyone knows Brothers Christian clubs throughout our history here in Australia, and they would become one of the biggest clubs in Australia alongside the Broncos and Parramatta. 

You would have to have rocks in your head not to tap into their massive fan base, probably close to the biggest in Australian sport. 

Everyone who knows of rugby, knows the Brothers. 

Throw some huge sponsors behind them from the Bombers bid and you will have a club who would be a huge force and huge crowds for the NRL, instant success, compared to trying to build a club from nothing. 

Brothers are well loved, and well repected and always been a shining example of hard graft and fairness. 

As soon as i heard about the Brothers bid i gave no other a thought, if you want success, then Brothers will be Brisbanes second team playing out of Suncorp, you can base them anywhere as well, that is the beauty of the Brothers bid, where as other bids your looking for a area which will never be the right area to place a new bid team. 

I would put them at Mt Gravatt and turn QE11 into their clubhouse training ground. The old Broncos playing field. Here is another video from their facebook page. 

https://www.facebook...&type=2

Edited by oikee, 15 March 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#8 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

This could be a little scary for some to look at, but here is a current team made up by players who came through the Brothers system. 

Billy Slater (Storm) Innisfail Brothers

Justin O'Neill (Storm) Townsville Brothers

Junior S'au (Storm) Logan Brothers

Antonio Winterstein (Cowboys) Logan Brothers

Gerard Beale (Dragons) Logan Brothers

Michael Morgan (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers

Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly) Mackay Brothers

Corey Parker (Broncos) Logan Brothers

Aiden Guerra (Roosters) Townsville Brothers

Sam Thaiday (Broncos) Townsville Brothers

Cameron Smith (Storm) Logan Brothers

David Shillington (Raiders) Brisbane Brothers

Will Zillman (Titans) Rochedale Brothers

Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers

Anthony Mitchell (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers

Scott Bolton (Cowboys) Innisfail Brothers

18th man:

Lote Tuqiri (Tigers) Logan Brothers

#9 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

The Brothers bid team say they would have 30,000 members if a NRL licence was granted

brothersw_zps0b38ab36.jpg

THE Brothers bid team say they would expect to pull as many as 30,000 members in the first year after they were given an NRL licence.

Bid team chief Justin Barlow said they want to draw on the 30 Brothers clubs in 17 cities to provide what he says would a unique pathway where a five-year-old can start at a Brothers club and progress to playing for a Brothers NRL club, helped along the way to become a “gentleman’’.

Barlow said he has major financial backers for their bid, which he said is at “investment point’’.

He said the investors, whose identity he would not confirm, understood the not-for-profit model for the proposed NRL club, which would be majority-owned by members.

A Brothers entry to the NRL would play at least eight home games at Suncorp Stadium and as many as four matches at regional grounds. Queensland bid rivals include the Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, Central Queensland and Redcliffe.

Former Origin player Matt Adamson goes over all of the weekends NRL action and the retirement of Broncos youngster Jharal Yow Yeh.
 “We could put a team on the field in 2018 at a lower level or possibly 2018 at the NRL, which coincides with the new broadcast deal,’’ Barlow said.

“We will see what the NRL says. There may even be a two-tier competition, with, like with the English Premier League, promotion and relegation, and we can work with that.

“One of our key next steps is to meet with them and understand where they want the game to go.

“We can present an option where we can service Brisbane and we can service the western corridor, (regional Queensland) and Northern Territory.

“NRL teams play games (in the premiership in recent years in Cairns and Mackay), but we would not be working in the regional centres on a fly in, fly out basis.’’

The Brisbane bid team had a launch at a New Farm hotel on Thursday attended by former Brisbane Brothers international David Wright and the 1987 premiership captain Trevor Bailey.

Barlow updated a meeting of Confraternity of Brothers delegates at Ipswich last weekend on progress of meeting with regional councils and said they were cautious about protecting the integrity of the “Brothers brand’’.

Brothers clubs have 12,000 juniors and among Queensland currently starring in the NRL Brothers juniors include Cam Smith, Daly Cherry-Evans, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker.

“We are ready. We can really make up some ground,’’ Barlow said.

The team’s administrative base would be at the Brothers Grange licenced club in Brisbane with plans for three regional junior academies at Cairns, Rockhampton and one servicing young players at the Ipswich, Logan and Toowoomba districts.

Edited by DlEHARD, 17 March 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#10 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:03 AM

Of course they would get 30 thousand. I would sign up and become a member as i have always had a soft-spot for Brothers and my dad was a Brethren as well. 

It is funny how things like this can influence people. I played for the Roosters up here in Toowoomba as a kid and was a big Freddie Fitler fan growing up. 

The Brothers would go a long way to reuniting the game, and if the NRL are looking at anything at the moment, it is feel good stories and bringing back disillusioned fans and bush areas. 

I just hope when they come back they replicate that tunnel where the flags are flying and cheer-girls and members all lined up for every game. 

The NRL need to start bringing back what really made this game great, made you feel proud to support our game. 

At the moment is is run like a broken down busted billy-kart that nobody has a clue how to get it running right. 

Someone from the outside needs to step in and say look, before you kill the game completely, do this and this and the game will grow and the crowds will return. 

We just had St Patrick's week here in Brisbane last weekend, could you imagine a Brisbane Broncos verse Brisbane Brothers St Patrick's day "Battle of Brisbane 1" derby between these two teams out of Suncorp, with a return visit and "Battle of Brisbane11" at a later date during the season, say just after Origin finishes. 

Gee whiz, what does the NRL want, a detailed map with x marks the spot treasure map. 

Gee whiz, this is bread and butter stuff for any code, it is waiting waiting for the NRL to pull the trigger on expansion and Brisbane, what are they waiting for, the second coming. ? geez. 

This is a no-brainer. 

Edited by oikee, 18 March 2014 - 02:26 AM.

#11 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

I was one of the people back in the late 1970's that said the Sydney & Brisbane comps should merge into a 2 tiered comp with promotion and relegation each year. I think it would of been a far better way to go than what they did in 1988 bring in a Brisbane and Gold Coast side, all it did was kill off a very successful Brisbane comp. Not a smart thing in my book.

Good luck to Brothers with their bid attempt.

Edited by R L Winger, 18 March 2014 - 03:15 AM.

Posted Image

#12 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

I was one of the people back in the late 1970's that said the Sydney & Brisbane comps should merge into a 2 tiered comp with promotion and relegation each year. I think it would of been a far better way to go than what they did in 1988 bring in a Brisbane and Gold Coast side, all it did was kill off a very successful Brisbane comp. Not a smart thing in my book.

Good luck to Brothers with their bid attempt.

You were probably right. Let's be honest, the way rugby league ended up was and is a disaster. 

We had teams all over the country, then we went backwards. 

To go forward is easy, real easy if they have the guts to get it right. 

And yes, relegation for only the Sydney clubs would work now. 

Not for Brisbane, we cant disrupt what we have now, a great Queensland comp that was built after the Broncos destroyed the Brisbane comp. 

No, we need to bring in Brothers and that will bring back goodwill, and create a instant huge rivalry for the Broncos, and the fans will return. 

The Queensland cup teams are fine being feeder teams for the NRL clubs. 

Most of these clubs are not big enough to enter the NrL, they would struggle, as would this so-called Bombers bid, who has a connection to the Bombers. ? Nobody, nada not a nicker, and that would be the excuse not to follow them. 

The NRL needs  to not get caught up in corporate sponsors nonsense of this Bombers bid. It could just kill off rugby league in Brisbane if fans again walk away. 

Brothers, a no-brainer. If the NRL stuff this up i think i will walk away. 

Relegation for Sydney teams would probably work well. You could even have it every 2 or 3 years, no need to have relegation every year. 

I am not worried, they can do many things, move teams, realign teams, change boundaries even change clubs names. 

Manly will never grow under the name Manly, they will always be small because that name is a waterfront suburb. 

Most dont connect with that. Unlike the Sydney Roosters, the South Sydney Rabbits, Parra has a huge city, and the Panthers also have a huge area. 

The Tigers need sorting out.,,,, Sharks, basketcase. 

Rant over. thats it, said enough on this subject, it is wearing me out. I would hate to work for the NRL, my head would be jelly. 

Edited by oikee, 18 March 2014 - 03:36 AM.

#13 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Yea the Derby needs to be called The Battle for Brisbane.

#14 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

Former Brisbane Broncos hooker John Driscoll has joined the Brothers NRL bid team

113404-f8f489f2-ad71-11e3-ab00-db71cb218
Former Bronco John Driscoll has joined the Brothers NRL bid team. Photo: Josh Woning

TWO decades ago, Brothers helped launch his NRL career.

Now, former Brisbane Bronco John Driscoll is repaying the favour after he was last week revealed as one of three directors of the Brothers NRL bid team.

For the past year, Driscoll has been working in secret alongside bid chief Justin Barlow and fellow director Byron Cannon on the audacious plan for the Brethren to enter the NRL, with the ARL Commission expected to hand out two new licenses for the 2018 season.

The franchise would draw on the network of more than 40 Brothers clubs across Queensland and NSW, including Stafford-based Brothers Juniors, and base its administration and training headquarters at Brothers Grange Community Sports Club.

The team would play majority of its games at Suncorp Stadium, but take at least four home matches to regional areas boasting Brothers clubs.

Driscoll, a partner at accounting firm Altezza Partners in the city, played all his junior football with Brothers Rockhampton before joining the Broncos and playing 32 NRL games between 1994 and 1999.

114760-b390d002-ad74-11e3-822b-40060a3f0
Driscoll playing for Brothers in the Queensland Cup in 1998.

With his passion for the famous butcher stripes burning as strong as ever, he felt drawn to the “concept of the bid”.

“My attraction to this wasn’t throwing money at something so the fans would come; the way that it had been positioned and packaged was that all that you were doing was trying to unite existing infrastructure. That concept, I felt it had immediate legs,” Driscoll said.

“I know Justin and I know he has the ability to bring this together so I had faith in him being the right person to control it and guide it. I just reached out to Justin and asked him if I could be involved, if I could assist purely from an interest point of view.

“I’ve never really had an inclination to be a coach or a trainer however I’ve always had a corporate interest and seeing that as somewhere I could help. The underlying concept around the brand, the fan base, the feeder clubs being all the football clubs, it just makes perfect sense.”

Barlow, who helped build the Gold Coast Suns, said the bid team was currently seeking investors as it liaises with NRL powerbrokers on how best to shape its submission.

“(Having the Confraternity of Brothers Club) means we can immediately establish the fan base. They’re waiting to be mobilised, this is the opportunity to mobilise them,” Barlow said.

“We’re not bound by geography, we’re not just going to be relevant to one area. From a business perspective, we can grow those commercial opportunities continuously.”

The ARL Commission is expected to announce expansion plans before the 2015 season.

#15 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

We just had St Patrick's week here in Brisbane last weekend, could you imagine a Brisbane Broncos verse Brisbane Brothers St Patrick's day "Battle of Brisbane 1" derby between these two teams out of Suncorp, with a return visit and "Battle of Brisbane11" at a later date during the season, say just after Origin finishes. 

No one has St Patricks week, do they? It used to be a day. Now you want to turn this fake event into an NRL rivalry.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users