Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

14/03/14 - Wigan Warriors v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan Warriors (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Draw (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Hull Kingston Rovers (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

3 years of Leneghan selling wigan's best players and trying to replace them with kids and cheap buys looks like its catching up on them.

It's not that at all.

Wigan success over the past 4 years have been based around 2 players. Sam Tomkins and Sean O Loughlin. I do not people realise how good these two players are, they are to Wigan what Cronk, Smith and Slater are to Melbourne. If you took them 3 out Melbourne would be in the bottom four of the NRL.

Pretty much everyone in the Wigan team apart from them two has been interchangeable. From Leuleuai and Finch being replaced by Smith and Green. From many forwards being swapped around. The losses of Hock, Carmont, Lima (who is absolutely shocking now) Hoffman or whoever else were all just minor parts in the Wigan machine. The machine for the last four years has well and truly revolved around Tomkins and O Loughlin. They are world class and would make a huge impact at most NRL sides between them.

Removing one of those players and starting a season with one of them injured (and IMO carrying an injury whilst playing) is going to result in a huge transition period for the club. It was always come to happen everyone knew it. Lenaghan will of known but name 2 players in SL who could replace Tomkins and O Loughlin? There isn't any.

Wigan will be back at the top in 2 years time when Hampshire, Williams, Powell, Burgess, Bateman, Hughes, Crosby all come into their own. But for now it's 5th - 8th rugby and I do not think there is much they can do about it.

#62 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

WIGAN are poor and will struggle to beat any of the top four. Rovers need to get more from Weyman, Poore and Costigan. Larroyer is a real gem, 80 mins solid tackling. Burns needs to match Keating in his play.We need to get Hodgson, Gleeson, Hall, Caro, Johnie Walker and Lovegrove back in the squad and play Keal Carlile. Other than that roll on the Challenge Cup!

#63 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Rovers improving week on week.

Season starts with Bradford and Wakey at home.

Then THE DERBY to look forward to.

Third successive second half battering.

The Bradford and Wakefield games are beginning to look very important for Rovers' season and Sandercock's career prospects.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#64 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Anyways regarding the game:

Keating and Weyman were impressive for KR. The amount of Aussies who come over here and appear disinterested is startling. Both really gave it a go and impressed me. Unlike Poore who is awful.

Gardner was poor. Although his centres don't help him. I think he need to drop down a division into the centres IMO. He's been a work horse for Saints but his SL career is slowly dieing. It's a shame because he's been a very good player over the years.

Bowen showed more signs of class. He's got an elusive step about him but his acceleration isn't the best. He pretty much personifies the transition period for Wigan in my opinion.

Bateman has something about him which just oozes class. I say it time and time again and I don't know what it is. He has a bit of an extra step and bit of pace for a forward which seems to make him be better in the collision.

Charnley was very poor. He seems off form this year. His game will have to be upped tthough with Tomkins leaving but he doesn't seem to have risen to the plate. Burgess looks more exciting than him.

Ben Flower was exceptional. He's been increasing his level of performance for some time now. His work rate was exceptional.

Hull KR will finish comfortably above the relegation places due to their forwards and their half backs can kick and organise. Their defence isn't good enough for any more than that. Wigan as I say 5th - 8th. I hope the exposure of their kids helps their development this season rather than hinders it.

#65 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Sorry RSN but wigans success was built on having a team with great players right through the team,the 2010 side should have been built on,departing players replaced like for like and 1 or 2 juniors brought into the side each season.instead we have let our best players go several mid contract and now we are faced with a 1 or 2 season rebuilding programme.the likes of James/pettybourne/clubb/dudson should have been no way near appearing in a Wigan shirt.

#66 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Is Liam Farrell turning into the Ben Westwood penalty machine?

#67 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Sorry RSN but wigans success was built on having a team with great players, right through the team,the 2010 side should have been built on,departing players replaced like for like and 1 or 2 juniors brought into the side each season.instead we have let our best players go several mid contract and now we are faced with a 1 or 2 season rebuilding programme.the likes of James/pettybourne/clubb/dudson should have been no way near appearing in a Wigan shirt.

No it wasn't. Check over the last 4 years the win percentages of Wigan with Tomkins and O Loughlin and without. It's actually scary. If you bet on the handicaps against Wigan when either Tomkins or O Loughlin were missing starting four years ago you'd of been a very rich man.

James and Dudson played for Wigan last year. Pettybourne and Clubb are arguably better than a lot of the forwards who played last year. They won the double last year. What has changed this year?

#68 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Think you will find James played in championship 2 last year and no clubb and pettybourne are not better than Hanson,Mossop.There are still good signings to be made if there is the will to do it,Masoe,Walsh,Amor at saints,Weyman,Costigen at KR etc

#69 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

I know Wigan have lost players and have got players missing through injuries and now one suspended,but I wonder if the WCC should be played at this particular part of the season.The team that plays in this game their early season seems to dip.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#70 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Is that one win in 12 for Rovers now ?

#71 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Please carry on writing Wigan off.

#72 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Please carry on writing Wigan off.

Not this Saint.  ;) Wigan took both major trophies last season and yet not expected to do so, given the exodus of quality players.

I stand corrected on attendances. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 15 March 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#73 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

What was last nights attendance?

#74 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

In  opinion Wigan are the most famous rugby Town/club.However The tv cameras do seem to focus on the Wigan fans at a certain part of a game when they leaving especially at home

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 15 March 2014 - 02:45 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#75 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,831 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

That's better.... an afternoon away and I come back to a whole inbox full of messages from people pointing out lots of different things in this thread.  Rather than try to use a scalpel to get rid of the dross I took a fairly broad brush.  That means I undoubtedly caught some posts that were otherwise fine and from good posters.  Sorry, but I'd be here all week trying to sort it out otherwise.

Some people should remember that they're on two warnings already and the forum is set to auto-ban anyone getting their third.  I don't even need to hit that nice ban button...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#76 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

What was last nights attendance?

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.