League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

15/03/14 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. London Broncos (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (12 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Is that a record low SL crowd?

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#42 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Second lowest. An official attendance of 500 was recorded for Paris v Salford in 1997. Definitely the lowest on UK soil though.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Wakey's crowds are due to restrictions put upon them by health and safety

Only if the crowd hits the restriction limit. They aren't doing "all ticket" yet you may notice?

Anyway back to London and their declining crowds are typical of any club in big trouble whether Halifax or Paris. Fans don't rally round big time losers.

#44 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Only if the crowd hits the restriction limit. They aren't doing "all ticket" yet you may notice?

Anyway back to London and their declining crowds are typical of any club in big trouble whether Halifax or Paris. Fans don't rally round big time losers.

Our first 2 home matches were Bradford (Thursday night) and Catalans who both bring little away support + our pre season strife and form. I expect a bigger crowd against saints with our recent form and new signings

#45 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Probably one for another thread rather than commenting on this game but the same old argument keeps coming about needing Broncos to be supported when what it really needs is for a 2nd Greater London club. Local derbies bring out the fighting spirit and support. Would the Premier League be the same if there was just West Ham in the capital.

A Skolars vs Broncos match would crack the 1000 attendance 3 or 4 times over.

#46 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

The club won't go anywhere with the people in charge. It needs a complete overhaul. When you've lost faith, you've lost the custom.

Drop to the Championship with an overhaul would be the best thing for London. Get out of the headlines for a bit. Give time for people to forget. Put together a decent plan and try to get back in with some momentum.

You can't keep chucking an injured player on the pitch and expect them to perform.
Posted Image

#47 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Personally I think Skolars need leaving out of anything to do with the Broncos as they've been ticking along nicely at the level they're at. Would be better off cutting our losses as Broncos are headed to 3 figure crowds and instead looking to bring in C1 clubs in West London and Medway giving us 5 South East based semi-pro clubs which would be a base to build up from at least to Championship level. If we are to have a Championship SL side next season would actually be preferable for the RFL to invest in Skolars and bump them up a division

#48 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

You could always disband the club, set up numerous clubs around London and have the Broncos be a regional rep club, similar to Cumbria.
Posted Image

#49 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

You could always disband the club, set up numerous clubs around London and have the Broncos be a regional rep club, similar to Cumbria.

You wouldn't want the regional rep side to be the Broncos

#50 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Probably one for another thread rather than commenting on this game but the same old argument keeps coming about needing Broncos to be supported when what it really needs is for a 2nd Greater London club. Local derbies bring out the fighting spirit and support. Would the Premier League be the same if there was just West Ham in the capital.

A Skolars vs Broncos match would crack the 1000 attendance 3 or 4 times over.

You miss the point that Skolars and Broncos share the same smattering of spectators already, along with Hemel and Oxford. Non of theses clubs are locked in to the civic rivalries that exist in the teams with a history dating back to the late 19th and early 20th century. 

The same faces appear at all 4, very few would fall into the target demographics of a sport looking to grow new support.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

The club won't go anywhere with the people in charge. It needs a complete overhaul. When you've lost faith, you've lost the custom.

Drop to the Championship with an overhaul would be the best thing for London. Get out of the headlines for a bit. Give time for people to forget. Put together a decent plan and try to get back in with some momentum.

You can't keep chucking an injured player on the pitch and expect them to perform.

Would you apply the same rationale to Bradford?

#52 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

22 - 50

Mathers gets his fourth of the game, kick to come

I stick by the post i made several weeks ago, and that is the Broncos will not win a league game this season.

Londons decline is not doing Rugby League any favours outside the M62 corridor.

#53 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

You miss the point that Skolars and Broncos share the same smattering of spectators already, along with Hemel and Oxford. Non of theses clubs are locked in to the civic rivalries that exist in the teams with a history dating back to the late 19th and early 20th century.

The same faces appear at all 4, very few would fall into the target demographics of a sport looking to grow new support.

I agree to some extent but I disagree when it comes to Stags/Skolars.The fans, to my mind, are quite distinct.I go to as many Stags games as I can and then maybe 4/5 Skolars games on top & there is nearly no overlap.Added to that an undoubted growing needle between the two clubs and I think there's a cracking rivalry building up.Perhaps 80% of Skolars fans are Broncos fans & 40% of Stags fans are but they're not the same people.I also get the feeling a larger % of Stags fans are new to the sport, more Hemel natives than Wood Green natives for example.

#54 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I stick by the post i made several weeks ago, and that is the Broncos will not win a league game this season.

Londons decline is not doing Rugby League any favours outside the M62 corridor.

Yeah I think you could chuck a SL club into any 200,000-300,000 population town in the south or midlands of England and get triple the crowds (probably still not enough mind). The expansion at Championship 1 level is doing better than expected and hopefully North Wales can establish themselves in the second tier as say another Sheffield

#55 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Went to the game on Sat, v easy to get to,nice ground, however I would say sadly for Broncos that it says something when more Wakefield fans travelled down for the game than Broncos fans did. I fear the dye is cast for London.

#56 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Went to the game on Sat, v easy to get to,nice ground, however I would say sadly for Broncos that it says something when more Wakefield fans travelled down for the game than Broncos fans did. I fear the dye is cast for London.

What it SAYS is that after 3 years of getting hammered week in week out the owner has paid of the aussie Origin and GF players who wern't putting a shift in and started from scratch again. Unfortunately he didn't make his mind up to continue in 2014 until all the best players who were originally available had been signed by other clubs. Now TR has had to sign players on Loan and not upto SL standard to add to our academy players who are not yet ready for SL with the result that the hammerings continue. Hence we all see relegation as a fast aproaching certainty and with the SL teams having a huge advantage over the CC teams in Nigel's new playoffs next season all Broncos fans know its the end of the road. Its all very simple really and how so many people can't grasp it shows how little anyone outside the M25 understand whats really going  on, other than the usual jingoism's about why we should get bigger crowds despite how bad the team is playing. Im sure if other clubs had gone what we have for the past 3 years and were now faced with extinction of their club they would not be pouring their ground in their usual numbers especially when the ground has been relocated some distance further from its main supporter base.

#57 Magic XIII

Magic XIII
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

What it SAYS is that after 3 years of getting hammered week in week out the owner has paid of the aussie Origin and GF players who wern't putting a shift in and started from scratch again. Unfortunately he didn't make his mind up to continue in 2014 until all the best players who were originally available had been signed by other clubs. Now TR has had to sign players on Loan and not upto SL standard to add to our academy players who are not yet ready for SL with the result that the hammerings continue. Hence we all see relegation as a fast aproaching certainty and with the SL teams having a huge advantage over the CC teams in Nigel's new playoffs next season all Broncos fans know its the end of the road. Its all very simple really and how so many people can't grasp it shows how little anyone outside the M25 understand whats really going  on, other than the usual jingoism's about why we should get bigger crowds despite how bad the team is playing. Im sure if other clubs had gone what we have for the past 3 years and were now faced with extinction of their club they would not be pouring their ground in their usual numbers especially when the ground has been relocated some distance further from its main supporter base.

Spot on.

Its disturbing that so many people seem incapable of joining the dots.

It has been challenging to support this club for a few year's now, I guess now we need to make the most of it.

#58 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Got an e mail from the RFL today offering half price (£6.00) tickets for Skolars against Oldham.  I have never had any contact either from Broncos directly, or the RFL encouraging me to go along.

I've been to two of their three home games this season, and while quite happy to pay the £17.00 to stand, I paid less to watch the WC Quarter Final and double header semi. 

#59 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

London Broncos need t start planning for the Championship now. Hughes needs to decide if he's up for another few years and if so, he needs to establish exactly what he wants to achieve in the way of a lasting legacy, because currently, all he has to show for his stand alone ownership since 2008 is just shy of a

£14,000,000 hole in his bank balance (based on a reduced £1,000,000 investment this year).

Firstly, he needs to commit a certain amount of time and a finite amount of money to the endeavour.

He then needs to put I place, people who have the skills needed to deliver the goals he has set.

Realising that promotion is not going to be probable, I believe that a club that is both potentially self sustaining as well as appealing to an investor/benefactor should be his aim.

Knowing him, he'll spend heavily trying to bounce straight back up and then get disillusioned again in a few years and walk..... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users