TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

New signing announced

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

The Bulldogs confirmed the capture of prop/second-rower Charlie Martin from Castleford Tigers on Friday.

The 22 year-old has been released by our Super League neighbours to link up with John Kear's squad ahead of Saturday's Challenge Cup tie with Kells at the LRL.com Stadium.

Martin made his Super League bow with Castleford on Easter Monday 2013 at St Helens and then joined up with both Featherstone Rovers and Keighley Cougars in order to get more game time, as well as racking up 6 appearances for the Tigers.

Possessing deceptive pace and power, Martin is expected to make a big impact at Batley.

#2 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Good player, but don't we need backs.......?

#3 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

we have a winger and centre suspended for the season,a fullback and centre potentially injured for tomorrow and we sign a prop or secondrower?

am i missing something?

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#4 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

I think this is a good signing, but we do need one or two more in areas where we are shall we say more exposed!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#5 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Its backs we are despirate for, what the hells kear thinking

#6 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.

For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

#7 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I agree that Batley need backs urgently but the pack also needs better players if Batley are to finish in the top nine. Brennan's not fit/good enough, Leary is not big enough to play on a regular basis and Aspinwall is going to need time to adapt to Championship standard Rugby League. 

I would assume this signing will be the first of at least three new signings.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#8 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Good signing for the team but why oh why are we signing forwards when we have no threequarters. The teams in our division will soon learn that if they spin it wide we are in trouble as Doncaster did via Paul Cooke. Or is it all part of a master plan ? As they say trust in Kear but this one had me scratching my head.

#9 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.

For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

No one is having a go at the club for making signings. But if the plan is to play him in the centre then again it is putting a forward into a key position. We need a out and out centre and a winger to replace our absent freinds

#10 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Chandler to centre and martin on bench with scott and davies in second row kear aint daft there..

#11 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

I agree about Chandler moving to centre.

#12 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think he is more of a second rower/centre than a prop. Calm down peeps... It seems like the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the moment.For the record I agree that we could do with an out and out centre/winger.

he plays prop and 2nd row not centre

#13 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Chandler to centre and martin on bench with scott and davies in second row kear aint daft there..

The last time i looked Chandler was a forward i may be wrong. By all means try him there on Saturday we should be OK, no disrespect to Kells. But it does not solve our problem. If we are to challenge the best we need PACE.  

#14 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

The last time i looked Chandler was a forward i may be wrong. By all means try him there on Saturday we should be OK, no disrespect to Kells. But it does not solve our problem. If we are to challenge the best we need PACE.

second row centre/wing

#15 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Good signing. Kear can only sign who is available

#16 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

A very pacey young man with similar mental attributes to the half back who went to Featherstone. Played a couple or three games for Keighley on loan and their fans were mesmerised.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#17 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Good signing for you,he was one player that stood out for cas when we played them in pre season friendly!

#18 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I like him

#19 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Its backs we are despirate for, what the hells kear thinking

If there are no affordable backs of sufficient quality currently available, Kear can't sign them, can he?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#20 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Surely its not only kears responsibility to bring lads in. What if the funds arent being released. Nobody likes agents but money talks and more time on the motorway for a player will probably be compensated in the wallet

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users