Contreversial idea to address p & r!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

With all the arguments for and against relegation it seems that half of the fans are never gonna be pleased one way or the other. A post on another thread about French RL got me thinking. Someone suggested that (here should be teams based on regions in France entering SL just like Catalans
with all local teams in that region acting as feeder
teams in an elite 1 type league. Could this work in
UK?

What about teams such as West Yorks, East
Yorks, Greater Manchester, Merseyside/
Chesire,Cumbria,London etc competing in a
competition with no p & r. Club teams could still
exist in a national/regional structure so no one
would have to merge, and these teams could act as feeder clubs to the their regional side which would give squad players and young players a competive competiton to play when not selected.

Would this help create an elite structure and increase standards?
Would fans support this?
Would it be more attractive to TV, sponsors, media?
Is it a non starter?

#2 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Any idea that mentions feeder clubs is a non starter.

#3 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

I doubt fans would support this. East Yorks, Greater Manchester arn't really areas to get behind. Fans tend to support clubs

#4 jlawton21

jlawton21
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

I think the big clubs are too big to be overtaken by county sides. However, I've often wondered wether a Cumbria team in Super League could work, forming a partnership with Barrow, Whitehaven and Workington.

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Basically you're talking mergers...
Posted Image

#6 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I don't think fans would be too happy about mergers. 

#7 nkpom

nkpom
  • Coach
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Feel like its 1995 all over again! Are you Mighty Mo? When this was an option back then, the "Greater Manchester" clubs couldn't even agree on a venue to discuss the options!

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

It has worked well in Welsh RU so why not?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

I'm not talking mergers so the clubs wouldn't have to agree as they would run seperate from the clubs. The clubs would still exist but there would be an elite competition based on regions above the club game. P and R wouldn't be needed so each team could grow all aspects of their business without the threat of relegation.Any teams from development areas could play in a merit type league until deemed ready to join the set up. All squad players and young players coming out of the academy could be dual registered with the club teams within their region which would help their development and keep everybody match fit.
Games could be played on Friday and Saturday with club games reverting back to their traditional Sunday slot. This would stop clashes between regional matches and club matches so both could be attended if required.

#10 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

So with your idea. My club Keighley could not play in top div.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,041 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

So with your idea. My club Keighley could not play in top div.

Nobodies club would.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

one question .

which ground would the west Yorkshire club play at .

we all know that only the fans from the original club at the ground chosen would turn up for most games . I mean can you imagine cas or Bradford fans turning up to support a team based at headingley  . if based at the only other ground in west yorks fit for purpose  Huddersfield  I doubt many would go there either

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#13 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Nobodies club would.

And thats why it will never work.

#14 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

I get the impression that this idea would fail miserably! It was just an idea as an alternative i'm not even convinced myself, especially after the responses!
What would be the best structure to follow?
3 x 8, 2 up 2 down, franchising, p and r on a 3 year cycle, other suggestions?

#15 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

just have two leagues of ten playing each other three times with one up one down all we need.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#16 jlawton21

jlawton21
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

Id have two leagues of 10 playing 18 games. 1 up, 1 down and more french clubs included as there would be more funding for clubs in the lower division.
18 games leaves more space for internationals and world club. NRL could also reduce weekly rounds.

#17 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Whether it's 3 x 8 or 2 x 10 I think more money should have been allocated to teams outside the top tier. This is the only way p and r will work because teams would then be able to move between the 2 leagues without major upheavel each time.

#18 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

I get the impression that this idea would fail miserably! It was just an idea as an alternative i'm not even convinced myself, especially after the responses!
What would be the best structure to follow?
3 x 8, 2 up 2 down, franchising, p and r on a 3 year cycle, other suggestions?

Why don't we wait and see how 3x8 system goes before talking of a follow up structure. It's not even started yet!
Posted Image

#19 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

It has worked well in Welsh RU so why not?

Has it worked well in Welsh RU? Take the national team out of the equation and it seems to me their domestic scene is getting weaker year on year.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Whether it's 3 x 8 or 2 x 10 I think more money should have been allocated to teams outside the top tier. This is the only way p and r will work because teams would then be able to move between the 2 leagues without major upheaval each time.

The current SKY TV money could be spread 24 equal ways for 2 x 12 at £1.3M per club per year.

The top clubs of the 24 clubs turn over over £6M the bottom clubs in the 24 turn over less that £1M.

Promotion and relegation would still likely most depend on who has rich backers and who doesn't.

No Different to now, try as many permutations and financing of the exact same thing applied to the exact same clubs and you probably get little variance.

Except that top players wages will be cut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users