#RLtrialstar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ERM

ERM
  • Twitter
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

How much unearthed and missed talent do we have taking the field all over the UK every week?

We are proposing residential trials held in the North and South for players aged 16 1/2 to 23

We need to build interest then can get plans in motion

We are hoping to provide a platform for SL Clubs and Championship Clubs to take notice 

@EliteRugbMngmnt

Any thoughts on if such a project will work?

#2 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

I think its a great idea as most of the time now lads develope at a later age and if ur foots not in the door of a club by the age of 16-18 then there isnt much chance of making it. Even if a player is blessed with real talent as teams see it as "if he was good someone else would of snapped them up already or at a younger age. Loads of talent tht could make it pro that play amateur each week. Given the oppurtunity of full time training and a chance to get ther foot in the door would surely reel dividends to the talent pool of english talent.

#3 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

Sorry for my punctuation and grammar, i have fat thumbs and am typing on my mobile

#4 ERM

ERM
  • Twitter
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

Agree entirely Leighton10

We are after some feedback from the rugby community and to get some interest growing in our ideas and plans.

#5 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

How much unearthed and missed talent do we have taking the field all over the UK every week?

We are proposing residential trials held in the North and South for players aged 16 1/2 to 23

We need to build interest then can get plans in motion

We are hoping to provide a platform for SL Clubs and Championship Clubs to take notice 

@EliteRugbMngmnt

Any thoughts on if such a project will work?

Any chance you could formally introduce yourselves and what role you will play in identifying and developing the players who may attend and progress from the proposed trials?

What qualifies you, have you the relevant insurance in place to hold such a trial, will you be acting as agents, if so are you registered with the RFL etc etc etc..........

I am sure you get the picture.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

What's interesting to me is that players routinely break into the NRL at a much later age.

Fui Fui Moi Moi, Paul Rauhihi and Vinnie Anderson are immediate examples I can think of.

This guy Ma'he at Paramatta looks a great talent and there's also the lad at the Warriors who spent his early 20s doing bird and is now a regular starter.

Struggling to think of any UK examples other than Alex Walmsley and Brian Carney.

#7 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Andy Raleigh is another.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Jimmy Keinhorst at a push too.

#9 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

To have these late bloomers, you need a system that keeps these players in the game, usually a multi-tiered and widespread semi-professional system that we just don't have here. We all have players who could cut it at a higher level but without a semi pro club that you can get to conveniently, these players just don't rise to the top.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#10 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Dale Laughton didn't play until he was 18
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#11 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

Using Walmsley as an example.  He played amateur and uni RL but was outstanding at every senior level.  He was NCL player of the year, which got him the move to Batley, and then Championship young player of the year, which got him the move to St Helens.  However, how many slots do these clubs have for "project" players, which is what combines, the like of which the thread starter has proposed, will throw up.

I can only speak for what I see regularly, which would be the London Men's League.  In my view, there are semi-pro level players in that competition.  There are players who went through the Broncos academy, played competitively in other areas or high-quality converts but they're not Championship 1-ready.  Do the semi-pro teams have the time and money to turn, say, a 24-year-old into a C1 player for them?  Probably not.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#12 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

A teams would be the right level for these sorts of players, but the pro clubs voted to save a few pennies instead

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #RLtrialstar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users