Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ginger half backs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

In part of this thread we diverted away from half backs. In that case I can remember Ginger Anderson and Ginger Dixon. Both props. First names Joe and Malcolm.

#22 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Don't know how distant you are DD but there's some delay on your computer.

Ha. Gateshead so the internet runs on steam here. Apologies, l was so excited about actually remembering something l just had to post it!!!

#23 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Alan Agar, Tex Hudson & Dale Fennell, all within 10 years. Phil Butler wasn't far off being ginger too. Was Peter Banner blonde or ginger?

#24 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Well we are having "gingerisms" Robin Evans is Ginger
Im Fev and im proud

#25 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Craig Murdock at Wigan

#26 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

If you took the population as a whole only about 1% of people carry the double recessive allele, which would give Red Hair. If you then consider that half backs (including sub HBs) only make up 1/7th (approx) of a team. Therefore the number of Red Heads that have historically played at Half Back for one team is only going to have a 1/7 th of one percent probability of all the players that have ever played for that team.

In other words let's say For every 1000 players that have or will have pllayed for Rovers,only 3 half backs should be ginger. We know however, that that number will be higher because of the geographical position of Featherstone, being in the North of England. 1% of red heads represents the total as a world population. Obviously in warmer/ tropical countries where the dominant allele prevails there are few if any ginger people.
Whereas, Scotland incredibly contributes 1/5 of all red haired people as a world population.

I AM AVAILABLE IF YOU CAN'T GET YOUR KIDS TO SLEEP ON XMAS EVE.

Edited by LOWFIELD, 19 March 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

If you took the population as a whole only about 1% of people carry the double recessive allele, which would give Red Hair. If you then consider that half backs (including sub HBs) only make up 1/7th (approx) of a team. Therefore the number of Red Heads that have historically played at Half Back for one team is only going to have a 1/7 th of one percent probability of all the players that have ever played for that team.

In other words let's say For every 1000 players that have or will have pllayed for Rovers,only 3 half backs should be ginger. We know however, that that number will be higher because of the geographical position of Featherstone, being in the North of England. 1% of red heads represents the total as a world population. Obviously in warmer/ tropical countries where the dominant allele prevails there are few if any ginger people.
Whereas, Scotland incredibly contributes 1/5 of all red haired people as a world population.

I AM AVAILABLE IF YOU CAN'T GET YOUR KIDS TO SLEEP ON XMAS EVE.

deleted ya post you made when p1zzed again??? :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

There was a player at Wakey in the sixties called Harold Poynton, he played 6 and whilst receding I think he may have been a ginge.  Apparently ginger men tend to go bald quicker than non ginge's because they have fewer hair follicles, so normal male pattern baldness is a bigger problem for them.  We have ginger in my family, although I'm not a ginge, but my grandma still had a touch in her hair to her dying day. I certainly thought Deyck Fox was ginger when he first played at Fev.  Many people called Fox tend to be ginger - presumably their name comes from a nickname,l although none of the famous Rugby playing Fox family were ginger.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#29 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I was speaking to a fellow fan on Sunday about a topic and I felt very saddened that he felt unable to post as he feared that it would upset the PC brigade, such a shame as the nature of the topic was in no way offensive.

I will post it and hopefully it should stimulate and develop the thread. The topic was on the back of red headed half backs being rare. It was about the fact that there haven't been many black or black/caucasian mixed heritage players that have played at half back either.

A quick think off of the top of my head; early Ellery Hanley, Danny Wilson, Kyle Eastmond, Karl Pryce, Rodger Simpson (occasionally) and Jason Robinson at Hunslet Parkside juniour level. There are probably many others any suggestions?

Edited by Andrew Vause, 24 March 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#30 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

I was speaking to a fellow fan on Sunday about a topic and I felt very saddened that he felt unable to post as he feared that it would upset the PC brigade, such a shame as the nature of the topic was in no way offensive.

I will post it and hopefully it should stimulate and develop the thread. The topic was on the back of red headed half backs being rare. It was about the fact that there haven't been many black or black/caucasian mixed heritage players that have played at half back either.

A quick think off of the top of my head; early Ellery Hanley, Danny Wilson, Kyle Eastmond, Karl Pryce, Rodger Simpson (occasionally) and Jason Robinson at Hunslet Parkside juniour level. There are probably many others any suggestions?

The only 1 on your list i reckon was a genuine half back mate is danny Wilson, all the others were makeshift half backs and looked very uncomfortable in that postion, i cant think of many more off the top of my head

#31 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Think you're correct Dave. I meant Leon Pryce not Karl. Leon for me was never a half back either, he was more of a centre, but I get pelters for suggesting this.

#32 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

Think you're correct Dave. I meant Leon Pryce not Karl. Leon for me was never a half back either, he was more of a centre, but I get pelters for suggesting this.

Never in a month of Sundays is he a stand off, Im struggling to think of many more. Good friend of mine played international for Jamaica many years ago and he told me himself they really struggled for half backs. he actually played at 6 but he was a full back by trade but he was most suited

Edited by LOWFIELD, 24 March 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#33 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

plenty in the ozzie game

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#34 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

plenty in the ozzie game

I'm not a follower of the modern Aussie game OR, so I'm not sure now, I know George Gregan and the current Aussie RU scrum half (can't recall his name) are of African heritage.My memories of the game down under are from the 80s and early 90s. I recall several half backs who were of white/oceanic heritage such as Fred Ah Koui and Cliff Lyons and Olsen Fillipaianna (sp)but at that time there were very few players of african or mixed african heritage it may have changed now, not sure.

#35 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm not a follower of the modern Aussie game OR, so I'm not sure now, I know George Gregan and the current Aussie RU scrum half (can't recall his name) are of African heritage.My memories of the game down under are from the 80s and early 90s. I recall several half backs who were of white/oceanic heritage such as Fred Ah Koui and Cliff Lyons and Olsen Fillipaianna (sp)but at that time there were very few players of african or mixed african heritage it may have changed now, not sure.

Theres not many now really,