Alston Area

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on the area around Alston in Cumbria? Looking at a radius from Haltwhistle (North), Nenthead (East), Warcop (South), Penrith (west).

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Great in summer, but often inaccessible in winter. If you don't mind the cold and living in a place where men outnumber women by about 10:1 then go for it. Cumbria Constabulary used to send ill disciplined officers to be stationed there as a punishment.....

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#3 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Typically Pennine. Remote,cold, lonely roads & bad weather. Living in Swaledale myself (approx. 20 minutes to Warcop) I can empathise with the beauty that would attract someone to live there but the weather is a huge obstacle to your well-being if you don't like isolation. I had a week's holiday in Alston in May 2011. Lovely and sunny first part of the week. Snow at the end. It also suffers from the travelling community who pass through on the way to Appleby. We were "advised" by a pub landlord to leave as Mr Newcastle and his retinue were coming into the pub. On leaving we were nigh on run over by a horse race up the high street. I don't think I'd ever go back. Certainly not in May/June.

The Eden valley is the most remote and sparsely populated area of England. No big city within reach, not great for public transport or roads other than the A66 often closed in winter at Bowes Moor. Warcop is just like any other village in the Upper Eden Valley, small, no real community facilities, no links other than the A66. Kirkby Stephen is probably the best bet in that part of the world, although again, the travelling community overrun the town in May.

For me then it's either Penrith or Kirkby unless you have pots of money and buy a farm. Otherwise it's a long way to travel to work, or a long time spent in your own company.

#4 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Go through Warcop on the way to centre parks .

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

The whole place doesn't sound very prepossessing. I hope they are attracting you with a big wage packet.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Cumbria Constabulary used to send ill disciplined officers to be stationed there as a punishment.....

Millom too! 

Managed to avoid it mesell.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Typically Pennine. Remote,cold, lonely roads & bad weather. Living in Swaledale myself (approx. 20 minutes to Warcop) I can empathise with the beauty that would attract someone to live there but the weather is a huge obstacle to your well-being if you don't like isolation. I had a week's holiday in Alston in May 2011. Lovely and sunny first part of the week. Snow at the end. It also suffers from the travelling community who pass through on the way to Appleby. We were "advised" by a pub landlord to leave as Mr Newcastle and his retinue were coming into the pub. On leaving we were nigh on run over by a horse race up the high street. I don't think I'd ever go back. Certainly not in May/June.

The Eden valley is the most remote and sparsely populated area of England. No big city within reach, not great for public transport or roads other than the A66 often closed in winter at Bowes Moor. Warcop is just like any other village in the Upper Eden Valley, small, no real community facilities, no links other than the A66. Kirkby Stephen is probably the best bet in that part of the world, although again, the travelling community overrun the town in May.

For me then it's either Penrith or Kirkby unless you have pots of money and buy a farm. Otherwise it's a long way to travel to work, or a long time spent in your own company.

Thanks for this (and Derwent as well!).

I am not looking to permanently live in the area as work prohibits this. I am actually looking for a property I can use for holidays and potential rent for the same purpose in the future (not dependent on this income though). The missus and I (plus dog!) are very much the outdoors type so remoteness is not something that bothers me; the idea of hiking out onto Cross Fell and cycling round the quiet roads during the year is very appealing, even the idea of a bit of cross-country skiing in winter appeals (a novel way to get home at least!).

Therefore with its access to the C2C route, Pennine Way and other options for holidays, I am interested. I am due up in just over a week or so to look at properties in Garrigill (initial preference so far plus staying there whilst in the area), Leadgate and Nenthead (but distance to shop is a bit of a put off there!) but also looking slightly further afield in Park Village (Haltwhistle) and Lanercost (Brampton).

That probably all sounds a bit mental but I am not going to be stable anytime soon through work so looking for a little investment and somewhere to chill out and unwind. However, quick further question, what is the 'route' for travellers in May/Jun? Presuming Garrigill would be slightly off any beaten track since the road from Alston heads towards Middleton-in-Teesdale and not Appleby.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

My understanding is that the travelling community from the NE come down the South Tyne valley into Alston, although I believe they'll come via Barnard Castle from Newton Aycliffe which has a large travelling community. It may not be the obvious thing to do to go to Alston but I believe Alston and Kirkby Stephen are common meeting points for families and friends before they move up to Appleby.

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

For me, Penrith for its location to the M6 as well as some outstanding countryside. I have travelled through Alston many times on my way to Northumbria and always in awe of the stunning landscape, but, it's always been decent weather. 

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

My understanding is that the travelling community from the NE come down the South Tyne valley into Alston, although I believe they'll come via Barnard Castle from Newton Aycliffe which has a large travelling community. It may not be the obvious thing to do to go to Alston but I believe Alston and Kirkby Stephen are common meeting points for families and friends before they move up to Appleby.

Thanks again for this, not that it is an issue. Where I am interested in is well off any potential arteries from the NE so can't imagine it would prove an issue anyway. Oh well, let's see what next week brings!

I have travelled through Alston many times on my way to Northumbria and always in awe of the stunning landscape, but, it's always been decent weather. 

It's what is drawing me to the area; landscape and outdoor lifestyle! I read last night there is a ski-tow about 2 miles south of Garrigill... :D I also love Northumberland; I'd love to view property around the Falstone or Bellingham area but little available at present...

#11 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Langwathby, Lazonby and Kirkoswald area might also be an option. Foot of the Pennines, not too far from Penrith also on the Carlisle Settle railway line. Might be good location for all you were looking for
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#12 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Langwathby, Lazonby and Kirkoswald area might also be an option. Foot of the Pennines, not too far from Penrith also on the Carlisle Settle railway line. Might be good location for all you were looking for

Thanks SR; will have a look but little available as yet.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Offer accepted on a house in Garrigill and in the midstages of the purchase now; not bought a house before... quite exciting! Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users