TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Budget 2014 (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Here's something to keep in mind on Tuesday, when he's telling you how well he's doing: Osborne has borrowed more in 3 years than Labour did in 13: £430.072 billion compared to £429.975 billion

LUNEW.jpg

#2 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Considering the financial crash happened with two years left of the labour parliament and the coalition have been in.power.for four years during the.continuing recession and.start.of recovery id say that stat is misleading

#3 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

Considering the financial crash happened with two years left of the labour parliament and the coalition have been in.power.for four years during the.continuing recession and.start.of recovery id say that stat is misleading

Are you saying the stat is untrue? That Osbourne has not borrowed more than Labour did in less than a quarter of the time?

LUNEW.jpg

#4 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Are you saying the stat is untrue? That Osbourne has not borrowed more than Labour did in less than a quarter of the time?

Im not doubting the validity. Im saying to make the comparison is misleading

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

I hope he didn't borrow that from Wonga, the interest will be shocking.

#6 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I am no Tory apologist, but it is hard to see how any government could have failed to borrow less than Labour did, given the state of the public finances. What were they supposed to do? Reduce public sector wages by 50%, same with pensions, and benefits? Yeah, that would have worked.

There's probably a case for saying Osborne has had to borrow more than he should have done, but the original claim is silly.

And Osborne's Office for Budget Responsibility will 'adjust' the figures anyway..

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Osborne has made continual claims that he is reducing borrowing (not in so few words), he is a liar.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Osborne has made continual claims that he is reducing borrowing (not in so few words), he is a liar.

I'm not doubting your word that he is, but what are the annual figures for borrowing while he has been Chancellor?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Doesn't pay to be anybody but a rich pensioner, it seems.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Do tell!

#11 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

ISA limit increased to £15,000

Bingo tax halved.

Something about annuity drawdown.

1p off beer.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 19 March 2014 - 01:47 PM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

10% savings tax removed.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

Why isn't that nice Mr Balls doing the rebuttal?

I've never understood that bit of Parliamentary practice.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Why isn't that nice Mr Balls doing the rebuttal?

Because it was a party political response.

- Severus, July 2012

#15 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Because it was a party political response.

And doesn't it seem to have much comment on the actual budget...

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

I have no problem with that.  It's a technical budget and shouting a response 10 minutes after hearing it is a nonsense.  Far, far better to make the points he did.  That does need to be followed up with proper attacks (if there are any to be made) on the substance.

- Severus, July 2012

#17 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I have no problem with that.  It's a technical budget and shouting a response 10 minutes after hearing it is a nonsense.  Far, far better to make the points he did.  That does need to be followed up with proper attacks (if there are any to be made) on the substance.

True, but the nodding head trick is so... last year

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

True, but the nodding head trick is so... last year

I thought it was quite funny.

- Severus, July 2012

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Apparently, according to the Twitterarty, Ed Milliband was not given a redacted copy of the budget by Gideon an hour or so in advance as is customary for him to draft a rebuttal based on the budget. 

Edited by Griff9of13, 19 March 2014 - 02:51 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Seems to be a spot of "Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring" in the stock market.  Insurers and bookies finding their shares worth substantially less than they were before Gideon opened his mouth.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users