Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Budget 2014 (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

The cynic in me says that now pensioners will have complete control over their pension pots that the state pension is now fair game for being completely means-tested, much like other benefits when you have a large liquid "asset" to draw against.  Combine that with a change of name from "pension fund" to "tax efficient savings fund for your future".

"But sir, you have had the advantages of a tax efficient savings fund for all these years, now it's worth £50,000, surely it's unreasonable for the state to subsidise you while you have such cash available to you?"

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

It seems that most commentators think this was a rather dull, steady as she goes budget so I can't be bothered looking into it much.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print so it might get more interesting then.

That's me.  I'm done.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

It seems that most commentators think this was a rather dull, steady as she goes budget so I can't be bothered looking into it much.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print so it might get more interesting then.

I think Osborne had a piece of paper on which was written, "Please don't vote Ukip".

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Fleet Street Fox: Budget 2014 and all the scary stuff George Osborne didn't tell you

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I agree with the points but not the direction of travel.  Were I a young person I wouldn't be voting.  Not one policy to actually help 'me' and craven subsidy of old people cos they're are a lot of them.  Nothing will change that so why bother voting?

- Severus, July 2012

#26 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

A decade or more ago policy analysts were troubling themselves with all the future implications of an ageing population. To me, it was always a problem that electoral expediency would see solved, whatever party(ies) were in power. Not only are there lots of 'em but a higher percentage of them vote. Indeed, if a 'Grey Power' constituency could be harnessed they could extract a lot more from HMG.

LUNEW.jpg

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

I agree with the points but not the direction of travel.  Were I a young person I wouldn't be voting.  Not one policy to actually help 'me' and craven subsidy of old people cos they're are a lot of them.  Nothing will change that so why bother voting?

There are indeed a lot of 'old' people.  That's why it's helpful to give something of value to them a year before a general election.  And 'old' people tend to exercise their right to vote, unlike many 'young' people.

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

There are indeed a lot of 'old' people.  That's why it's helpful to give something of value to them a year before a general election.  And 'old' people tend to exercise their right to vote, unlike many 'young' people.

Can you trust them to deliver though/  Cameron promised to keep the OAP bus passes, and tbf he has. He's just removed the subsidy that kept many of the routes running. So we've got the passes, but no bus to use them on - simples!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#29 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

Ah've just got back from t'bingo and theers some kerfuffle on't twitter abaht t'budget.

Could it be unravelling already?

That's me.  I'm done.

#30 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Soon enough no one will have a pension pot, all of their money will have been spent on mortgages and general living costs. My parents generation don't know how good they had it!

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:47 AM

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

Just remember what Mr May said about the Tories laughing at the working class.

- Severus, July 2012

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Soon enough no one will have a pension pot, all of their money will have been spent on mortgages and general living costs. My parents generation don't know how good they had it!

Anything you might have for a pension pot will have been spent on the pension pot for the current lot.

Remember that every time you hear any government saying they're capping the welfare budget.  The one bit they're not capping is anything which goes to pensioners.  They fought in the war y'know.  All of them.  Even the ones under 70.  And their bit of the budget is comfortably over half of the total spend.  And it's getting bigger.

- Severus, July 2012

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

And the RFL didn't even have the wherewithal to ask for a tax break for rugby league clubs. Shambles.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

And the RFL didn't even have the wherewithal to ask for a tax break for rugby league clubs. Shambles.

*makes joke about jeopardy being a revenue free option to avoid tax*

*joke doesn't work*

*thinks*

- Severus, July 2012

#35 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Now a golden oldie, I remember crippling mortgage rates of 15.5% and a real struggle financially. It wasn't all hunky-dory in the 1980s.

As for the annuity change, I truly believe some people will go and blow their pension pot. That said, annuity rates are poor value at the moment and with little other choice for small funds.  

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 March 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#36 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Anything you might have for a pension pot will have been spent on the pension pot for the current lot.

Remember that every time you hear any government saying they're capping the welfare budget.  The one bit they're not capping is anything which goes to pensioners.  They fought in the war y'know.  All of them.  Even the ones under 70.  And their bit of the budget is comfortably over half of the total spend.  And it's getting bigger.

Most of those who fought in the war are dead.  They suffered the disconnection of their pensions from the pay index introduced by Lawson..  Lawson, Brittan, Joseph, Young etc owed them better than that.

My generatioin didn't fight in the war, but we did have to put up with its consequences.  Rationing, poor housing, poor school facilities, life wasn't a picnic in the fifties for kids (or adults for that matter)

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Genuine, not parody:

_73690936_bingoad.jpg

So only working class people play bingo and drink beer then?  Oh, ok. 

And who is it who is stereotyping exactly?

Edited by Saintslass, 20 March 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

And who is it who is stereotyping exactly?

It's the Tories stereotyping 'them'.

HTH.

- Severus, July 2012

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

life wasn't a picnic in the fifties for kids (or adults for that matter)

Excellent.  Better make sure that none of your benefits, free bus passes or council services are allowed to be touched.

- Severus, July 2012

#40 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

It's the Tories stereotyping 'them'.

HTH.

Aye, but it would seem that lots of people of a certain political hue are assuming 'them' refers to, well, them!